in a never ending quest for odd questions...

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
Can anyone tell me what the situation is regarding pinball tables in the Dominican Republic? Are the covered by gambling legislation or anything? It probably won't happen, but I've got a couple of tables in my home, so if I ever was to escape to the DR I wondered if they could go over there and secondly, could they be in a public place, such as a cafe?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I can't make a statement as far as the legal ramifications and requisites (you might want to try the "Legal"-Forum to get a professional answer on that one.)
However, I seem to see only very few game rooms. A small one just opened in a Victorian house next to "El Listin Diario" on Beller in Puerto Plata. Compared to how many places like these are around in other countries (EGA: Spanish cities, have them on almost every block), there seems to be really not much going on in this biz around here. Niche biz? I would not jump onto conclusions just yet. I think however, whilst Dominicans just love to gamble the culprit may be that pin ball machines are "for amusement only"... they don't promise a payout... and for amusement we have the beaches, music, Flias (plenty) and lot's more.

... J-D.

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
very true.

In the UK they are classed in the same way as fruitmachines. A pub can only have so many "gaming machines" and need a licence for each, so in recent years, they've generally gone for the most fruitmachines that they can and pinball has become rare. In a cafe in a tourist town, they may go down well on those wet afternoons, when there is a heavy downpour?