Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Prescription medication

In preperation for my upcoming relocation to RD, I am trying to figure out how to handle refilling a prescription med. I am able to get a 3 month supply initially. Does anyone have experience with refilling prescriptions while in RD?
    Rick

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Most meds you can get over the counter without a prescription. Many times you can get non generics for the same price as generics in the US

Bob K

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
    Most meds you can get over the counter without a prescription. Many times you can get non generics for the same price as generics in the US

Bob K
    Over the counter blood pressure meds... Are you sure about that?
    Rick

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of medications which require a Rx in NA do not in the DR. This includes antibiotics, hypertension medications, etc.; just about anything except barbituates, heavy-duty pain killers, and erectile dysfunction meds. The latter did not require a Rx before this year either.

It isn't over the counter in the sense that you pick it off the shelf yourself and take it to the cash register. At a Dominican pharmacia, all the medicine is behind the counter, and the pharmacia employee (I doubt if most of them are actual pharmacists) gets it for you.

Post Thanks / Like

So, most meds are available without a Rx?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default blood pressure

I have purchased over the counter both Atenolol and Lisinopril.
    Ken

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ken kopas View Post
    I have purchased over the counter both Atenolol and Lisinopril.
    Ken
    Lisinopril, for hypertension, and Simvastatin,for cholesterol, are the two I will need....
    If it's true that I can get them "over the counter".....that will be perfect.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default purchase of simvastatin

I have purchased this for my partner, several times at different farmacia's
    This is not Walmart shopping, everything is behind the counter an you ask for it, or you take in your empty bottle or container and show the pharmacist what you need.
    I am taking a BP medication not the same name, but have no trouble getting it filled. The drugs I took previously are also available.
    It seems a little unusual at first but you get used to it, by the way, pain meds like tylenol or ibprofen are also available only at the farmacia, and you can also buy by the pill...... as I said a little unusual,. Goood Luck and Welcome.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mommit View Post
    So, most meds are available without a Rx?
    Most Latin American countries have most meds available without a prescription. That's my experience. DR is no exception.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spicedwine View Post
    by the way, pain meds like tylenol or ibprofen are also available only at the farmacia, and you can also buy by the pill......
    You can buy Diclofanal (not sure about spelling) in most colmados.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast