Business Opportunities - What's Missing?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hello all,

While I've been a fan of DR1 for some time, this is my first post.

I'm considering moving down to either the North Coast or Santiago areas, and will need to figure out a way to make a living, preferably way in advance of boxing my stuff up.

I've noticed that the salaries for expats not hired by a corporation in their country of origin are, well, pretty low. However, many of the folks who post on here seem to do fairly well in that they own businesses.

I'm curious as to what businesses might be successful in DR. As expats, what products/services/aspects of life from home do you wish could be set up down here?

For example, perhaps a gym like the Gold's in Santiago? Or a movie theatre in Sosua/Cabarete? Are a lot of you invested in real estate (meaning propery ownership)?

Anything that you miss, which could be accommodated by an enterprising entrepreneur, is what I'm interested in.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Feb 7, 2007
I think it has been advised here times over:

Do not buy anything, or invest in anything, unless you have lived here 6 to 12 months.

You will get scammed by the first person trying to "help" you out.

Learn the language (better yet, come here speaking good Spanish, so in 2-3 months you will get to understand jumbo-mumbo0barrio-fast Spanish), get to know how things work locally, get to know people, establish "contacts", get to know the culture.

When opening one of my businesses here - I already had time living in the DR - (which I later closed down, fortunately no loss, but no gain either) in my early days, I was thinking I was getting a good deal with many supplies, labor, parts, materials, etc. (I was), but I could have gotten even BETTER deal had I known better.

Even today, feeling (and being accepted) as a local and knowing how most of things work, with established base and support, I leave some "stuff" to my Dominican friends or business partners to resolve. Sometimes, only a Dominican can deal with a Dominican.

Feb 7, 2007
Now that the stressful part is over, answer yourself these questions.

1) How much capital do you have available (do not answer this here - answer it to yourself).
2) Do you have enough capital to live for 12 months just "looking" and getting to know the local situation, culture, people, and investigating business opportunities?
3) After those 12 monthhs, do you have enough capital to start your business in the line of business you want?
4) Do you have enough capital to live another 12 months in the DR while your business takes off?
5) Do you have capital, and are you prepared to, loose some capital due to "greenhorn errors" and scams you will fall victim for?
6) Would you have, after all that, enough money to return back home, if you are unsuccessful here?

Feb 7, 2007
Tourism (in all forms) and hospitality (restaurants, hotels, guesthouses), finance/loans, energy, entertainment (bars/discos/nightclubs), real estate (some places, if you know how, and if you have client base to fall back on).

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Agree with Rubio_higuey
I had lots of help from Mrmike, Hill billy and other when we decide to move to Santiago.
If you are in the service industry in the States please PM so i cna introduce you to some DR1 that cna share some opinio about doing business in Santiago. Suerte
Pero lo mas importante es de que vnegas por 1-2 meses a ver los lugares donde pretendes estar, hacer compras en los upermercados y ver si el ambiente te gusta.Muchos dice ue es el pais de la maravilla donde todo se puede. y donde se pierde todo y ni cunetas te da. Pero es el mejor lugar para negocios, si la comunidad accepta tu propuesta.
Albin

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you have deep pockets or can sell it to investors: Senior citizen residence with lots of frills.
Important demographic: Both from the States and in the DR there are thousands of elderly than can use such a facility (and, more importantly--afford it)

Hb