Immigration Interview for Canada

marxsis

Aug 13, 2007
Hello All,

Last year I submitted my sponsorship application for my beautiful Dominican wife and daughter come live here with me in this amazing country Canada. After read a million forums I wasn't able to get an answer for the interview part. This month I sent an email to the Canadian Embassy in Haiti, and they responded to me with in 4 hours of me sending the email, saying that my wife may be called in September for an interview, and that they are going to finish the application soon. My question is for the interview, should I flight down, and goto the interview too? I need to know if they will allow me into the interview session with her. Has anyone else ever flew down and gone to the interview with their spouse in Santo Domingo? Also if anyone else is going through the process, and is having problems or questions feel free to message me, and I can help you with any of your questions as I have most likely been through it.

Cheers,

marxsis

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Welcome to DR1

if you read this section you'll find many members here have sponsered thier husbands recently and I can't remember any that flew down to be with them for the interview.
You'll also find that the questions asked on the interview are the same as what you have filed out in the application.

Good luck

isabelle13

Mar 8, 2006
I did fly down but you really don't need to. They do not interview you. Only good part is when the interviewer called me in to tell me my husband's visa was approved!

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
My husbands interview was this past May. I had already booked my flight to the DR prior to immigration setting the interview date. It was luck that I was there the date of the interview.

I made a guest appearance with him on the interview date. I had my Canadian passport to enter onto the premises. I did not know if they would speak with me or not. The immigration officer asked if I was his wife and I was interviewed. I was asked the majority of the questions about our relationship. Jose was interviewed separate from me. He was asked some of the same questions, but alot had to do with his plans for his future here in Canada.

This was a very positive experience...if I can call it that. I was prepared and did not hold anything back. My husband landed in Canada June 3, he's working and we are doing great!!!

I submitted my application last November. I took with me to the interview everything that had transpired after the November date to the interview date...phone bills, cards, emails, passport enteries, hotel destinations, letters from his family, my family, friends, and co-workers.

I did not have to go, but I was very happy that I did. I was able to ask questions about the process that I know our spouses are too scared to ask.

Good luck.
Sandy

alou

Mar 14, 2007
To answer your question, you don't have to be present but it helps state your case and why would you not want to be there in the first place ?.If I were you I will go.

marxsis

Aug 13, 2007
My husbands interview was this past May. I had already booked my flight to the DR prior to immigration setting the interview date. It was luck that I was there the date of the interview.

I made a guest appearance with him on the interview date. I had my Canadian passport to enter onto the premises. I did not know if they would speak with me or not. The immigration officer asked if I was his wife and I was interviewed. I was asked the majority of the questions about our relationship. Jose was interviewed separate from me. He was asked some of the same questions, but alot had to do with his plans for his future here in Canada.

This was a very positive experience...if I can call it that. I was prepared and did not hold anything back. My husband landed in Canada June 3, he's working and we are doing great!!!

I submitted my application last November. I took with me to the interview everything that had transpired after the November date to the interview date...phone bills, cards, emails, passport enteries, hotel destinations, letters from his family, my family, friends, and co-workers.

I did not have to go, but I was very happy that I did. I was able to ask questions about the process that I know our spouses are too scared to ask.

Good luck.
Sandy

Thanks Sandy, I'll keep that in mind. My wife and I are still waiting for the call. I hope to be able to make it, but I heard that they setup the interview a few days after they call, and I don't know if I can get time off work, as I just got back from Dominican earlier this year. But I will defiantly gather all my documents after I've submitted my application and get them ready, that's a great idea.

Thanks Again

SJSantos

Oct 9, 2006
We had 9 days between the call and the interview.. Everyone is different. My husband was very grateful to have me there...

I wish you and your wife all the best. The best advise I got here at the DR1 is to be patient!

All the best.
Sandy

marxsis

Aug 13, 2007
Hi all just an update I just received a letter today from our lovely embassy requesting additional documents. They requested...

- More proofs of relationship (ie: additional photos.)
- Copies of my passport pages showing all entry and exit stamps.
- Updated police certificate for 2007
- Original birth certificates for my wife and daughter
- Original marriage certificate
- An explanation why my daughters birth certificate was registered late.
- Secondary documents of birth for my daughter (ie baptismal certificate, or hospital record...)
- Form IMMRD10-A filled out and singed (which they mailed to me with this letter)

I was proactive and completed most of these requested documents before they asked for them thanks DR1!!!! So far everything is looking good. I now have my "B" file number but I’m not exactly sure what that does. Does it provide more details on the internet when accessing my wives application? Both my wife and I are getting excited. I am confident after they receive all my requested documents they will soon schedule an interview. This is the first contact I pretty much had from them since I submitted the application last October.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks for posting the details, it will help others in the future I'm sure ;)

Good luck and keep us posted with the process.

marxsis

Aug 13, 2007
When sending supporting evidence should you send the original documents, like bank statements, or phone records? I was just going to send photo copies, but I would like some advice on what other people did...

Cheers

castro

Jul 5, 2007
unsure

Why don't you contact them and ask what they want. But usually the medical and the police cert have to be original. Other than that it's photo copies. Or some of your documents need to be certifed,legalized and transalated. My husbands birth cert was not a true copy or photocopy but to make it an original document it has to be legalized. Then it is good as an original copy. As well as your marriage cert, you can't give them your orginal document. I'm not sure where your from , but I go to a place called Dominican Republic services. And they do everything for me, any help I need or any questions I ask them. They provide services I believe for hepling out when sponsoring someone.

marxsis

Aug 13, 2007
Thanks Castro, I'm from Canada, and I'm sponsoring my wife from the DR. I received a letter from the Canadian Haiti office requesting that I send some additional documents. and Some of those requests were to send orginal marriage certificate, and original birth certificates. So you are saying I should go and get a legalized copy of them?

castro

Jul 5, 2007
try this

What documents did you send when you did your application? Did you send a photocopy of the marriage cert? And a photocopy of the birth cert? When I did my paper work I used the people from the Dominican Republic services, I brought my marriage cert that I recieved when I was married and had them translate it into english aswell as legalize it , to make it a true document. These documents can not be photocopies.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Where in Canada do you live? If you want I can give you the web site, or the number and you can contact these people to get your paper work done. It takes about a week to do it. Let me know, and I would gladly give you the info . Providing we live in the same city!!!

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
when i did the papers for my husband to come to Canada i sent originals. It's super easy to get another copy of the dominican birth certificate and the same for the marriage certificate. We went to the offices and got the certificates 2 days later. Then you just need to get them translated. That was my expierence last year.

marxsis

Aug 13, 2007
when i did the papers for my husband to come to Canada i sent originals. It's super easy to get another copy of the dominican birth certificate and the same for the marriage certificate. We went to the offices and got the certificates 2 days later. Then you just need to get them translated. That was my expierence last year.

Thanks castro & dchenriquez,

Yes i just realized that it is easy to go get another copy if I ever need it. So I'm just going to send my orginals. I already have them translated, so hopefully this will be quick and easy and my wife can get her soon....:paranoid:

Milagro02

Sep 29, 2004
Can anyone tell me how do you get them to answer you.. And Im talking either on the phone or by email.. I have sent countles emails and none of them were answered. I do have the imm5476 signed allowing me to make some changes and ask for updates.. but still.. I did involve my MP and they have more answers, but everytime they're telling it'll take much longer.. They are now up to 15 months for processing any request even those who already have their Bxxxx number.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
On the Haiti embassy website

Before sending an email enquiry

also

Information you must provide in your Email Enquiry

No case specific information about an application for visa will be transmitted to you by email unless you have provided in your incoming email Name, your date of birth and your file number or FOSS client ID number.

Please be advised that only your most recent e-mail will be replied to. As a result, if you send repeat messages they will be put in queue and it will take longer for you to receive a reply. Please make sure that all information is within one e-mail message, and that you have provided the name, date of birth and file number (if applicable).

PS
yes yes I know but that's how they spelled it on the website ;)

Last edited:

marxsis

Aug 13, 2007
Can anyone tell me how do you get them to answer you.. And Im talking either on the phone or by email.. I have sent countles emails and none of them were answered. I do have the imm5476 signed allowing me to make some changes and ask for updates.. but still.. I did involve my MP and they have more answers, but everytime they're telling it'll take much longer.. They are now up to 15 months for processing any request even those who already have their Bxxxx number.

Hi Milagro02,

Calling them is next to impossible, and due too the privacy act they will not talk about your application over the phone. If you tried emailing them and they are not responding then I would try faxing them. Just make sure you include your client id #, you and your sponsors full name, and date of birth on the fax letter head. I've heard a lot of people saying that they can't get answers to their questions, but saying that I've read on here that someone faxed them with a change of address, and they called and confirmed the next day....or something like that. So maybe try faxing, and see if they respond. Good Luck

Here is the Canadian Embassy Immigration Fax Number (509) 249-9928

marxsis

Aug 13, 2007
Hellol everyone,

It's me again, just received a letter from immigration today...which had me scared and excited at the same time, they have now requested that my wife & daughter undergo a DNA test.....hmm sounds interesting....NOT!!!!.....trying to stay positive, I contacted the DNA lavatory which our fine government recommended Maxxam Analytics - The DNA Lab to find out some information like the procedures & costs...well I was informed the cost is $760.00 for the testing that includes shipping, and all the other stuff likes fancy stickers on the letter, and they even said that they would supply me with a copy of the results (I can't wait to put that in a frame, and hang it up...WOW...It's always nice to be able to show my friends and family that the government is satisfied that she is our child....All I have to say is WOW!!!! and just when I thought the worst was over, the nice kind lady told me the Embassy in Haiti is slow (Really!!! I thought quietly to myself with slight since of aww) they can take up too 4 months to process the results after the testing is complete....Well it feels like the tunnel to hell just doesn't for this cat....so any kind words, or recommendations are welcome....

Thanks

Ohh BTW I submitted my application in October 2006...Waiting ever since.....