Her's some pictures for all:

Construction going on in my neighboorhood in front of my house in Gurabo:

4zwgaih.jpg

In the back of my house:

4p4vfjc.jpg

4kuke1y.jpg

A day at the beach with the girls:

4zny8ah.jpg

And me trying to decidce if I'm going to work, play the xbox or post on DR1, hmmm.....

6gbzs5w.jpg

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Did you gain weight? mucho arroz y habichuelas? huh;)

I personally think it's the "jumbo" a day because everybody tells me I eat little compared to the Dominican guys. Also, when I go back to the States for work every so often I pick up a couple of pounds from eating all of the junk over there - it's no wonder we Americans are becoming obese with the portions they serve - I rarely finish what they give me. It could be too that I'm not a spring chicken at 42, haha but I'm a fighting it, I go to the gym twice a week but maybe 4 times a week would be better!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chip only looks heavy in pictures, in real life, he is fit.
Nice pictures chips.
AZB

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
I personally think it's the "jumbo" a day because everybody tells me I eat little compared to the Dominican guys. Also, when I go back to the States for work every so often I pick up a couple of pounds from eating all of the junk over there - it's no wonder we Americans are becoming obese with the portions they serve - I rarely finish what they give me. It could be too that I'm not a spring chicken at 42, haha but I'm a fighting it, I go to the gym twice a week but maybe 4 times a week would be better!

i HOPE I didn't offend you, I remember how u said your wife calls you "xxx seco" remember? and I had seen u in another picture looking much thinner but this is a better look.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
i HOPE I didn't offend you, I remember how u said your wife calls you "xxx seco" remember? and I had seen u in another picture looking much thinner but this is a better look.

No offense taken, I am what I am, feo! hahahaha

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Here some more pictures I took today:

One of my best friends Javier and his lovely wife Cristina:

6gbrfgz.jpg

A new commercial plaza right in front of the neighbood entrance:

4z8ucrl.jpg

The road going to my daughters school and the Tourist Highway:

4m813ip.jpg

Holy Trinity School:

4m9bo95.jpg

A little girl at the local grocery store:

5z42ohz.jpg

Some friends at the local grocery store:

63t966g.jpg

Some friends at the local farmacy:

6f8cw75.jpg

A local motoconcho frien of mine "Tony" who has the thickest country acccent I have ever heard from San Jose De La Mata:

5ybzpz5.jpg

Some friends at the local Supermarket:

5xdg6dt.jpg

Sep 19, 2005
No offense taken, I am what I am, feo! hahahaha

yes chip you are my friend , but I certainly dont take offense, when you call yourself ugly ha ha ha ha....

I might take it if you called ME ugly, when in fact i am MONSTROUSLY wapo!!!!!!!! ha ha ha ha

bob

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
La 27 pa' Tamboril, what traffic!:

6agbnk2.jpg

Some friends at the local hardware store:

4uw43a0.jpg

Supermecado Nacional:

4qdv52a.jpg

La 27 at E. Sadhala with the new fangled timers:

6379ilv.jpg

A good Mexican restauramnt in Los Jardines "Algo Mexicano":

6h38qx3.jpg

Good chicken sandwhiches, especially with a Presidente:

4qd9urp.jpg

Kids playing basketball in a park in Los Jardines:

6h76tn8.jpg

Metro Station:

4yg1amb.jpg

Jodenorte:

4uk5zrp.jpg

Ayuntanamiento:

61wl8qf.jpg

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Nice highrise condos:

6gknltt.jpg

Jodetel:

66m7bwm.jpg

La Union Medica:

5224lm0.jpg

A nice Commercial Plaza on JP Duarte pa' Moca:

52w61lk.jpg

Helados Bon on JP Duarte:

61l1khz.jpg

I only had a slight problem when I was at the Supermecado Nacional and the head of security told me I couldn't shoot photos. For all you out there that think the DR is racist - they are not mostly - just classisits! I'm as white as I come and I was in a nice long sleeve shirt and jeans but made the fatal mistake of going out in the motoi' - hence the knee jerk reaction to stop me. He said no pictures are allowed where I responded "hey this is a free country isn't it?" and he say "not in this parking lot" I then responded, "Hey I was just taking a couple of photos as recuerdos for some friends". Stiill he said it is not permissible. Finally I sadi "Hey look bud, I do most of my shopping here and it ain't peanuts, would like you like to guess how much I spend on a weekly basis?" Whereupon he finally softens up and says I can talk with the manager and he's sure that he will let me take the photos.

If they only would run the damn country the way they do their supermarkets(with respect to following the law) things would get better, oh well.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If they only would run the damn country the way they do their supermarkets(with respect to following the law) things would get better, oh well.
Indeed!

Private property is private property, what can anyone do! :cheeky:

You know Chip, you could had taken the photos from the sidewalk since they are public property rather than the "private open to the public" parking lot.

Just a reminder, remember that government, military, airports, etc are not suppose to be photographed. Yes, I know people take pictures of them all the time, especially the airports, but be aware that authorities do have the right to confiscate the camera from anyone caught taking a photo of those places.

Just a reminder.

Oh yes, those are some good shots you guys are posting!

-NALs

Sep 19, 2005
Indeed!

Private property is private property, what can anyone do! :cheeky:

You know Chip, you could had taken the photos from the sidewalk since they are public property rather than the "private open to the public" parking lot.

Just a reminder, remember that government, military, airports, etc are not suppose to be photographed. Yes, I know people take pictures of them all the time, especially the airports, but be aware that authorities do have the right to confiscate the camera from anyone caught taking a photo of those places.

Just a reminder.

Oh yes, those are some good shots you guys are posting!

-NALs

yeah i found out at JFK in the new terminal...I took some on my first trip through it...but the second trip an army guy in fatigues with an M-16 came over to me and said "STOP THAT"........I asked"is the gun loaded".....he didnt like that question ha ha ha

bob

bob

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Chip, where's your helmet. ooppss, I forgot. You're dominican now..

zeus (cibaen~o.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Speaking of Santiago, I have noticed that many business are open until 9 pm on the weekdays, so now it is possible to see many people out and about downtown. I believe it should be relativley safe up to that hour.

Also, a lot of business are opening now on Sunday.

Santiago is truly progressing. I think I will post a few pictures from Camp Davis this pm.

ciao de Los Treinta

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
AZB tu comiendo como un rey y yo comiendo disparates aqui en Boston!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If disparates are the typically fare gringos eat at lunch I'm with you. Every time I go back to the States I have to eat that crap and I end up gaining 5 lbs. If it weren't for the Dominican restaurants that I eat at 5 days out of the week I would probably gain 10 lbs.

Que viva la bandera Dominicana con una fria y aguacate!!!!!!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hopefully I can get some more pics today when I go out. The problem with getting fotos of unknown people(like Santiagueras) is that I don't like to stand out so much like a tourist by taking photos... it blows my pobre diablo rubio que vende chucheria cover you know. :)

However, it wil be a different story when I get my new cell phone on my next trip back to the States next month.

BTW, does anybody in santiago know where I can get a good used Nokia N93 in country????

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A nice house in Los Llanos

63ii81e.jpg

A field of plastano on Las Los Rieles

6gxmkcx.jpg

Looking across a field from Los Rieles to Cerro Hermoso

4ouceit.jpg

Aguacate a 20 pesos - deje el relajo!

4ot4rye.jpg

Dos Santiagueras en La 27

62p8fmd.jpg

Looking at the lomita of the Cerros de Gurabo from Ave Texas

5z1j610.jpg

Immigration office

4vgsf12.jpg

Aguacate a 30 pesos - que me de tres!

61mhvcx.jpg

Vehicle entrance to Jose Maria Cabral Hospital on the Sabana Larga

6ex5ixj.jpg

Public Entrance

4zm5mki.jpg

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Two doctors chilling out

623dwt3.jpg

A doctor and an admistrator at the hospital eating lunch

54dmplc.jpg

El Leon Jimenez Museum

66v5fdx.jpg

Pictures of stuff on sale in museum

6cr7bpi.jpg

61trtoh.jpg

4mb4593.jpg

Attendant at museum

4vrcytf.jpg

Making world class cigars

4tscal2.jpg

Selling world class cigars at gringo prices

5yw9po5.jpg

MAR this is for you:

Breakfast: plastano con juevos RD30
Lunch: Arroz, habichuela, carne, ensalad y aguacate RD 50
Dinner: Plastano con salami RD30
Barrigita: RD800 al mes para el ginasio!

4r7o8i8.jpg