SUVs: Diesel? Standard Transmission?

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
I have been casually in the market for a new or recent SUV for 2 - 3 years.

* My major requirements? A diesel engine + a standard transmission.

* The results? Zero! it is more difficult to find an SUV with a standard transmission than it is to find an honest DR lawyer! I do not exagerate.

* My questions? Why? Most SUV manufacturers make SUVs with diesel engines; most are not sold in the USA for 'green' reasons; in other countries, including the DR, they are widely sold.

* It seems nearly impossible to buy a sedan or SUV in the DR with a standard transmission! Pick up trucks? Yes. Why?

* Lack of demand? Are there no traditionalists who remember fondly when all cars had mechanical transmission, @ before 1950.

* Economy conscious drivers? Usually a standard transmission will get 10 - 15% better gas or diesel mileage than an automatic.

* Am I trying to find a dinosaur? Suggestions? Comments?

* My apologies to the Dominican legal profession. I intended only humor! Thank you.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Diesel and standard all the way !

Go for a regular "camioneta doble cabina", and get a 4x4 model if you can... Toyota or Nissan... Without any bells & whistles :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I have been casually in the market for a new or recent SUV for 2 - 3 years.

* My major requirements? A diesel engine + a standard transmission.

* The results? Zero! it is more difficult to find an SUV with a standard transmission than it is to find an honest DR lawyer! I do not exagerate.

* My questions? Why? Most SUV manufacturers make SUVs with diesel engines; most are not sold in the USA for 'green' reasons; in other countries, including the DR, they are widely sold.

* It seems nearly impossible to buy a sedan or SUV in the DR with a standard transmission! Pick up trucks? Yes. Why?

* Lack of demand? Are there no traditionalists who remember fondly when all cars had mechanical transmission, @ before 1950.

* Economy conscious drivers? Usually a standard transmission will get 10 - 15% better gas or diesel mileage than an automatic.

* Am I trying to find a dinosaur? Suggestions? Comments?

* My apologies to the Dominican legal profession. I intended only humor! Thank you.

You shoudl be able to find the smaller SUV's like the Honda or Toyota Rav4 with standard, the only thing is they are unibody type and don't have chassis - which means they aren't as strong and therefore durable.

Squat gives good advice, those 4 door 4x4 p'up's have chassi and you really won't find anything better.

If you still insist, you can get a Mitsubishi Montero Sport in deisel but not standard more than likely. The good thing is everybody knows how to work on them, they are reliable and have a chassis.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
In the the Capital most SUV's are automatic because they have a much better resale value. Dominicans don't like standard shift cars. It is harder to drive with a bottle of Brugal in your hand.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Toyota Hilux.
Diesel & stick shift (call it "standard", "manual"). It's a pickup which comes in a variety of versions and grades, which is not designed for the US market, so stick shift is available. Most sold to the Latin American market are assembled in Argentina.
I got one of these, high version, 2x4, double cab... 29miles to the gallon!
I am not selling it. :)

... J-D.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
If you use a car with mechanical transmission on the countryside it's great, in the capital you're a mosachist.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
many die-hard, old school, red-neck, long - haul, tractor-trailer truck drivers don't part easily with their manual transmissions. but, when ordered, by the boss, into an automatic, in short order they become believers. it's kinda like going without hot water, electricity, indoor plumbing,,,,,,,c'mon. this is 2007, as i type this message it will be read worldwide in microseconds.............i can get black and white TV's if anybody needs one..................in the campo they are being thrown out...........

swake

Oct 27, 2002
many die-hard, old school, red-neck, long - haul, tractor-trailer truck drivers don't part easily with their manual transmissions. but, when ordered, by the boss, into an automatic, in short order they become believers. it's kinda like going without hot water, electricity, indoor plumbing,,,,,,,c'mon. this is 2007, as i type this message it will be read worldwide in microseconds.............i can get black and white TV's if anybody needs one..................in the campo they are being thrown out...........

Too easy.
Since automatic transmissions were first introduced in the early 50ies you would expect that manual shifted cars would be museum dinosaurs by now, which clearly is not the case. Automatic transmissions still are more fuel and power efficient. Off course manual transmissions will not last as technology improves but until then drivers will opt for manuals with good reason.

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
AT for Americans

.... will opt for manuals with good reason.
Have you ever changed the ATF, flushed the AT and its filter?
Don't tell me you had it done by a 'street mechanic'...

I like manual transmissions.

Janin

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Land Rover Defender has both those features.

Manual all the way! Automatics are for wusses! ;)

Automatic transmissions still are more fuel and power efficient.
That's news to me - I always thought that manual was almost universal in Europe precisely because they were more fuel efficient.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Manual transmissions are the best !

Every now and then, you might have an "empty" battery. With a manual transmission, just ask 2 or 3 guys in the street to push your vehicle, and it will start...

It doesn't appear to work on an automatic...

hi-tec

Jun 15, 2004
buy it with bad auto transmission, replace it with a manual t... diesel/manual alltheyway, automatic for ladies and lazy, sorry guys.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
Someone of the manuel transmittion lovers should explain me its advantage in a city like Sto. Domingo with the todays amount of traffic.

In addition, the modern automatic transmitions (for exc. VW, Audi, Porsche) are changing the gears so fast that most of the time you cruise on 1500 to 2000 revolutions.

A/C's are the real fuel consumers, but if you open the window in the capital you get poisoned.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Someone of the manuel transmittion lovers should explain me its advantage in a city like Sto. Domingo with the todays amount of traffic.
It's a cultural thing. In Europe you're not really given the choice, unless you have a leg missing. So it what's we're used to.

A/C's are the real fuel consumers, but if you open the window in the capital you get poisoned.
That is certainly true.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
I'm European as well and I've a 1980 Alfa Spider waiting that I'll drive a few kilometers per year.
This car has one of the most exact manuel transmissions and I enjoy to drive through the mountains for fun.
Nevertheless, driving in any big city worldwide, automatic is my joice.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
In the DR it has GOT to be automatic gearbox. How else can you manage a cellphone in one hand, a Presidente in the other AND change gear all at the same time?? ;) :cheeky: - Grahame.

May 5, 2007
Times have changed

Many many years ago,in a Galaxy far away, in the 60's and early 70's, "Slushbuckets" (Auto Transmissions) were unreliable and gas hogs, things have changed

Old autos relied on fluid transfer for power, modern auto transmissions use lock up torque converters and direct mechanical couplings to provide the same gas mileage advantage as a standard. Beside that, the computer in a modern car manages the gear selection far better than any human being could thus providing optimal fuel economy

As to reliability, do you think that 140,000 pound tanks with 1,500 HP engines would use auto transmissions if they were not reliable? Almost all new heavy duty fleet trucks, Government fleet vehicles and so forth use auto transmissions as well as heavy earth moving equipment.

The basis for the standard transmission is driver control, to be able to "override" the optimal gas economy to provide more motoring thrills and the fun of "winding it through the gears" Give me a standard anyday for the open road with the top down and the growl of a 365hp 327 Corvette, nothing like it.

On another note; A/C actually "increases" fuel economy at highway speeds as having the windows rolled down on a modern aerodynamic car causes airflow disruption and drag. Around town running the A/C just might use more fuel, but the amount versus the comfort is hardly worth arguing

swake

Oct 27, 2002
Land Rover Defender has both those features.

Manual all the way! Automatics are for wusses! ;)

That's news to me - I always thought that manual was almost universal in Europe precisely because they were more fuel efficient.

Hi Chiri
off course that should be
Manuel transmissions still are more fuel and power efficient.
My mistake. Tnx
Swake