Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question SUVs: Diesel? Standard Transmission?

I have been casually in the market for a new or recent SUV for 2 - 3 years.

* My major requirements? A diesel engine + a standard transmission.

* The results? Zero! it is more difficult to find an SUV with a standard transmission than it is to find an honest DR lawyer! I do not exagerate.

* My questions? Why? Most SUV manufacturers make SUVs with diesel engines; most are not sold in the USA for 'green' reasons; in other countries, including the DR, they are widely sold.

* It seems nearly impossible to buy a sedan or SUV in the DR with a standard transmission! Pick up trucks? Yes. Why?

* Lack of demand? Are there no traditionalists who remember fondly when all cars had mechanical transmission, @ before 1950.

* Economy conscious drivers? Usually a standard transmission will get 10 - 15% better gas or diesel mileage than an automatic.

* Am I trying to find a dinosaur? Suggestions? Comments?

* My apologies to the Dominican legal profession. I intended only humor! Thank you.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Diesel and standard all the way !

Go for a regular "camioneta doble cabina", and get a 4x4 model if you can... Toyota or Nissan... Without any bells & whistles

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gringosabroso View Post
    I have been casually in the market for a new or recent SUV for 2 - 3 years.

* My major requirements? A diesel engine + a standard transmission.

* The results? Zero! it is more difficult to find an SUV with a standard transmission than it is to find an honest DR lawyer! I do not exagerate.

* My questions? Why? Most SUV manufacturers make SUVs with diesel engines; most are not sold in the USA for 'green' reasons; in other countries, including the DR, they are widely sold.

* It seems nearly impossible to buy a sedan or SUV in the DR with a standard transmission! Pick up trucks? Yes. Why?

* Lack of demand? Are there no traditionalists who remember fondly when all cars had mechanical transmission, @ before 1950.

* Economy conscious drivers? Usually a standard transmission will get 10 - 15% better gas or diesel mileage than an automatic.

* Am I trying to find a dinosaur? Suggestions? Comments?

* My apologies to the Dominican legal profession. I intended only humor! Thank you.
    You shoudl be able to find the smaller SUV's like the Honda or Toyota Rav4 with standard, the only thing is they are unibody type and don't have chassis - which means they aren't as strong and therefore durable.

Squat gives good advice, those 4 door 4x4 p'up's have chassi and you really won't find anything better.

If you still insist, you can get a Mitsubishi Montero Sport in deisel but not standard more than likely. The good thing is everybody knows how to work on them, they are reliable and have a chassis.

Post Thanks / Like

Mazda makes one: a 4 x 4 with diesel engine and 5 on the floor.

Hb

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

In the the Capital most SUV's are automatic because they have a much better resale value. Dominicans don't like standard shift cars. It is harder to drive with a bottle of Brugal in your hand.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Toyota Hilux.
    Diesel & stick shift (call it "standard", "manual"). It's a pickup which comes in a variety of versions and grades, which is not designed for the US market, so stick shift is available. Most sold to the Latin American market are assembled in Argentina.
    I got one of these, high version, 2x4, double cab... 29miles to the gallon!
    I am not selling it.

... J-D.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you use a car with mechanical transmission on the countryside it's great, in the capital you're a mosachist.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

many die-hard, old school, red-neck, long - haul, tractor-trailer truck drivers don't part easily with their manual transmissions. but, when ordered, by the boss, into an automatic, in short order they become believers. it's kinda like going without hot water, electricity, indoor plumbing,,,,,,,c'mon. this is 2007, as i type this message it will be read worldwide in microseconds.............i can get black and white TV's if anybody needs one..................in the campo they are being thrown out...........

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amparocorp View Post
    many die-hard, old school, red-neck, long - haul, tractor-trailer truck drivers don't part easily with their manual transmissions. but, when ordered, by the boss, into an automatic, in short order they become believers. it's kinda like going without hot water, electricity, indoor plumbing,,,,,,,c'mon. this is 2007, as i type this message it will be read worldwide in microseconds.............i can get black and white TV's if anybody needs one..................in the campo they are being thrown out...........
    Too easy.
    Since automatic transmissions were first introduced in the early 50ies you would expect that manual shifted cars would be museum dinosaurs by now, which clearly is not the case. Automatic transmissions still are more fuel and power efficient. Off course manual transmissions will not last as technology improves but until then drivers will opt for manuals with good reason.

On Vacation....
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AT for Americans

Quote Originally Posted by swake View Post
    .... will opt for manuals with good reason.
    Have you ever changed the ATF, flushed the AT and its filter?
    Don't tell me you had it done by a 'street mechanic'...

I like manual transmissions.

Janin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast