Problems with SKYPE

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
There are connection problems with SKYPE for all that are wondering. It is world wide not just the DR

UPDATED 14:02 GMT: Some of you may be having problems logging into Skype. Our engineering team has determined that it?s a software issue. We expect this to be resolved within 12 to 24 hours. Meanwhile, you can simply leave your Skype client running and as soon as the issue is resolved, you will be logged in. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Additionally, downloads of Skype have been temporarily disabled. We will make downloads available again as quickly as possible.

BeachyGirl

Jul 24, 2007
I love Skype - not bad for a free solution, eh? All in all, aside from this small problem they seem to be addressing, is Skype a pretty sood solution for communication from the DR? I am moving to Bavaro next month and wonder if I even need to set up a land line for my apartment. A was considering a mobile phone and Skype, sound like a good plan from those of you currently there?

Input is appreciated!!

BeachyGirl

BeachyGirl

Jul 24, 2007
Yes thats how all of my friends communicate in/from the DR, land lines are expensive to run here. Good luck with your move

For those that are unaware of Skype check in out

Skype - internet calls - download Skype free now - free calls - official website

Great news, thank you! On the topic of communicating online, what is the best internet provider for reliability and what seems to be the average monthly bill I am to expect?

Also, anyone heard anything about Skype possibly getting bought and not being free anymore in the near future or is that just a scary, nasty rumor! :)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I love Skype - not bad for a free solution, eh? All in all, aside from this small problem they seem to be addressing, is Skype a pretty sood solution for communication from the DR? I am moving to Bavaro next month and wonder if I even need to set up a land line for my apartment. A was considering a mobile phone and Skype, sound like a good plan from those of you currently there?

Input is appreciated!!

BeachyGirl

We don't have a landline anymore at our finca in the hills near Sabaneta and rely on Skype for all of our calls, even just 2 cents a minute to the UK and now very good reception. Our mobiles often don't have service here either but usually we can rely on Skype - this hiccup seems to be a 'one off' situation.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
While Skype is down, there are alternatives. You can call landlines with Yahoo Messenger. Pricing is similar to Skype. You can talk free, computer to computer with Paltalk. www.paltalk.com

RickC

Sep 29, 2006
I downloaded Skype a while ago and the connections are great...The problem I'm having is my internet explorer crashes whenever I have Skype installed. If I remove Skype...internet explorer is fine.
Any ideas?
Rick

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I downloaded Skype a while ago and the connections are great...The problem I'm having is my internet explorer crashes whenever I have Skype installed. If I remove Skype...internet explorer is fine.
Any ideas?
Rick

Rick, have you posted this on the Skype forum? There is a section of the forum where you can post problems and there is good follow up by the technicians.

Skype Forums

EMTuKnowMe

Nov 15, 2006
This is what I got from skype. I pulled it from their website at 1220pm today:

Where we are at 1100 GMT
By Villu Arak on August 17, 2007.
Hello all,

As Europe has woken up to a new day and Asia is entering the evening hours, here’s the latest on the sign-on problem.

We’re on the road to recovery. Skype is stabilizing, but this process may continue throughout the day.

An encouraging number of users can now use Skype once again. We know we’re not out of the woods yet, but we are in better shape now than we were yesterday.

Finally, we’d like to dispel a couple of theories that we are still hearing. Neither Wednesday’s planned maintenance of our web-based payment services nor any form of attack was related to the current sign-on issues in any way.

We’ll update you again as soon as we can. Thanks for hanging tight.

RickC

Sep 29, 2006
Rick, have you posted this on the Skype forum? There is a section of the forum where you can post problems and there is good follow up by the technicians.

Skype Forums

Ken... I wasn't aware of that forum...I checked it out and ..sure enough, I found that it is caused by the "internet explorer add on" whatever that is :)
Supposedly if the add on is removed, the problem goes away..
Any ideas on how to remove the add on?
THANKS for your help Ken
Rick

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Rick, post your question on the Skype forum. You'll get an informed answer. Over the years, I've gone to the forum a number of times for help and always got answers.

RickC

Sep 29, 2006
Rick, post your question on the Skype forum. You'll get an informed answer. Over the years, I've gone to the forum a number of times for help and always got answers.

Thanks Ken,

I looked at that forum and posted my question. I have not heard from anyone yet, however, I figured out the solution on my own.

While on the internet explorer page....
click tools...internet options...the programs tab....manage add ons.....
scroll down to skype and click on "disable"
restart the computer and all is well :)

Thanks again for your help.
Rick