Bahia Principe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Puerto Plata Digital is reporting on a hotel fire on the San Juan.Is this the same hotel that had been closed last week over the norovirus? Hmm?Coincidence?

maggiemay

Aug 31, 2002
Isn't this the same hotel chain that had a fire a couple of months back in Punta Cana???

The bahia principe San Juan fire only affected the convention centre which is at the entrance to the hotel well away from the hotel infrastructure (I would guess about 300 - 500m). So not even close to the Pueblo principe which lines the main entrace way. The hotel will not be accepting guests until at least the 30th Sept and some Tour Operators have stop saled the hotel for more time incase of further delays.
Maggiemay

Euterpe

Aug 20, 2007
This is turning into a Monthy Python for my family - we booked a holiday back on June into this hotel, arriving 29th August.
1) travelling with mother 86 yrs old, so contact hotel to book central room
2) virus scare => I contact hotel management & travel agent, insured all OK, no health risk for aged mother
3) possible hurricane warning, I reassure said mother all is safe
4) read report of fire in hotel and subsequent closure, call travel agents ( Thomas Cook) who are not even aware of situation, and ask where we will be staying - they have no idea...
5) update parent on situation, who asks whether there are any revolutionary movements in Dom.Rep. or likelihood of hijacking during flight..
5) inform aged mother that we may be going to Blackpool instead...

Seriously, I am beginning to wonder - and I really really want to take Mother to the DR as she has never been to the Caribbean !

Question: if T.Cook offer us another hotel in DR, does anyone have a recommendation I should plump for ? Presuming hotel would probably be in same chain .

Muchas gracias - ta muchly
B.

Joy-H

Jun 4, 2007
www.bebo.com
lol, sorry for laughing, but there are so many conflicting stories its beyond a joke now.
We go the 12th Sept to the said hotel and when I mentioned the fire to the TA at Going Places, she didnt have a clue what I was on about either but she did say that it may be the case that if we need to be moved we may not find out till we have stepped off the plane in the DR. She did mention that if we are moved it would be to the riu merengue.

Roll on Sept 12th :)

Euterpe

Aug 20, 2007
Have now spoken with General Management of the hotel chain, in Palma de Mallorca. They confirm that hotel is closed until probably end of September, but have no knowledge of a fire. Then called Thomas Cook who still did not know that the hotel was closed - although the Bahia Principe Manager for the UK said that she had informed all travel agents over a week ago.... Now waiting to find out under which bridge/in which beach house they will be lodging us. Have told T.C. that I expect an upgrade or rebate in exchange for doing their work for them !

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
5) update parent on situation, who asks whether there are any revolutionary movements in Dom.Rep. or likelihood of hijacking during flight..
5) inform aged mother that we may be going to Blackpool instead...

Mother can be reliably informed that revolutionary movements are 'orf' at present and hijacking is most unlikely (seen the tourist faces on a 9 hour flight............?).

Please also inform mother that I am currently investigating likelihood of plague of locusts..................:) and will report back if results prove positive.

Honestly, with your sense of humour you're going to have a ball whichever hotel you go to. If you get the option for Costa Dorada, both Iberostar & what used to be called Coral Marien seem to receive consistently good reports.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Idea

This thread I started with a humble question has all the makings of a terrific sitcom/farce. Ginnie shall we collaborate?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This thread I started with a humble question has all the makings of a terrific sitcom/farce. Ginnie shall we collaborate?

OK you take the 'insurance' nudge, nudge, ;);) plot and I'll keep hunting down likelihood of plague of locusts. After that I've got asteroid hit and ice age to look into..........all in 8 days. Got to do a thorough job for Euterpe's mum. :)

Euterpe

Aug 20, 2007
Did I mention, people, that I speak spanish and scared the bejeesus out of the Bahia Principe management in Palma when I told them that there had been a fire at their hotel??
Still waiting for Thomas "our world revolves around you" Cook to get back to me about eventual lodgings next week - although they did leave a message on my cell saying that "they had no information for me yet " .... are all their employees recruited from the Civil Service ? I mean, it's only the 22nd , they have all of 6 days to sort things out...
Ah well, I can always get pickled 14 days straight and not notice anything else... come to think of it, a plague of locusts could be interesting...

Euterpe

Aug 20, 2007
Hooray - have been told that we are staying at the Riu Bachata... seems potable, and beats sleeping on the beach with the mozzies ! ( note to self : studiously avoid Spanish lessons round the pool and karaoke evening...). Now all I need is a swimsuit that fits, and to remember to ask for a funda in the shops, not a bolsa !

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Rio San Juan,
Please stop being "Gutted" all over the place, it is making quite a mess on the floor! You have been told on another thread that the Riu Bachata is an improvement over the Bahia Principe & from all that I have seen in the past - this is absolutely true ........... for MOST people. You have entry rights also to Riu Merengue & Riu Mambu - both on the same complex.

OK, all the three above may not have the 'animation team' you are used to but they will have a better quality of 'chat up lines'! Puerto Plata is not too far away so if dancing/discos & other entertainment starts to pail a bit, you can always hot foot it into the POP discos & get yourself into all sorts of problems if that is your want!!

If the TOUR company that you booked with are not using that hotel for a few weeks, that is unfortunate but obviously a decision they have made for the overall good & safety of their guests. I am SURE you have the right to FULL compensation for them cancelling the hotel you chose - alternatively why not re-book the Bahia Principe in a months time?? Be POSITIVE & enjoy a new experience!! ~ Grahame.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
hi all

i am so gutted to be staying at a dump which is named
RIU BACHATA

what a joke this place looks like the hotel the clampits built

this is nothing compared to bahia principe

i called the hotel and was told by the general manager their that they would re open 31st august so i dont know why we cant go.
this is such a awful situation..

XXX

Having stayed at both properties (can you say that), the "dump" named Riu Bachata is a better "dump" than the one named Bahia Principe - Rio San Juan. It may not have your preferred selection of sankies but it has it's own selection ready, willing and able to set young British hearts all aflutter.

Gregg

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Hey guys, be fair. Rio has grown out of sankie smooching, haven't you Rio? I don't want to divulge her personal info because it'd probably ruin her reputation :) but I think it safe to say she is no longer in the sankie market.

Rio, you wouldn't have wanted to stay at Bahia this time around - first they had the lurgy then they had exorcism by fire..........and if you want to visit friends in the village for a day trip you can always hop on a gua-gua for an hour and a half. Wear a sports bra. ;)

Feb 7, 2007
I agree with FireGuy, having stayed at Riu Bachata 2 times. Both times I got free upgrade to a suite in the building on the cliff overviewing the ocean... very splendid views (and this has nothing to do my being an incoming tour op as I went incognito).

Riu Bachata has a nice staff, good food, and OK entertainment. (Though when we go to resorts we usually only get to see the night show as we spend the rest of the time drinking and sleeping).

As mentioned, you will have access to all hotels on the premises (Riu Merengue and Riu Mambo) and the hotel disco is also nice, cool (temperaturewise) and you can entertain yourself there for a few hours.

I have not been to BP SJ but I have been to the "Royal 6 star" BP on Cayo Levantado and that was worse than a regular resort. I was bored and had nothing to eat (and I am absolutely not picky and eat everything and that means Everything [snakes, snales, crocodiles and other stuff is off the list]) and was happy to stay there 3 nights only.

But some people will never be happy.... so smile, and enjoy your vacations!

Feb 7, 2007
OK, time limit's off...

Riu Bachata:

AND, you will have 4 bottles of booze in your room along with fully stocked minibar.

Feb 7, 2007
Bushbaby, a walk-in would never, ever, get rates as tour ops get. Not even with good contacts within the resorts. I myself do a lot of busieness via German tour ops, because their end client rates are about the same as what the resorts charge American or Canadian tour operators wholesale. (Basically, a prime example of price discrimination based on target market). So I get lots of my wholesale from biggest German tourops. That way I can do better rate than anybody on my target markets.

What I want to say is that if she goes for flight only, and books AI herself, she would end up paying much more than paying taxi a few times to RSJ from Riu Bachata or other Playa Dorada hotels.

RIO: Iberostar Playa Dorada gets good reviews. If you prefer, talk to your TA to book you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.