Legal Fees For Modifying A Birth Certificate

Esquire

Apr 27, 2005
My wife's birth certificate has incorrect information recorded on it, and needs to be corrected so she can complete her visa processing. I was told by one attorney that it would costs 30,000 pesos (or about $910 USD) to modify/correct her birth certificate. However, the only thing mistake is so minor that 30,000 pesos seems way too much for such a minor mistake. The mistake is only in the spelling of her name and is akin to an incomplete spelling: Ron instead of Ronald, Rob instead of Robert, Lew instead of Lewis. However, all of the information on her cedula and passport is totally correct. Is anyone familiar with the going rates for such a birth certificate modification?

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
Yeah, i've just found out that its a huge mafia. RD$30,000 sounds about right. You can try getting around it if you have "insiders" doing the work for you, but if you go through a lawyer the cost will be on the higher end.

Note: when you get any document from Dominican office, check it right there and make sure it is correct, as getting corrections later will cost you more.