staying after vacation

Tony/Nicole

Aug 17, 2007
My partner and I and our daughter are planning to relocate to DR. My question is....I have seen alot of posts talking about getting visas and residency....but I have also seen posted that if you come as a tourist and just stay, it will only cost about 60us to leave if you have stayed more than 5YEARS longer than your tourist card allows...is this true? We operate an online buisiness and work from home...all we require is a high speed internet conection....so we would not need to work there....however from my many visits it seems that even that could be possible without a visa or resident status. Any help would be appreciated

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
The fine is not quite that cheap and the rules are not guaranteed to stay the same. For now, you can arrive, stay and when you leave pay the fine... many do it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Here are the penalty amounts for overstaying:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/attachmen...immigration-taxes-fines-immigration_taxes.pdf
15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

That works out to $.25 a day if you stay 5 years!
tambo'

BeachyGirl

Jul 24, 2007
So, let me see if I understand....

The last time I lived in the DR was in 2003-2004. I paid roughly $10 when I arrived, and when I left 10 months later, I don't recall paying anything, so if I did, it wasn't a significant amount to remember. I didn't have any other visa than my tourist visa, I worked at a resort while I was there. I am planning on moving back to Punta Cana next month, and want to be clear - how long do I have (legally) before I need to file for a more permanent visa? And how much does that cost? Is it cheaper to just pay the fine? I will be going back to the states several times a year, so will that change things?

Thanks guys, and I've said it before - the welcoming and helpful nature of this website is a reflection of the DR itself. I can't imagine not having DR1 and all of you awesome "friends" out there to help the rest of us, and I hope one day I will have the knowledge and insight to help others on this site. Cheers!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
So, let me see if I understand....

The last time I lived in the DR was in 2003-2004. I paid roughly $10 when I arrived, and when I left 10 months later, I don't recall paying anything, so if I did, it wasn't a significant amount to remember. I didn't have any other visa than my tourist visa, I worked at a resort while I was there. I am planning on moving back to Punta Cana next month, and want to be clear - how long do I have (legally) before I need to file for a more permanent visa? And how much does that cost? Is it cheaper to just pay the fine? I will be going back to the states several times a year, so will that change things?

Thanks guys, and I've said it before - the welcoming and helpful nature of this website is a reflection of the DR itself. I can't imagine not having DR1 and all of you awesome "friends" out there to help the rest of us, and I hope one day I will have the knowledge and insight to help others on this site. Cheers!
Legally, you're supposed to leave after the 15 day tourist visa expires, but they are quite lax about the law, and simply fine you a minor amount when you leave.
If you decide one day that you really want to stay here to live, then you can get your residency.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Another thing to consider, you cannot get a Dominican drivers license without doing your residencia. So, if you drive illegally better hope and pray you dont get into an accident. And of course it does NOT matter if it is your fault or how good a driver you are. If you are not a legal driver your insurance will find every reason not to cover you.