When is Satellite Internet Service Coming Here ?

A

A Gringo

I hear through the grapevine that satellite Service is coming here soon, anyone know when?
I would gladly pay more for better service....
Bye Bye Codetel

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

Re: When is Satellite Internet Service Coming Here

I have heard this "rumor" to......but even I hear since ten years, thats up from the next month we dont have power problems anymore *LOL*........
cu/charlyloco

A

aristoba

well you can go to the sans souci plaza
in Cabarete and see the satelite internet service
in action right now.
I think they will be selling the service within a months.

A

A Gringo

Well that's good news! I can hardley wait...
Beam me up Scotty!

R

Robin Miller

Satellite Internet service should be available in most tropical and temperate zone latitudes by the first quarter of 2001 if you are willing to buy a ~$500 ground station similar to the 18" units that currently bring satellite TV to US households. Several new low-earth satellite constellations are being launched right now.

Hughes is expected to have theirs online first, but several others are in the race. Third-world telephone companies and ISPs are going to have to get their act together damn fast if they don't want to lose all their high-use clients within the next few years. Some of the lamer US ones had better get on the stick, too.

Right now, the biggest thing holding me back from an immediate move to the DR or someplace similar is fear of poor phone and net connections. With good connections I can telecommute and keep my current job. Without solid commo, I'm just another middle-aged American tropical dreamer with a beard, a potbelly, and a limited bank account.

D

David

If you can afford it, ask for "Internet flash" from Codetel. Its based on the ADSL technology and you can get digital dedicated access to the Internet. Speed is up to 512Kbps which is great. Try it... its only RD$1000 a month with no extra cost for additional minutes.

E

Eddy

I've been told it's no longer available. They figured they were loosing too much money. I'm paying about RD$900.00 monthly for useage time. They won't give me a VIP line because they say I'm commercial. I will be the first to loose that %^*#$$%$^CODETEL the day another service is available. But they will make it hard for any company who want to move in. Codetel, as several other major companies in this country do, overcharge their customers for a substandard product and want to keep it that way.