The Kevin William Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
As per the email I received and as reported on these forums.
Scam Warning for B&B Owners :: View topic - Mr William, moonlink211@hotmail.com, +447045716258
Scams - Scams received by UKAPAS members (entry #9)

<TABLE class=mhc cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=fhr><TD class=hn>from <TD class=hp>
smlnopresence.gif
<TD class="hv au">kevin william <MOONLINK2@YAHOO.COM><TD class="hw h" id=mm><TD align=right>hide details <TD align=right>Aug 15 (4 days ago) <TR><TD class=cbln><TD class=hn colSpan=2>to <TD class=hp>
smlnopresence.gif
<TD class="hv hw" colSpan=4>onwab2k@yahoo.com <TD class=cbrn><TR><TD class=cbln><TD class=hn colSpan=2>date <TD class=hp><TD class="hv hw" colSpan=4>Aug 15, 2007 6:43 PM <TD class=cbrn><TR><TD class=cbln><TD class=hn colSpan=2>subject <TD class=hp><TD class="hv hw" colSpan=4>RESERVATION REQUEST <TD class=cbrn><TR><TD class=cbln><TD class=hn colSpan=2>signed-by <TD class=hp><TD class="hv hw" colSpan=4>yahoo.com</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=cbln>Greetings,
I enquire for reservations for 4 couples coming for their honey moon
at your property,I would like you to get back to me
with the following.

1. The availability of the dates
2. The Daily cost for the required dates
3. The total cost for the lenght of their stay.
4. Do you accept credit card payment.
The arrival date for the couples will be 4th Nov and they will
depart on 14th Nov 2007 ,Their stay will last for 10 days.
do get back to me with the requirements as stated above.

Kindest Regards,
Mr William

Tel: +447045716258
Mobile+447045706474

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

After a few to & fro emails, he wrote the following,

<TABLE cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0 nowrap><TBODY><TR><TD>
Hello Marco,
I am glad to tell you that we have concluded payment with the couples.
However we are going to send you the credit card details that will
cover the cost of our accomodation,and the necessary arrangment for the
couples.
Moreover, we have also made arrangements with a Logistic car hiring
firm who will supply the couples with cars they will use during their
stay.
So once you are in receipt of it,confirm the amount of {$ 8,780.00), in
your account then deduct the cost of your services $ 1,580.00 and send
$ 7,000.00 via Bank account Transfer,to the Logistics
travelling/car hiring rental agent whose information will be forwarded to you
once this is confirmed.
So confirm this and provide me with your details as stated below.
(1) YOUR FULL NAME :
(2) ADDRESS:
(3) PHONE NUMBERS: for office records.
so that we can forward the visa card to you.
Also the names of the couples are listed below,
Mr. and mrs Mandy Wendy
Mr. and Mrs Billy Gale
mr. and mrs Allan woods
Mr. and mrs nosac mark
I also hope the stay of the couples will be made comfortable.
i include $200 in the visa card for the bank charges during the transfer.
Regards,
Mr William

I replied to him that he should send the money by Western Union,;););) to which he replied.

Hello Marco,

Hoe are you today? hope fine..

Thank for your confirmation, let me make it more clear now, right now am on a high sea for a research , i cannot transfer money to the Western Union i will email to you my visa card which you are to charges to cover you accomodation and that of the flight fo the Couples

At this juncture i would like you to get back to me with confirmation
of my last mail

I will email you my credit card which will contain the following:

1, 16 digit number
2, expiry Date
3, cvv code ( should be 3 dig)

once gets to you ,you are advised to as follow

1, you are to charges the total sum of $ 8,780.00 from my visacard when gets to you.

2, Keep the sunm of $ 1,580.00 for you accomodation and the couples will take care of the food when they arrive to your hotel ok.

3, Kindly transfer the total sum of $ 7,000.00 to the Agency that is incharge of the flight and car hiring the delegates will use during their stay to your hotel.

Please do get back to me with you confirmation immediately for my visa card for the charges.

Regards
William

To which I once more replied that he could Western Union me the money when he got to shore.;););)

Reactions: Lucille

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
And the fool keeps on trying.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=HT vAlign=top width="100%"><TABLE class=TH><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap></TD><TD>kevin william <MOONLINK2@YAHOO.COM></TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap>Sent : </TD><TD>Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:28 PM</TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap>To : </TD><TD>************************</TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap>Subject : </TD><TD>RE: CONFIRM THIS AND GET MACK TO ME FOR THE VISA CARD</TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px">
spacer.gif
</TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px" width="100%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=HT vAlign=top align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 5px" width="100%"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE id=MsgBody height=209 width="100%" bgColor=#ffffff><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=8 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0 nowrap><TBODY><TR><TD>Hello
I can only pay with the visa card
William

To which I replied, that I don't do credit cards.
I wonder how long it will take for him to give up.

A

apostropheman

country code 44 is the United Kingdom, isn't it?
somehow i was expecting Nigeria :)

who wants to call him first?:cheeky:

A

apostropheman

III ccccan ddddoodddooo thththththaaat:cheeky:

my Uncle Chris stutters and has found that making fun of it helps him not to stutter...weird but true :)

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
He is going to pay for the 4 couples trip with HIS Visa card? Is this what I am reading???

Yeah-- OK. If there is a CC it's stolen.

Why aren't the couples paying for their own trip? What a nice travel agent. jajaja

Wanna buy a bridge?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
He is going to pay for the 4 couples trip with HIS Visa card? Is this what I am reading???

Yeah-- OK. If there is a CC it's stolen.

Why aren't the couples paying for their own trip? What a nice travel agent. jajaja

Wanna buy a bridge?
DominicanBoy's link explains the scam.
Scam Warning for B&B Owners :: View topic - This is how the scam works

The end goal is to get the B&B owner to send money to the scammer. Typically, the scammer will make a booking and overpay for it with either a credit card or forged check. The scammer will request the balance sent somewhere, usually by Western Union. Remember, these scammers are creative and there are many variations on the scam.

The scam works like this:

The scammer will book a room(s) and claim to have no credit card to hold the room or will have a credit card. They will ask to send a bank draft/certified check/money order to pay for the room in advance or pay for it with a credit card. When the check arrives it will be for an amount greater than the value of the stay or they will ask you to charge the credit card for an amount greater than the value of the stay. The scammer will then request the balance sent to a third party (i.e. a car rental agency) or returned to the scammer.

Since the bank draft/certified check/money order is drawn on a foreign bank it may take up to 3 months to learn it is fraudulent. The B&B owner is now short the amount of the check/wire they sent the scammer and probably lost bookings since they held a room for the scammer. If the scammer paid by a credit card it is surely to be disputed by the actual card owner.

The Tells:

* Overseas/International: Typically the guest/agent/scammer will be overseas or out of country (UK, France...). The reason is authorities rarely pursue this kind of international crime.
* Urgent: The scammer will be acting in an urgent manner. And will be making bookings for dates near in the future.
* Long stays or lots of rooms: They will also want long stays and a lot of rooms. The scammer will also be very vague about the actual number of guest.
* No rate resistance: They will show little or no rate resistance.
* Flexible on dates: They will be flexible on dates of arrival/ departure and the number of nights booked.
* No interest in location: They don?t care about your location, they will express little or no interest in area attractions.
* Will not address your B&B by name in the first e-mail: The first e-mail you receive will not address your B&B specifically. It will be a general e-mail and may not even mention your town or state.
* Grammar, Spelling, and choice of words: The scammer's grammar, spelling and use of punctuation will be off. When you see the sample e-mails below you'll notice the spacing is off. "Agency,London" instead of "Agency, London" We copy them verbatim.
* Doctor's acting as travel agents: Often the scammer making the booking will present themselves as a doctor. There are two red flags associated with this. 1) Doctor's generally don't act as travel agents. 2) Doctor's, especially from England, should have a better command of the English language.
* Free e-mail account: The e-mail will come from a free e-mail service like Yahoo! or Hotmail. Legitimate travel agents rarely use free e-mail accounts. Note: One scammer has created a front called Varsatile Vincent Travel Agency and sends e-mails from hotel@varsatilevincent.info or reservations@varsatilevincent.info see Elvis Borrow.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
No no I understand Rocky. I just think it's odd that he is offering to pay for 4 couples trips with HIS credit card. Wouldn't that raise suspicion alone. How many travel agents do that. I wish mine would.

If someone does not realize it -- the credit card is going to be stolen if he provides one. By the time you are notified that it's stolen it's way to late-- not that it's way already because he's somewhere out there.

He could be in Africa. Cell phones travel.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
No no I understand Rocky. I just think it's odd that he is offering to pay for 4 couples trips with HIS credit card. Wouldn't that raise suspicion alone. How many travel agents do that. I wish mine would.

If someone does not realize it -- the credit card is going to be stolen if he provides one. By the time you are notified that it's stolen it's way to late-- not that it's way already because he's somewhere out there.

Scam Warning - Advance Payment Fraud Just googled Varsatile Vincent Travel Agency
And there,s more :bunny:Glad my name is not VINCE LOL

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Yup.
He could be anywhere in the world, in fact, he might be a she... Heck, might even be a transvestite, lol.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
He could be right outside your door!!!

I've heard that they will use a stolen CC. Over pay the person or cancel at the last minute and want a refund. They then want their money sent by Western Union . When the person sends it to them they go and collect it. The person who sends it thinks that they are in the US and they are actually in ,,,,,,,. After the $$ is sent.. you discovered that the CC is stolen. You are out EVERYTHING. They are long gone.

A friend of mine who works at a gym as a personal trainer had this happen to her co-worker.

He lost $1,800 .

Just another twist.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Money Laundering 101

This scenario is a common way too for money laundering.

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
"Yup.
He could be anywhere in the world, in fact, he might be a she... Heck, might even be a transvestite, lol."

How about the same scam from LINDA WILTON of Bluegate Travel Services In Washington, D.C.? We got about the same thing except there was going to be a convention held in Las Galeras and they needed 4 rooms (in LG???LOL!!). They wanted me to send a little over $2,800 overpayment via Western Union to the transportation guy who they didn't trust (I guess there's still no honor among thieves). We recieved the same exact mail that was posted earlier in this thread.

Also, it's interesting that it's suspected that this person is thought to be in Great Britain. Late last year we recieved a reservation request for a group of evangilists also from Great Britain with the same outcome after several emails back and forth: overpay with a credit card and we refund the difference via Western Union. Scams. Scams. Scams. Just how stupid do these people think we are?

Status
Not open for further replies.