Unbelieveable - I don't get it!

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Ok so here is the saga - I fired my last cleaning lady - she just didn't bother to show up!

I asked some people I know to recommend someone. These two very nice sisters (40 ish) came to see me. We agreed on the work, the wage and the days. We exchange phone numbers.

Today they were to start. I said it is a holiday and we could wait but they said they needed the work.

They don't bother to show up and dont' call. When I call them I am told - oh it is too far away, oh it is not enough money. Well you agreed to this last week and now it is not ok.

I am furious and frustrated!!!! I pay a decent wage and treat people fair! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Just keep looking, you will find the right cleaning lady eventually.

Remember that in order for someone to devote their life to cleaning other people's houses they have got to be fundamentally flawed in some way or other, mabe you just need to lower your standards a little.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
What were you planning on paying her?

Also, it is better to find someone close by within walking distance so that you can visit their home if need be.

We pay our housekeeper RD4000 and she works 5 days a week, 8 hours or so a day. She takes off probably a couple of days a month for personal reasons and yes, unfortunately, doesn't bother to call. This could be that she doesn't have minutes in her cell phone. Nonetheless, she does a decent job even if I have to remind her of things at times a lot.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Just keep looking, you will find the right cleaning lady eventually.

Remember that in order for someone to devote their life to cleaning other people's houses they have got to be fundamentally flawed in some way or other, mabe you just need to lower your standards a little.

WHAT A HILARIOUS POST!!!!!!

FUNNY BUT TRUE!!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

dwnddindr

Jun 12, 2007
Or maybe you could just call maid in dr. They have a website too maidindr.com It's worth a try versus having to deal with people that have no interest in you or what you have to offer.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
What were you planning on paying her?

Also, it is better to find someone close by within walking distance so that you can visit their home if need be.

We pay our housekeeper RD4000 and she works 5 days a week, 8 hours or so a day. She takes off probably a couple of days a month for personal reasons and yes, unfortunately, doesn't bother to call. This could be that she doesn't have minutes in her cell phone. Nonetheless, she does a decent job even if I have to remind her of things at times a lot.

Is this salary for 1 week, 2 weeks or the whole month?

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
...Remember that in order for someone to devote their life to cleaning other people's houses they have got to be fundamentally flawed in some way or other
Maybe they were born to wrong parents or in the wrong 'geography', but that's a good thing 'cause others can sneer at them and feel superior. :ermm:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Or maybe you could just call maid in dr. They have a website too maidindr.com It's worth a try versus having to deal with people that have no interest in you or what you have to offer.

Nice self promotion, does maid in DR work like Jerry Seinfeld's cleaning girl?

I like your company slogan:"You can expect a consistent, thorough cleaning and the highest level of personal service with every visit."
Where are the pics of the staff?
tambo'

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
That's ~USD$0.76 (RD$4K/20/8/33) an hour ... WOW!!!! Unbelievable - I don't get it!

woooo is that what its comes to?? no wonder they don't bother to call.

I remember a few years ago when some girls in the campo worked as maids and they really exploited them, they had like a weekend off every two weeks or once a month for peanuts. :ermm:

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
We pay our maid RD$5000 per month for 6 hrs Mon-Sat. plus RD$1000 transportation.
She eats lunch with us and of course gets anything we consider 'Surplus' like clothes, bedding, furniture etc. I also bring clothes for her grandchildren every year.
These are normal wages for a maid in our area (JD) although they are high compared to the north coast and interior. A maid in Constanza gets about RD$2500 per month!

dwnddindr

Jun 12, 2007
Quote "Nice self promotion, does maid in DR work like Jerry Seinfeld's cleaning girl?

I like your company slogan:"You can expect a consistent, thorough cleaning and the highest level of personal service with every visit."
tambo'"

Actually Tamborista I don't own that company. I had previously seen an ad that they had posted and so I was just forwarding the information on trying to help another DR1er in need. I am in no way connected or related to the company. I also just figured it's worth a try versus being constantly disappointed like the original poster was....sorry for trying to help, I'll just shut up next time.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
woooo is that what its comes to?? no wonder they don't bother to call.

I remember a few years ago when some girls in the campo worked as maids and they really exploited them, they had like a weekend off every two weeks or once a month for peanuts. :ermm:

Our maid works M-F and we pay her the normal wage for the area. I have talked about paying her more but my wife's family tells me that it is too much already. Also, we pay her more than her last employer and my wife says that the maid says they treated her like schit there.

We treat her well and she eats at the house of course and we loan her money at times. If she thought it was that bad she would go somewhere else for sure.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Porque enojarte?......

Ok so here is the saga - I fired my last cleaning lady - she just didn't bother to show up!

I asked some people I know to recommend someone. These two very nice sisters (40 ish) came to see me. We agreed on the work, the wage and the days. We exchange phone numbers.

Today they were to start. I said it is a holiday and we could wait but they said they needed the work.

They don't bother to show up and dont' call. When I call them I am told - oh it is too far away, oh it is not enough money. Well you agreed to this last week and now it is not ok.

I am furious and frustrated!!!! I pay a decent wage and treat people fair! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Darling, don't get mad.....

I am sure there are hundreds willing to do the job.

Btw: if you really want to make sure the maid will do a good job, BEFORE hiring her, pay a surprise visit to her home look around to see how well she keeps her own home.

Worked for me!.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Thanks Miguel good advice....

My frustration is that many people here claim to need work! These two were wanting to work on the holiday Monday - they needed the money.... then just didn't bother to show or to call.

For the record I was paying 1,500 twice a month - 3000 a month for 2 days a week work!!!! And it isn't necessarily all day either. It should only take one person 3 to 4 hours a day, 2 days a week for this. My pay is more then fair for the work involved.

Previous cleaning person always needed money, but then would just not show up 2 times in a row........... ahhhhhhhhh. Then she would try to borrow money from me as she would be broke.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Most of the time if your maid is not showing up she is cleaning someone else's house.

You all ask "how can a person live on that..." the answer is they are cleaning a lot of houses.

And many times when they can't show up or call its because their "real" boss wouldn't give them the day off.

As soon as I realised this I gave my maid a raise (to make sure I was the "real" boss, not the "other" boss) started making my maid stay everyday till 5 whether there was work left to do or not. I had to cycle through 3 diferent maids to find one that got the picture, but in the end it worked.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Thanks Miguel good advice....

My frustration is that many people here claim to need work! These two were wanting to work on the holiday Monday - they needed the money.... then just didn't bother to show or to call.

For the record I was paying 1,500 twice a month - 3000 a month for 2 days a week work!!!! And it isn't necessarily all day either. It should only take one person 3 to 4 hours a day, 2 days a week for this. My pay is more then fair for the work involved.

Previous cleaning person always needed money, but then would just not show up 2 times in a row........... ahhhhhhhhh. Then she would try to borrow money from me as she would be broke.

I feel for you and realise how very lucky I am with our "house worker" Margo. She works 4 days a week from 9 'til about 3 - used to start at 8 but 9 suits us better!! We pay her RD$4000 a month but she and her other half have a small casita here on our land with electricity (when power is on) and water. Her partner works for us too looking after the farm and the animals and they are not only our workers but also our friends (though of course we carefully manage the boss/ employee relationship). Margo is a 'treasure' and notices what needs cleaning even more than I do apart from the normal everyday things - if I could send you a "Margo" planner I would... she is a 'star'.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Quote "Nice self promotion, does maid in DR work like Jerry Seinfeld's cleaning girl?

tambo'"

Actually Tamborista I don't own that company. I had previously seen an ad that they had posted and so I was just forwarding the information on trying to help another DR1er in need. I am in no way connected or related to the company. I also just figured it's worth a try versus being constantly disappointed like the original poster was....sorry for trying to help, I'll just shut up next time.

Hey your input is ok in my book.