Retiring to Sosua

Soosahn

Aug 18, 2007
I am a 50 something woman who has accepted a position teaching at a private school in Sosua starting either mid-term this year or in August 2008. I understand that this is a gigantic step in my life and that the key to my happiness in Sosua is finding a group of good friends and being safe, comfortable and convenient (as I will not be buying a car, but possibly a scooter) where I live. I think I would like to live in El Batey, close enough to easily and safely walk to town and the beach - using the scooter to go back and forth to school. I am looking to buy a home as the last time I was there I looked at rentals and they seemed worn and expensive. Real Estate there seems like a good investment. I will need a lot of insight and advice over the next months and I am hoping this will be a good place to get it. I have an agent, but I am a labor intensive client as I must almost all my decision making on-line so my agent must do all the "checking-out" properties for me and then has to answer all the questions that arise. At some point, I expect she will tire of it.
I am open to any advice anyone has to offer. Let me hear from you.
Soosahn

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think that most folks would agree that it would be good for you to rent first, and buy later.
After you've been here for 6 months or so, you'll have a much better idea of what you want to buy, how much it is truly worth, who to deal with, etc.
Whatever you spend renting at first will come back to you when you do purchase, just from being that much wiser and informed.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I am a 50 something woman who has accepted a position teaching at a private school in Sosua starting either mid-term this year or in August 2008. I understand that this is a gigantic step in my life and that the key to my happiness in Sosua is finding a group of good friends and being safe, comfortable and convenient (as I will not be buying a car, but possibly a scooter) where I live. I think I would like to live in El Batey, close enough to easily and safely walk to town and the beach - using the scooter to go back and forth to school. I am looking to buy a home as the last time I was there I looked at rentals and they seemed worn and expensive. Real Estate there seems like a good investment. I will need a lot of insight and advice over the next months and I am hoping this will be a good place to get it. I have an agent, but I am a labor intensive client as I must almost all my decision making on-line so my agent must do all the "checking-out" properties for me and then has to answer all the questions that arise. At some point, I expect she will tire of it.
I am open to any advice anyone has to offer. Let me hear from you.
Soosahn

Many congratulations on taking the gigantic step in making the decision to relocate - if you plan and prepare correctly am sure you will never regret it.... I feel your real show of bravery is the desire to ride a scooter here!!! We do have some friends with a home for sale in the El Batey area and if you would like details please PM me for details. Out of interest may I ask where you are relocating from? I am guessing US or Canada by your spelling of the word "labor"....

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Didn't know that - thanks for pointing it out and I will remember in future.
You know how it goes, don't you?
The Brits invented it.
The Canadians perfected it?
The Americans trashed it.

Boy oh boy.
Am I ever going to catch it from the Yankee Doodles now.;)
What can I say?

When "y'all" decided to remove all those U's & GH's from English words (rumour, mould, night, highway, etc) and still call it English, well, you set yourselves up for criticism.
If you want to call it speaking "American", maybe we can grant you a special Creole status.

RickC

Sep 29, 2006
You know how it goes, don't you?
The Brits invented it.

Boy oh boy.
Am I ever going to catch it from the Yankee Doodles now.;)
What can I say?

When "y'all" decided to remove all those U's & GH's from English words (rumour, mould, night, highway, etc) and still call it English, well, you set yourselves up for criticism.
If you want to call it speaking "American", maybe we can grant you a special Creole status.

Who put the "oot" in "aboot" "eh"?
You knew that was coming right bro'??? ;-)

olddog

Jul 14, 2006
My dear Sooahn...

I did the same as you are going to do...only in Costa Rica. BTW, gal in her 50's...like fine wine. I'm a retired teachin' guy retired living in South Florida....

May I suggest...don't do anything for a month...stay at Rocky's, Casa Valeria, or Ketti's New Garden..if only for a month.

THEN... after you unpack your bags and have a cold one...ya shake your booty down the street to Rocky's. The folks there are nothing short of delightful with the incredible Marc owning/running the place.

You will get more insight than you can believe in about three delightful meals. Go in and sit by yourself?? Naw...you'll get invited by the regulars to join them.
Ribs to die for and breakfasts out of this world...

Best to you and happy landings always...

Ol' Phil

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
The Brits invented it.

hardy har har !!! didn't erectile dysfunction originate in Canada ?? :laugh:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The Brits invented it.

hardy har har !!! didn't erectile dysfunction originate in Canada ?? :laugh:
Haven't you watched the Cyalis commercials?
The guy calls it ED.
Two long words in a row and they couldn't find an actor who could pronounce them both.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
ok Rocky....you win !! :laugh:

There is no win or lose here, just a lot of fun.
Of course, I'm going to get my fingers rapped for hijacking this thread, so it may be time to get back on track.

To the OP.
There are a lot of wonderful people/expats here in Sosua who will be glad to assist you with all sorts of info and advice once you get here, and that's the long & short of it.
If you come on down and make your decisions and commitments from here, you'll probably make less mistakes, and we do all make mistakes.