I need some advice please?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
At the risk of this not being really DR related I am going to post it anyway but understand if it gets deleted.

We have now lived permanently in the DR since June of last year but I need to go back to UK in a month or so to visit my new grandchild. I have the opportunity of going via New York (a city I have always wanted to visit) and spend a couple of days with friends who are prepared to show me some of the sights. However, they cannot offer me accommodation and, although I have searched, everything I find is very, very expensive. Does anyone know of somewhere basic and clean that I could stay for a couple of nights? Will only be staying in UK for 3 - 4 weeks at the most then will be rushing back home here in the DR!!!

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
WB, surely your friends have a copy of yellow pages in New York if they live there, why dont you ask them, or Hotels.com etc etc just put New York Hotels in your search engine, Ive found loads when I had to stay there. Good luck and congratulations, Im glad the new baby finally arrived ok Nanna.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
whirleybird, New York is an expensive city .. even more expensive if you pick up the online hotels or the airport hotels.

If you are willing to say which area your friends are in, people would sure tell you of a hotel close by if your friends will drive you around or go with you on the subway or busses. I'll look up a very reasonable place we stayed at a few weeks ago and send you the info. It was not exactly in a 'good part of town' and for taxi fares, we could have stayed in central Manhattan. So, either you go outside of town and take the hit on the cabs and transportation, or you take the hit on the hotel and walk. Or you take the subway for cheap and get horribly lost. (At least I get horribly lost).

So, tell us if your friends are going to be travelling around with you. If so, stay near where they are. For me, next time I take the hit on the hotel side, and walk or short cab rides.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
whirleybird, New York is an expensive city .. even more expensive if you pick up the online hotels or the airport hotels.

If you are willing to say which area your friends are in, people would sure tell you of a hotel close by if your friends will drive you around or go with you on the subway or busses. I'll look up a very reasonable place we stayed at a few weeks ago and send you the info. It was not exactly in a 'good part of town' and for taxi fares, we could have stayed in central Manhattan. So, either you go outside of town and take the hit on the cabs and transportation, or you take the hit on the hotel and walk. Or you take the subway for cheap and get horribly lost. (At least I get horribly lost).

So, tell us if your friends are going to be travelling around with you. If so, stay near where they are. For me, next time I take the hit on the hotel side, and walk or short cab rides.

They live in central Manhattan and suggested 2 hotels in Seaport but they are well out of my price range... only want to be there for 2 days to see some sights and they will supply transport and act as guides until I get my connecting flight to go back to UK for first visit after 15/ 16 months.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
If you're not married to staying in NYC, you can take the Metro North up to CT ($28 round trip on the weekends; $36 on the weekdays) and crash in my apartment for free. I have a pullout couch in the living room and you're welcome to eat whatever is in my apartment. I eat fairly healthy, so it may not be what you want.

What a lovely invitation and thank you but I am just looking for overnight accommodation as my friends who are going to show me the sights of NY do not have the facilities for me to stay with them. Its just a couple of days in between leaving DR and going back to UK for short holiday to see my family and friends then I will be rushing back to my home in DR.

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
I have stayed at this b&b in harlem. It is REALLY well priced.

Efuru Guest House

It's in at great neighbourhood, centrally located and is owned by really nice people.

Good luck

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
$150 per night is about the minimum. If you can afford that, try the Hotel Edison. It's in the Times Square area and is safe, clean and very popular. Another nice hotel is the Lucerne on west 72st. Great location and extremely nice for under $200. - D

Jan 5, 2006
There are lots of places in NJ, that are a short train, bus, or ferry ride away, and are in the $75-$90 per night range.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I hope you have a residencia, if not you may find you cannot travel back to DR via USA. many people have found that when they come to come back here they cannot come on any US airline unless they have return ticket to UK, or a Dominican residencia. Check it out.

Matilda

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I hope you have a residencia, if not you may find you cannot travel back to DR via USA. many people have found that when they come to come back here they cannot come on any US airline unless they have return ticket to UK, or a Dominican residencia. Check it out.

Matilda

Yes, we do have our first year residencia now and I was not planning to come back to DR via USA as I know that when I return I will want to come back by the fastest route possible. Although my plan is to visit New York on the way back to England, my return to DR will be direct - do you think I may have any problems with that? Thank you for your interest.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
No I think it is just coming back here. From what I can tell the firends of mine that have had problems is returning to here from Uk via US. The US airlines insisted that they had return ticket to the country of their passport and if they flew from Uk to DR they had to have return ticket to UK or could not fly. Cost them all lots of money.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
No I think it is just coming back here. From what I can tell the firends of mine that have had problems is returning to here from Uk via US. The US airlines insisted that they had return ticket to the country of their passport and if they flew from Uk to DR they had to have return ticket to UK or could not fly. Cost them all lots of money.
I agree.
The US carriers are concerned with a passenger who might get denied entry into another country, and thus being responsible for bringing them back to the US.
Having a ticket to your home country should eliminate any problems of that nature.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
You can stay at the Courtyard by Marriott at Jersey Gardens

indoor pool and fitness center
complimentary shuttle to the airport and mall
restaurant, lounge, and 24-hour market located on site
special shopping tour rates for 10 or more rooms -
call 908-436-9800

They also offer free breakfast. You can catch the bus right into the city from there or the train. Is about 30 mins. and you cant beat the shopping at Jersey Gardens!!