Why do people treat animals so badly here?

Guachupita

Dec 28, 2006
Yes I know...I know....this is a developing country, lots of poor people, homeless children, all kinds of social problems. You can?t equate hungry, unemployed, undereducated people with street dogs (I wont even get started on the unfortunate ones who are someone?s pet but still go hungry, fleabitten, abused and mangy).

I know that the guy who sells platanos from a horse drawn carreta has to feed his kids, and the poor skinny sun-beaten animal is to him just that...an animal.

A local told me that I won?t last long here with my "crazy foreign" ideas of feeling sorry for an animal...and that only foreigners can give themselves the luxury of treating animals like....oh I don?t know....living things possibly????

Oh you silly thing, said a neighbor lady to me, when I ran to the vet?s office after my 10 lb. silky terrier was mauled by the chow across the street (which by the way, that the hell is it with the chow-love here? HELLO! It?s a hot country!!). She laughed her head off when I told her the visit cost 500 pesos plus taxi each way. I told her I adopted this dog from a shelter in NJ and spent hundreds just to bring her with me and wasnt about to let her die from a crazy hot mangy dominican chow. She couldnt wrap her mind around the whole shelter concept and just kept laughing and shaking her head the way you do to a child when they say something cute. The chow?s owners were also completely surprised and didnt even realize that they were in any way responsible. The husband told me that I should keep my little American dog home because she doesnt know how to deal with Dominican dogs.

God in his mercy gave me patience not to tear him up.

I swear since I moved here in April I haven?t seen a cat walking around anywhere....mentioned this to someone and they nonchalantly said that some people either eat them, or use them for 'training' dogs....and not in the sit-stay sense.

My family is from the DR....I?m well accustomed to all the charming and sometimes hair-raising, what the F! ups and downs of Dominican culture. But the animal situation here is making me sick.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yes I know...I know....this is a developing country, lots of poor people, homeless children, all kinds of social problems. You can?t equate hungry, unemployed, undereducated people with street dogs (I wont even get started on the unfortunate ones who are someone?s pet but still go hungry, fleabitten, abused and mangy).

I know that the guy who sells platanos from a horse drawn carreta has to feed his kids, and the poor skinny sun-beaten animal is to him just that...an animal.

A local told me that I won?t last long here with my "crazy foreign" ideas of feeling sorry for an animal...and that only foreigners can give themselves the luxury of treating animals like....oh I don?t know....living things possibly????

Oh you silly thing, said a neighbor lady to me, when I ran to the vet?s office after my 10 lb. silky terrier was mauled by the chow across the street (which by the way, that the hell is it with the chow-love here? HELLO! It?s a hot country!!). She laughed her head off when I told her the visit cost 500 pesos plus taxi each way. I told her I adopted this dog from a shelter in NJ and spent hundreds just to bring her with me and wasnt about to let her die from a crazy hot mangy dominican chow. She couldnt wrap her mind around the whole shelter concept and just kept laughing and shaking her head the way you do to a child when they say something cute. The chow?s owners were also completely surprised and didnt even realize that they were in any way responsible. The husband told me that I should keep my little American dog home because she doesnt know how to deal with Dominican dogs.

I swear since I moved here in April I haven?t seen a cat walking around anywhere....mentioned this to someone and they nonchalantly said that some people either eat them, or use them for 'training' dogs....and not in the sit-stay sense.

My family is from the DR....I?m well accustomed to all the charming and sometimes hair-raising, what the F! ups and downs of Dominican culture. But the animal situation here is making me sick.

Those who keep animals as pets mostly do so because they (think they) can afford it... there has to be a surplus in either money or food or both. Most families in countries like this one don't have that surplus for an animal they won't eventually eat, neither can at least haul something or somebody or guard any valuables (if any) in the house.
It's a luxury and not everybody here can or choses to afford exactly that luxury (and yes, cell phones and beer would likely come fist here).

Me? I love some animals, like dawgs, horses and raccoons... some I just don't car too much about. But before I'd start pumping money into a street animal (for which yes, I can feel sorry), I might rather be inclined to look at what I could do with the same money for a kid or two.

Many cultures eat cats or dogs... some even both. Some eat horses others never (knowingly) would. And there are even those who won't eat cows, others just keep away from pork... imagine!

Actually, in most cases it is not that bad around here... especially with the street dogs. They live among the people here and I seldom witnessed brutality against them as long the showed respect and did not behave threateningly (most never do). What's more, I am even seeing some who made themselves a little existence and play watchie for a particular group of homes. They don't belong to anybody and don't get petted much but have an accepted and even somehow silently appreciated existence within a small society and are being feed (OK, on an irregular basis).

In some other countries I have been to, people old and young make it a particular point that chasing, beating and scaring animals like these, is fun. As I said, I don't seem to see this often here.

... J-D.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
You make a few good points, that many Domincans seem to treat animals with spite. On the other hand, it may be that we westerners want to "transpose" human like qualities on animals, when in fact they have very few. The don't have souls and they aren't happy nor sad as humans can be.

I have had a few pets that I have loved and therefore am not proposing the same type of disrespectful actions, after all they are God's creatures too. Even in the Bible they talk about how to treat animals including how to slaughter them.

This attitude towards animals here in the DR is really "old school" and has been present for millenia and probably won't change here until the standard of living changes. My own personal opinion on the matter is that we need to respect animals and treat them accordingly as a creature of the Creator with value, albeit not as much as a human being.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
This attitude towards animals here in the DR is really "old school" and has been present for millenia and probably won't change here until the standard of living changes.

I've noticed a change (for the better in my opinion) in a short period of time like 15 years. When we first arrived I did notice more gratuitous violence to street dogs (machete wounds on heads etc), but there is much less now. And some of my Dominican neighbours, Funnyvale, actually adopt street dogs rather than import a pedigree dog.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Cats

I have often wondered about the whole, lack of cats thing. Why have I never seen a cat in the DR? Seems strange.
Steve:paranoid:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
hey in my barrio there are lots of cats......probably because my cat is contributing to the population....anyone want a kitten.....????

Sharkyitis

Aug 2, 2007
You make a few good points, that many Domincans seem to treat animals with spite. On the other hand, it may be that we westerners want to "transpose" human like qualities on animals, when in fact they have very few. The don't have souls and they aren't happy nor sad as humans can be.

I have had a few pets that I have loved and therefore am not proposing the same type of disrespectful actions, after all they are God's creatures too. Even in the Bible they talk about how to treat animals including how to slaughter them.

This attitude towards animals here in the DR is really "old school" and has been present for millenia and probably won't change here until the standard of living changes. My own personal opinion on the matter is that we need to respect animals and treat them accordingly as a creature of the Creator with value, albeit not as much as a human being.[/QUOTE]

I'd like to share my belief on this as well:
There are four quadrants to this one aspect of creation - "human kingdom"
"animal kingdom"
"plant kingdom"
"mineral kingdom"
Each is to be equally respected, as each has it's gifts to contribute to Life on this earth. The only one who works to destroy all the others is the human kingdom. For some reason, they think they are superior in some way to the others.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'd like to share my belief on this as well:
There are four quadrants to this one aspect of creation - "human kingdom"
"animal kingdom"
"plant kingdom"
"mineral kingdom"
Each is to be equally respected, as each has it's gifts to contribute to Life on this earth. The only one who works to destroy all the others is the human kingdom. For some reason, they think they are superior in some way to the others.

No offense but I'd take the following's advice on the matter with more weight than any man:

Then God said: "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. Let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, the birds of the air, and the cattle, and over all the wild animals and all the creatures that crawl on the ground."

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Then God said: "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness. Let them have dominion ... "

And, in turn, man said ... "Each is to be equally respected, as each has it's gifts to contribute to Life on this earth." :classic:

Now, let's continue here on earth with treatment of animals in that little speck of an island called the DR.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
"The more people I meet, the more I love my dogs"... I respect and care about all animals, reptiles and insects. No, the latter two are not humans, but humans are the highest form of animal in the animal kingdom (I don't recognize the Human Kingdom). Dominican in general (I know I should put all Dominicans in the same boat) don't and can't understand our love for animals. Don't even attempt to explain it to them, as they will think you are nuts! Most Dominican pet owners have pets (dogs) as a status symbol, because they can!!

Sharkyitis

Aug 2, 2007
On another thread they are talking about us women and our pet dogs, and some people on that thread are having trouble understanding why we love them so much.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
On another thread they are talking about us women and our pet dogs, and some people on that thread are having trouble understanding why we love them so much.

We have a pet here in the DR that two of my daughters and my wife care for very much and also, my Mom has a dog that she loves as much as me - so I understand.

I only think a little perspective is needed - in a poor country pets are a luxury so it is understandible few here will be focused on the problems of theire pets when either they or their family may be in need. One can't also discount the dynamic that Domincians are forever sharing food with their less fortunate family or neighbors, so when push comes to shove animals will always be at the back of the line. What good Dominican would be caught giving a plate of good food to the family dog when a neighbor is in want?

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
in this country there are millions of a certain type of intelligent animal. Regularly abused and killed, often with no good reason. when taken care of properly they are gentle and affectionate pets. This animal is the rat. Why does noone here cry over the rat?

A stray dog here is little more than rat. They spread disease, eat garbage, bark all night, and reproduce uncontrolablely. The best solution is extermination.

Dominicans get dogs for pets for the same reason people everywhere do. company, protection, alarm, etc. I see many dominicans with chiwawahs and similar that they are very affectionate towards. Unfortunately many people get a 130 lb rottie they just cant afford to feed and it starves.

Cats are commonly used for pest control. I have three with more on the way. (anybody want some). Cats are eaten in this country, but not all people will eat them. If anyone has one cooking, call me up id love to try it. Just like rabbit from what i hear.

the lower the class/income level the more people abuse animals and everything else too. that is true of the whole world not just here.

Again, i second what others have said. in a poor country taking care of animals is secondary to taking care of poor relatives, neighbors, and employees.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
There is one fundamental difference between attitudes to animals - we have them as 'pets' and with that philosphy they become not just animals which we keep but an integral part of our family. When they go, we grieve, perhaps not as intensely, but as we would if we lost a family member.

We arrived in the DR with our 5 dogs and 2 cats from the UK last June. They are happy and settled here with huge gardens, many acres and a river to play in. They now have extra playmates in the form of 3 young Dominican dogs, 2 of whom were found wandering on the tracks. Our rescue horse which we acquired last November, horrendously thin, covered in ticks and parasites with deeply embedded maggots over the severe saddle sores on her back and no mane and tail as it had been cut off is now well and healthy and gave birth to a beautiful colt foal on April Fool's Day. We can, as individuals, only do so much - we cannot change attitudes overnight which have existed for centuries....

I do know Dominicans who love and care for their dogs, cats, rabbits and other livestock but, in the main, they do just have a different attitude.

Particuarly with respect to dogs, many of the poorer areas are overrun by stray dogs - why? because nature dictates that they breed indiscriminately and puppies soon become adults and reproduce. Those poorer families either do not have the knowledge or the money to have their animals neutered. Perhaps we can help in just some small way by gradually educating owners who we know to try to get their bitches spayed and their dogs castrated. The spay/ neuter programme of Asociaci?n de Amigos por los Animales de Sos?a is helping in this cause and they are always seeking additional volunteers to help in any way with the programme. If you are on the North coast and want to give a little time and effort, they can be contacted via Judy's Pet Lodge, telephone 1-809-571-1167.

As I said before, as individuals we can only do a little to help the situation but as we all know... "every little helps".

Sep 19, 2005
Here we go again....for the most part people have to learn to try and fit in... and if something is so bad, they really should just leave, instead of trying to rub up against the norm and make sparks fly. Sure there have been the renegades who have busted their hump and make some headway.....but they caused a lot of grief along the way. Tell me would you go to India and DEMAND that you be served steak!!! sure you could do it...but it would be against the grain....so whay do that.????

I guess some people get on a mission...

You just have to learn to fit in and have a smoother life...

the DR didnt invent all these "BAD" habits in the last year!!!!!!!!!!! it is society! THEIR society the dominican culture. there is good and bad..

people cant come here rave about all the good and then try to "fix" all the bad....

that said, i know guys why go out and kill stray dogs.... know a buddy who will drive over one on purpose if it in the road. Go ahead and gasp...wont change a thing......

where is that line .....the line between what is ok to kill and what isnt....is it YOUR description or someone elses???

ants....ok or not to kill?...mice???ok or not??.....rats, birds eating the crops, and ....yes stray dogs.....dogs that have no owners and eat what ever they can and can become aggressive, just to survive... and then not far behind the dogs that have owners who let them wander, then behind that the dogs that are kept on their own property but maul little dogs that wander off their owners property...OOOOPPs we found the OP!!!!!!

keep your dog under control......because maybe the neighbor has trained his dog to keep other dogs away....maybe the neighbor likes that benefit from HIS dog.....

bottom line....learn to deal with dominican life or leave... dont make it someplace else.....

bob

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
It isn't all about "poverty abhors pets" and therefore Doms don't know how to care for animals. It's also very much about stupidity.

For example: See the jagua-man who depends on his horse to carry him and his jagua. The horse has his backbone exposed through the hole in hide and muscle because the jagua-man won't put a load buffer on him.

For example: See the burros tied up in the sun with a short scope and the man who wants to deliver his milk can with that burro finds him dead of dehydration (yes, true).

For example: see the storekeeper who refuses to feed his cats because he wants them hungry to eat the rats, even though he has no rats because it's the PRESENCE of cats that keeps rats away. His cats always run away where they'll be fed and kept happy so they can have a PRESENCE and chase rats for fun not food, which is what cats do.

And finally, yes animals are JUST animals, but so are we, even those of us with souls, though there may not be many.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Here we go again....for the most part people have to learn to try and fit in... and if something is so bad, they really should just leave, instead of trying to rub up against the norm and make sparks fly. Sure there have been the renegades who have busted their hump and make some headway.....but they caused a lot of grief along the way. Tell me would you go to India and DEMAND that you be served steak!!! sure you could do it...but it would be against the grain....so whay do that.????

I guess some people get on a mission...

You just have to learn to fit in and have a smoother life...

the DR didnt invent all these "BAD" habits in the last year!!!!!!!!!!! it is society! THEIR society the dominican culture. there is good and bad..

people cant come here rave about all the good and then try to "fix" all the bad....

that said, i know guys why go out and kill stray dogs.... know a buddy who will drive over one on purpose if it in the road. Go ahead and gasp...wont change a thing......

where is that line .....the line between what is ok to kill and what isnt....is it YOUR description or someone elses???

ants....ok or not to kill?...mice???ok or not??.....rats, birds eating the crops, and ....yes stray dogs.....dogs that have no owners and eat what ever they can and can become aggressive, just to survive... and then not far behind the dogs that have owners who let them wander, then behind that the dogs that are kept on their own property but maul little dogs that wander off their owners property...OOOOPPs we found the OP!!!!!!

keep your dog under control......because maybe the neighbor has trained his dog to keep other dogs away....maybe the neighbor likes that benefit from HIS dog.....

bottom line....learn to deal with dominican life or leave... dont make it someplace else.....

bob

If you were replying just to my post, Bob, which I assume you were as you did not quote any prior to reply you are wrong. Nothing is further from my mind than trying to change attitudes in this beautiful country but I still think that our Western (dare I say it) attitudes can influence the way things are done without encroaching on the fundamental beliefs of the lovely people who own this island, i.e. the Dominicans