Re: there are a couple of reasons, here's a good o

R

Randy

Remember folks, this is a foreign country with a language barrier. The AI is a great way to get your feet wet in a different land. Wade, you make a good point about the $7 rum and cokes tourists have to fork over in NI'S in the US and the Carribbean. If it's your first trip down, definatly go AI. Take a few taxi rides though and "check out" the surrounding area. Restaurants and local bar prices are VERY reasonable. If you like, next time you can be a little more adventurous for about the same dollar amount or less.If it's comfort you want, stay at a resort.

S

Susanne

There seems to be a misunderstanding that the choice is either between huge, comfortable but somewhat anonymous AI's and rough little rustic hotels.

It isn't.

Hotels come in all categories in the Dominican Republic. Not all of the comfortable hotels are AI's and not all of the AI's are comfortable! (If you are in doubt of that, then check out Debbies site on hotels and general info on the Dominican Republic on <A HREF="http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com">www.debbiesdominicantravel.com</A>)

Some of the most luxurious hotels in the DR are not all inclusive. And you can find a whole range of very reasonably priced pensions and smaller where you will find all of the comforts of a big AI - apart from the animation team by the pool, which to me is a blessing to be rid off.

And you will find lousy little hotels and pensions that are not at all AI, nor comfortable.

The bottom line is: A large amount of the people that go all inclusive stay at the resorts. Whether this is because of fear or to save money or simply because it is too bothersome to leave the resort I don't know. Different people, different reasons I guess. But this is a fact. And it is a pity, especially if you come from Europe and have travelled all the way across the Atlantic. So if you go all inclusive, include in your budget some nights out to dine and dance and some trips to other parts of the country. Don't always use taxis. Use the buses. They are cheap, easy to use and fun too.

Regards,
Susanne

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

Yupp, Susanna, you hit the point!! *DC*