Changing land title after divorce ???

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
Maybe I am not looking in the right place during my seaches so if this problem has already been address please let me know where.

A US couple who had a land title in both of their names have gotten divorced. The wife has legally stated in the divorce papers that the husband gets to have the Dominican land in question.

The question here is: Just what paperwork does the ex-husband need to bring with him for a lawyer here to change the title over to be in just his name ? Anything else besides the divorce papers themselves that is....

I quess another part of the question could also be does he need to get the ex-wife to sign any other papers. ie. Either papers generated there or here in reference to the title change.

any insight will be appreciated...

kF

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
kfrancis: While I think that the divorce papers should be translated, especially the part where she cedes the property to hubby, as one part of the deal, I also think that a sworn statement or even a bill of sale for 100 pesos might do the trick with less hassle.Let's wait for our legal expert to opine on this one...

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
kfrancis: While I think that the divorce papers should be translated, especially the part where she cedes the property to hubby, as one part of the deal, I also think that a sworn statement or even a bill of sale for 100 pesos might do the trick with less hassle.Let's wait for our legal expert to opine on this one...

HB

But, if he buys the land for the 100 Pesos, and they are still married... wouldn't it again be theirs unless they are married under regimen de separacion de bienes (?).
When I divorced, we first changed our status from regimen comunitario to regimen de separacion de bienes. At the same time we drafted a private contract listing who would get what... ending with the lovely phrase ... sin nada mas que pedirse. Then, we sold to each other at a buck a pop all titled possessions and walked away. This was in Spain, so while the language is similar, the laws will differ.

... J-D.

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
The settlement agreement, duly authenticated at the nearest Dominican Consulate and translated into Spanish, must be filed at the Land Court of the jurisdiction where the property is located. The filing must be accompanied with the Certificate of Title to the property. A lawyer is required to file the petition.