Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Everything about parasites!

For the experienced expats....I know to buy bottle water for drinking, cleaning vegetables, brushing teeth etc., keeping mouth closed while taking a shower and boil water for cooking. However, on a daily basis, do you find that you cannot eat certain foods because of the parasites, if so, which foods?
    Do we Americans and Europeans ever become immune to the parasites? If so, how long would you say it takes (assuming each person's situation is different).
    Lastly could you offer any words of widsom on the subject of parasites....maybe vitamins or herbs taken to combat parasites??

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default avoiding microbes & viruses

Fresh lettuce, cabbage and tomatoes may have the dirt in which they grew still clinging to them. Eggs can have residue of that end of the chicken from which they exit. Rural communities in the Caribbean may have no major sanitary infrastructure, and any dirt can have lots of microbes or viruses. Anything you can not peel must get washed thoroughly in bleached or limed water, or with white vinegar.

Wash your hands like your mother told you to and your Psychology 101 instructor made you ashamed to. After shaking hands with someone or handling money, keep your hands
    away from all bodily orifices until you can clean them.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EnclineDesigns View Post
    For the experienced expats....I know to buy bottle water for drinking, cleaning vegetables,
    Agreed.

brushing teeth etc., keeping mouth closed while taking a shower
    That's tough to do when you live here all year round.
    I think most of us use tap water and are very careful not to swallow.

and boil water for cooking.
    That may be adequate for health reasons, but it can affect the flavour in a negative way.
    We always use the bottled water for boiling anything, making tea, coffee, cooking veggies, etc.

However, on a daily basis, do you find that you cannot eat certain foods because of the parasites, if so, which foods?
    I avoid prepared food from street vendors.

Do we Americans and Europeans ever become immune to the parasites?
    Never.

Lastly could you offer any words of widsom on the subject of parasites...
    Minimize the risks. Consider suggestions below. Get tested once a year and take the appropriate medicine for anything they find.
    Parasites, amoebas and such seem as unavoidable as germs in your mouth.
    One has to make efforts to minimize them and keep them under control.

maybe vitamins or herbs taken to combat parasites??
    Apple cider vinegar and/or lime juice, both can change your PH balance to make it unfriendly for parasites, while still being ok for you.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply! Great advice. I hope to hear from others as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you are a glutton that must eat at every street corner; a slovenly person that does not take baths or wash your hands (Loved the above comments on that!); an inbred hick that just HAS to walk around barefoot--you should not have too many problems. Really.

I mean I have lived here for like centuries and while I have to admit to at least one case in parasites--quickly and effectively removed with local pharmaceutical decades ago--and at least one or two cases of food poisoning...none of it was fatal...

What I mean to say is that reasonable precautions: wash your hands, peel it or cook it well...will serve you well. If you live here, you learn just how to do this on a regular basis. If you are a visitor, just be smart. The hotels really do a good job regarding what they feed you, so you should be fine there. As for swallowing water during your shower? Not a major threat. Brush your teeth with bottled water. Do not walk barefoot...most Dominicans do not so why should you???

And do not worry so much....

HB

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    Unless you are a glutton that must eat at every street corner; a slovenly person that does not take baths or wash your hands (Loved the above comments on that!); an inbred hick that just HAS to walk around barefoot--you should not have too many problems. Really.

I mean I have lived here for like centuries and while I have to admit to at least one case in parasites--quickly and effectively removed with local pharmaceutical decades ago--and at least one or two cases of food poisoning...none of it was fatal...

What I mean to say is that reasonable precautions: wash your hands, peel it or cook it well...will serve you well. If you live here, you learn just how to do this on a regular basis. If you are a visitor, just be smart. The hotels really do a good job regarding what they feed you, so you should be fine there. As for swallowing water during your shower? Not a major threat. Brush your teeth with bottled water. Do not walk barefoot...most Dominicans do not so why should you???

And do not worry so much....

HB
    I'm curious about the barefoot thing.
    Is there a perceived danger for parasites, from going barefoot?

On another note, this thread may serve to also get a bit of a census going amongst the expats, as to how many use bottled water vs tap water for brushing their teeth.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Celery has to be soaked in bleached water.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    On another note, this thread may serve to also get a bit of a census going amongst the expats, as to how many use bottled water vs tap water for brushing their teeth.
    I use tap water

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Another way to avoid coming in contact with parasites is to stay away from the animacion teams in the resorts............

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
    Another way to avoid coming in contact with parasites is to stay away from the animacion teams in the resorts............
    Of course you're talking about another kind of parasites. The best advise so far in this thread though.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast