Spousal sponsorship to Canada.....poster Castro's process start to finish thread

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Hello
I recently sponsored my husband to come to Canada to live. Everything seemed to be going really good. But now it seems like we are at a dead end. If anyone can help me with a timeline on how long this could take, I would really appreciate any info at this point. I am checking the computer daily to see if they have posted any new info on his file, but no luck so far. His timeline goes as follows.

January 15-2007- Went for his medical and police certificate before I came
for the wedding. So it was all done to do his papers
together while I was down for the wedding, and I could
bring them home with me.

January 26 2007- married

March 9 2007- Mailed application express delivery next day service.

March 12 2007 - Mississauga case processing centre received application.

April 2 2007 - I recieved a letter in the mail,I was approved as a sponsor.

May 10 2007-Looked on computer with client # and saw that his application
was in process for "permanent residence".

And now we sit waiting everyday waiting to hear something, but nothing yet. They say if you don't hear anything that it is better. This means all the paperwork is fine and nothing is missing and all the documentation is in order. Crossing our fingers, and praying everyday......... this is got to be the hardest thing ever to go through I would'nt wish this on anyone. What I can't understand is in the last week and ahalf they keep changing the length of time it takes to process applications. Before I went to Dominican aug 3 2007 it was 30% in 6 mon, 50% in 8 mon, 70% in 12 mon and 80% in 15 months.And the when I got back from D.R. on Aug 10 2007 it was 30% in 7 mon, 50% in 10 mon, 70% in 13 mon and 80%in 16months. And tonight I look it was changed again, less then aweek ago from the last time I checked. Now it is as follows 30% in 8 mon, 50% in 10mon, 70% in 16 mon and 80% in 20 months ( hope I got that right if not check the link on the site for immigration).It seems like they keep putting up the months it takes to process the appilcations. My question is do they count it from the time you put it in and they started processing it and add on the extra months? Or is this new times for the people that are just applying from now? How would we know this? Tomorrow I will try to get some answers from the Mississauga office. Any help on this would be great!!!! Thanks...............................

dchenriquez

Jan 26, 2005
It usually takes about 9 months on average I believe. So you should hear something by December. If you don't hear anything by then i'd inquire about it. Good luck.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
dchenriquez I copied the timeline you posted as a guideline ;)

September 2005 - married
October 2006 - medical done
October 23 2006 - Submitted papers
November 23 2006 - I was approved to Sponsor
March 2007 - online finally says "in process"
May 2007 - Medical Results received (update online)
June 23 2007 - update online "decision made"
June 29 2007 - visa issued and received passport
August 4 2007 - coming to Canada

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It would be interesting to see the stats on how many are declined!

It looks to me like the timelines get extended constantly. The number of applications is on the increase and they won't process them any faster.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
It usually takes about 9 months on average I believe. So you should hear something by December. If you don't hear anything by then i'd inquire about it. Good luck.

Thank you for all your responses, that's exactly what I need right now "luck"

castro

Jul 5, 2007
sorry guys I'm new at this, I'm not sure how to do this yet. Bear with me! Thanks......

castro

Jul 5, 2007
I did recieve an e-mail from the Haiti office regarding the length of time it takes their office to process applications. They said it would take 6-9 months from the time you sent your application to the Mississauga office. So it does not count from the time it says that they have started processing it on the computer. They count it from the day the Mississauga office gets it until they completely process it from the Haiti office. I also spoke with a lady today from this office . I told her that they changed the length of times on the computer for the processing times, which now would take longer to process. But she said it should not effect his application because he was given a "B" client number before they changed the times, this would be for new applicants applying now.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
How is your husband adjusting to his new life here in Canada? Is he missing the Dominican Republic yet? I wish you both the best!!! I hope everything works out, this is such along process for anyone to go through. And hard on everyone, does it still feel the same between the to of you. Now that he is over here and not on vacation mode back in the DR and dealing with the everyday stresses that each day brings?

Last edited by a moderator:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Please remember when dealing with anyone from the office in Haiti - they will tell you whatever they THINK you want to hear! Don't get your hopes up based on what they are telling you. I hate to see you get your heart broken when it takes longer.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Make sure he's able to receive the call for the interview. Some one I know married someone last October and completed all the paper work etc. and waited patiently for the call. After 6 months or so, it never came. She looked into it and discovered that he was called for the interview and he was deemed a "no show". He NEVER received the call because his home address is in some small town. She had to get her local Member of Parliament to intervene and she completed the paperwork that makes her the primary contact person for the interview. Immigration said they wouldn't penalize him for not appearing but that the he would go to the bottom of the waiting list. She's such a sweet girl and she was beside herself when she found out that her patience all for nothing.

When I sponsored my ex-husband (Iranian who was studying in Canada at the time), Immigration lost the application and we had to start all over. We were together but I was pregnant with our 22 year old daughter and it was very stressful because there was a war on at the time. I hope one day you'll just look back on your present situation surrounded by your husband and your family. Best of luck dear!

Last edited:

micky33

Nov 23, 2006
Im still going through the process, i sent in my papers last October and still haven't heard anything. I've called Port au Prince many times only to be put through to the answering machine only once did i get some one who gave me my hubby's "B" file number. I've also called Santo Domingo many time only to get that they still havent received anything and that its unasual that is taking this long.... I was get send them an email. Well since June i've been sending one a week and still nothing. So this week some one from Santo Domingo said they would send Port au Prince an email and see if they would reply....Im still awaiting.....I might as well just move to DR. Patience is the key but you've only got so much.....

Best of luck xox
Micky

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that in the months of July and August no one moves too fast in Haiti due to the heat and vacation time.

Repeated emails from the same people might be shall we say, overlooked :rolleyes:

castro

Jul 5, 2007
Why so long?

Did you not recieve a letter from the country you are sponsoring him from,
saying that you are approved to sponsor him? And when you get the letter it has a client # you can check the status of your application on line. This coming Oct would be one year, that does seem like a really long time not to hear anything at all. Maybe because you keep sending them e-mails weekly.....

micky33

Nov 23, 2006
Sorry i did get an approval from the immigration center also stating that our papers were being sent to Haiti. I also call Santo Domingo on a weekly basis and since i do the lady in the immigration department also tried getting some information and she did. So with what she got i email Port-au-Prince and the next day they replied. They are waiting for more info, well it only took 5 months to figure out they needed more info. Before this we were not aware of that. Also when my husband medical expired i email Port-au-Prince asking if we should go ahead and re-do it or wait until we are told to do so. They replied the same day. So to me sometimes they dont even read the email they are just deleted.( The lady from Santo Domingo also told me to try and change the header)

castro

Jul 5, 2007
what info

Did they tell you what other info they needed? And why did'nt they contact you to let you know? Is it because you called them why you found out, that you needed more info? It's funny when I've called they say that don't konw anything, and to contact the Port au Prince office. Which I did and she asked me to e-mail her my request for my husband's "B" client number. So I did and they never got back to me. But others have said if you bother them, they might take longer. So I don't think it's worth pushing the issue. It's been awhile since they posted any news on the computer. They say it;s better not to hear but..... I'm not sure.

marxsis

Aug 13, 2007
Hi all just an update I just received a letter today from our lovely embassy requesting additional documents. They requested...

- More proofs of relationship (ie: additional photos.)
- Copies of my passport pages showing all entry and exit stamps.
- Updated police certificate for 2007
- Original birth certificates for my wife and daughter
- Original marriage certificate
- An explanation why my daughters birth certificate was registered late.
- Secondary documents of birth for my daughter (ie baptismal certificate, or hospital record...)
- Form IMMRD10-A filled out and singed (which they mailed to me with this letter)

I was proactive and completed most of these requested documents before they asked for them thanks DR1!!!! So far everything is looking good. I now have my "B" file number but I’m not exactly sure what that does. Does it provide more details on the internet when accessing my wives application? Both my wife and I are getting excited. I am confident after they receive all my requested documents they will soon schedule an interview. This is the first contact I pretty much had from them since I submitted the application last October.

castro

Jul 5, 2007
"B" Client number

Yes with this number you are able to check on line what going on with your application. I think they update it weekly. I'm not sure but I heard that you get a "B" client number once they sent you a letter saying they would like more info. I 've tried to get my hubands "B" client number and talked to lady from the Haiti office, she asked me to e-mail her the request. But have not heard anything yet. But I have not heard anything in to regards as more info. When I check the client number I have it says his papers are i"in porcess". I when I mailed in the application, I did photo copy all my pages from my passport, as well as the orginal marriage cert. And loads and loads of pics, letters, cards anything I could think of that would be proof. Wedding invition, shower invition, guest lists what they bought. Our thank you card pic from the wedding. Photo cpies of engagment cards, shower, and wedding cards. Bill from the wedding at the hotel. All my e-mails from my wedding planner, pics of all my trips there, along with the tickets , boarding passes ect...... Anything I could think of so they could not call me and say there was not enough proof, I think I sent more than they needed. I could'nt even find an envolpe to put it in. I swear to god this thing was 3 inches thick I had to get fed express floppy envolpe to put it in. Got next day service so they had to sign for it . And I could track it on line when they recieved it. Sorry to babble on, just thought I would and some helpful hints....

mona

Aug 19, 2005
Hi. I am reading all your posts here and can appreciate your frustration.
I too married a Dominican man in:

april of 2007
May 11, C.R.C. Mississauga received app.
June 16, Approved as sponsor
July 25, In process

and nothing since then.

I have however contacted my local MP and asked for help. He is contacting immigration on my behave to ask for the status of my application. I don't know if this will help anyone else but he told me that if Haiti has given me no information later than six months after the app. is recieved is not acceptable.

I am hoping to hear from him tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest,( today being Monday).

marxsis

Aug 13, 2007
Yes it is very frustrating waiting. I submitted mine:

October 2006
November 2006, Approved as sponsor
May 2007, In process
August 2007, received letter requesting additional documents

It is frustrating as some other peoples file are pushed faster then others.

Can anyone answer the following questions since no one at CIC can answer it. What is the mailing address for the embassy went sending additional documents. The letter I received only has a P.O. Box number, but i cannot get confirmation that my package has been delivered to a P.O. Box and they Do not specify where to send it, I did get the address of the Canadian Embassy in Haiti off the website, is that the address I send it to?

My second question is at the bottom of my letter I received it states "Please send photocopy along with every civil documents submitted" Does that mean they want me to send the original documents such as original bank statements, and phone statements with a photocopy? It is not very clear, and when I spoke to an agent at CIC, once again I couldn't get an answer. All they told me was try and email them, which I did and I got no response....which I'm not surprised. Any help would be appreciated if anyone had to do this before.

mona

Aug 19, 2005
marxsis

I had to change the last name of my husbands children and did so by fax. I then called to ask for confirmation. My confirmation called 2 days after I left voice mail message.

CAN any one please tell me how long it takes for Haiti to receive medicals from the date of the doctor's visit?