Making some English speaking contacts

Tahoe

Aug 9, 2007
I have been living in Santo Domingo with my husband for 1 month. Although I am happily busy speaking with individuals for volunteer work opportunites in my profession (therapy with children having multiple disabilities), organizing apartment,figuring out the culture, brushing up on my Spanish....I am feeling very lonely for just initially meeting some international English speaking woman. I have lived overseas 2 times before, always with our 3 children. It was very easy to meet other people with the children connection. Much more difficult this time around.
Please help with these two questions:
1) How do I contact the international womans group? Is the Damas Dimplomaticas Group and the Ladies Guild of Santo Domingo different groups?

2) What is the name of the interdenominational English speaking church in Santo Domingo, address and hours of worship time?

Thanks in advance to all that can help!
Tahoe

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The IWC and the DDs are separate organisations, as far as I know. I'm sending you the contact details for someone who I think is involved in the IWC, so check your private messages.

The church I think you are asking about is on Ave. Independencia in Gazcue, between Pasteur and Danae streets, opposite the Communist Party HQ.

Other English speaking organisations you might like to check out are the excellent Helen Kellogg Library (behind the church) and the Santo Domingo Little Theatre Group - details can be found in previous threads through the search function.

priddymama24

Nov 3, 2006
Hey Tahoe

So glad I read your post!

You and I sound so similar. Our family (my husband and our 2 children) have been living here in Santo Domingo a little over a month and I feel the same. We have moved four times since 2002 and this is our 2nd out of country move as well (we are american) Where do you live? I will PM you, perhaps we can talk and meet sometime. Also we found the International Baptist Church that has a 5 pm Sunday English service--I don't know the address off hand but it is off of Nunez before Kennedy(you can google it they have a website)

Chirimoya, could you also send me the IWC info?? Thanks
Priddymama

Guachupita

Dec 28, 2006
Hi Tahoe, welcome to the DR. The church in Gazcue on Ave. Independencia is a Methodist church, called Iglesia Epifania. I don't know about English church services, but as Chirimoya mentioned, on its grounds you will find the Helen Kellogg Library, where I volunteer. It is a haven of English books open for membership to all. We reopen in September.

Also re: Santo Domingo Little Theater, they have a party scheduled for August 31. Great opportunity to socialize and make contacts and friends....email me for info.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I thought the church was Anglican.

BTW which day(s) do you volunteer at the library, Guachupita? ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chirimoya, could you also send me the IWC info?? Thanks
Priddymama
If you are in contact with Tahoe and she follows up the contact I sent her, please ask her about the IWC. :)

Good to see more SD-based posters all of a sudden!

Guachupita

Dec 28, 2006
Could be, Chirimoya. I'm not churchy..since it didn't look Catholic I just assumed it was Methodist...mea culpa. smile.

My day is Wednesday....mornings from 10 am to about 1 pm. And the church housekeeper provides yummy cawfee!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Could be, Chirimoya. I'm not churchy..since it didn't look Catholic I just assumed it was Methodist...mea culpa. smile.

My day is Wednesday....mornings from 10 am to about 1 pm. And the church housekeeper provides yummy cawfee!
I usually go on Thursdays, but maybe I'll drop by on a Wednesday for a change and say hello!

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
English speaking get to gethers would be very nice for my wife, like a lot of women folk, I think she needs this real bad. We are in Puerto Plata, if there are any English speaking folks that would like to listen to my wife PLEASE let us know. She is very very smart and is need of converstion. We have been together for 37 years, I'm a guy (not to bright) so you can understand her need for conversation. thanks in advance. Phil

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey Phil,
MY experience of the English speaking 'Ladies' in Puerto Plata is that they prefer to 'Chat' rather than just listen - most of them have pretty firm ideas of their own & like to discuss these with others. Maybe your wife would care to be 'Proactive' in this matter by organising her own get-together (in your house or at a cafe somewhere) once a week to start off with & see what support that gets. This could maybe later be turned into a support group for charities in the Puerto Plata area, of which there are many looking for helpers - English speaking need NOT be a drawback as some have dual language organisers! - Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
English speaking get to gethers would be very nice for my wife, like a lot of women folk, I think she needs this real bad.

Does she think so too? In which case there used to be a group of English speaking women who met weekly at La Roca, Sosua for a scrabble session. Is this still happening Linda? If so Gerry might like to join in. Scrabble the board game btw.

N

naturelover

is there a spanish version of scrabble ...the w must be worth a lot of points...would be a good way to learn