Hair!

eri-dominicana

Aug 23, 2007
I live in Minnesota, and am desperatly searching for a Dominican stylist! can someone pleeeeease help me with this?

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
I live in Puerto Plata, and am desperatly searching for an American stylist! Can someone please help me? The Dominican stylist tries very hard but my Spanish is bad and I am unable to make her understand what I want. thanks Gerry (Geraldine)

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Out of curiousity, what would a Dominican stylist in the states do so different that a American stylist can't do ???

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
La barbie I wondered that myself. I asked that question awhile ago and no one answered me so, I dropped it. Well, I have since found out.

Dominican hairstylists supposedly are amazing. In the Washington Post about 2 weeks ago??? or maybe I received it 2 weeks ago they did an article about Dominican hairstylists. I was astounded. This was the second one that I've read.

They come highly recommended. They have a following. They can do things that no one else can do-- better and cheaper.

It was or they both were very interesting articles!

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Dominican hairstylists have acquired fame because they blow dry hair very nicely, but especially hair that is dificult to manage (kinki hair, curly hair). Also the techniques that dominican hairstylists use are much less damaging (hacerse los rolos primero) than the way traditiionally done in the US (Blowdry wet hair directly). Some Dominican hair products are very good for this type of hair. Many Black women in the US Love to go to Dominican salon for this reason.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
oops, I posted on the wrong site. If someone can tell me how to upload an article/link I'll post it here. Or if someone wants to read it it's Washington Post--Dominican Hair. Google it/ixquick it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i personaly loath dominican styling, darn hair drying thingy is so hot it burns my scalp, maybe good for "difficult hair" (what originally grows as an afro) but too painfull for my hair.
end effect may be nice but the torture involved!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Here is the article about the Dominincan hair salons. I found it interesting.

Thanks to Bigbird I discovered how to post the site!!

Of Curls and Cultures - washingtonpost.com

Interesting article, thanks! It is funny, I always dreamed about having at least a few curls in my hair - it was always so straight, I hated it. And all these girls with curls don't like it!:confused: I guess the grass is always greener ....

kennie

Apr 8, 2008
looking for dominican hair salon minnesota...

I live in Minnesota and need help locating a Dominican hair stylist. Can anyone in this forum assist me please?
Thanks,
Kehinde

americus82

Sep 3, 2008
hello everyone,

i recently moved to minnesota the st. paul-minneapolis area and i am desperately searching for a dominican stylist, any help?

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
For those of you are wondering. The Dominican blowout, that's the hair straightening technique (conditioners, rollers and blowdrying with high heat using a big round brush from the roots). It's very hard to do it yourself.

dominican.jpg

Girls with straight hair pay $160 and up to put curl in their hair. I guess we value what we don't have. And we're always fighting our hair.

images

Vintage

Aug 26, 2008
lol i had an experience i never want to repeat again lol.
At the time it was horrible
i was getting married at twelve and i had pre-arranged an appt
to have my hair done for the wedding
the apt was for 10 am
i went there at ten am and the salon was closed
i waited for half an hour still noone
at about 1105 the girl showed up
i was freaking
she washed my hair with ice cold water
i asked for an updo
she had no clue how to do it
they had no elastics so they cut the wrist off of a platic glove
she put so much hairspray my hair was hard as a rock and could not be fixed
i was totally freaking
needless to say i had to rush back to the apt
wash my hair
and try to do something quick
my day was ruined because my hair was a disaster
i was very upset because i wanted to look extra beautiful on that day and my hair looked absolutely horrific
we got married anyhow
but i was very sad about my hair
my wedding photos looked bad because of my hair
i think canada has much better stylist
just my opinion