Looking for contacts down there...

Zeph

Aug 24, 2007
I plan on moving to the Dominican for a two year stretch and was hoping to meet some people to help me out. Where the best places to look for apartments are, where I might have the easiest time fitting in and most importantly what I can do with my free time. Since I'm such a laid back individual normally I can't really see myself having too many problems down there; but I'd still like to mow it over with an expat or two with some experience on the island.

Thanks,
Scott

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
First tell us what part of the island do you want to move to? Have you been here before? Are you coming for work? Tell us more about you and maybe we can help.

Zeph

Aug 24, 2007
Well, I'm not a hundred percent sure which part I'm moving too. It's all going to depend on affordability I suppose. From what I understand the northern part of the island is less of a monetary drain; on the other hand Santo Domingo sounds like a very appealing place too me.

I've never been there, though I am taking a brief trip early in 2008. I know some people that spent some time there during a medical recovery. They seem to be in love with it and outright tell me I'd love it too. From all the information I've gathered thus far, can't say I'd disagree with them. I'm moving there because I've spent my whole life here, in its' simplest terms. I want a new culture to learn, a new language to speak and a new people to get to know. The Dominican seems like a place where that desire could flourish. That is where I'm at.

Well, I'm not a hundred percent sure which part I'm moving too. It's all going to depend on affordability I suppose. From what I understand the northern part of the island is less of a monetary drain; on the other hand Santo Domingo sounds like a very appealing place too me.

I've never been there, though I am taking a brief trip early in 2008. I know some people that spent some time there during a medical recovery. They seem to be in love with it and outright tell me I'd love it too. From all the information I've gathered thus far, can't say I'd disagree with them. I'm moving there because I've spent my whole life here, in its' simplest terms. I want a new culture to learn, a new language to speak and a new people to get to know. The Dominican seems like a place where that desire could flourish. That is where I'm at.

Start with Sosua, visit Rockys. And in 1- 2- 3 you have all the important information you need for a flying start into your new adventure.

And if you like it here, maybe you will explore the rest of this wonderful country. :glasses:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Well, I'm not a hundred percent sure which part I'm moving too.

Well, better visit first. Spend time on the East Coast, the South Coast, the North Coast, the Samana Peninsula and the Cibao Valley ... once you figure on an area you like, it is much easier to figure out stuff like apartments. This is a big island. Why are you moving for two years?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I plan on moving to the Dominican for a two year stretch and was hoping to meet some people to help me out. Where the best places to look for apartments are, where I might have the easiest time fitting in and most importantly what I can do with my free time. Since I'm such a laid back individual normally I can't really see myself having too many problems down there; but I'd still like to mow it over with an expat or two with some experience on the island.

Thanks,
Scott
Your post is actually very wise.
A good part of an expat's success (in all senses of the word) has to do with the people he first meets and associates with.
Get mixed up with the wrong crowd and it could turn into a big mess, or at the very least, leave you with the wrong attitude, and attitude counts for everything down here.
So your agenda is a good one.
Now the secret is to work out who's who.
DR1 may afford you that opportunity if you can decide where in the country you want to start.
Once you've decided where, you can meet DR1ers online in that area, and soon know who you would like to meet.