Passport stolen-Help!

Jennyfurry

Jul 20, 2007
I need advice. I've already called all the banks and feel that my money is protected. But all my identity documents were in there. My passport, license in the states, credit cards....all are gone. Un lio.

I am really scared about my passport being stolen. The embassy is not very helpful. They are telling me that no one will be able to use it because I made a police report and it will be in the system as stolen. However when both police departments took my statement they recorded it in a notebook by hand. Then they made a document from a computer that they printed. Things here are slow so I really am scared that in the meantime something is going on with my passport. Please please, everyone, tell me everything that you think I need to do. And if anyone knows anyone in the embassy that can help me, I would appreciate the help immensely. I would have thought my embassy would be a lot more supportive.......instead they were content to dump me onto a recorded voice.

I have not even told you all the story of how this happened. We truly have professional criminals in this country.

Also, since they have my address and phone number and now know where I live and work etc, am I safe? Did they just want to make off with some cash and whatever and threw the bag in a river or are they going to stake me out and try to get something more? Someone please educate me on stealing here etc.

I have been here for one year. I know this was bound to happen eventually. I should have been prepared. Thanks in advance for all your exp

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
First of all, which embassy?

Second, have you done anything in the year you've been here that might warrant someone wanting to harm you? If not, then I wouldn't worry too much. If so, then you might want to reconsider you living situation.

I was robbed a few years ago too, they got my passport also but never had any problems at home. With the police report I requested my new passport and the consulate took care of updating their database so my passport couldn't be used. With that report I also recuperated all my cards, got a new cel phone and basically got my life back in order. It's just a paper, but it's what'll help you most to get everything back.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Jenny, Mark Ellis is the Chief of your Consular section, so ask for him. I'm afraid it won't do you much good to mention my name, I have spoken with him over an issue pertaining to a deceased US citizen, but I didn't find we were on the same wavelength. He probably knows that. :ermm:

Jennyfurry

Jul 20, 2007
Mark Ellis

Does he have a direct phone number? I don't think they would transfer me that easily, would they?

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
While I cannot help you very much, maybe a warning to others is appropriate. DO NOT carry all your ID with you! Leave some in another location then you are not totally screwed when it is gone.

Also, I suggest leaving a copy of important ID with someone you absolutely trust or in a safe or deposit box. In case your ID is stolen you at least have a copy to work from - for cancellation and replacement.

I have a copy on file with my lawyer here.

harrydr

On Vacation
Dec 12, 2006
GO to the office in Puerto Plata. See post #6 for the directions. Once you find the Abraxa Bookstore, the office entrance is on the side, go up to the second floor. You're more likely to get answers/solutions/help in person.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Also, I suggest leaving a copy of important ID with someone you absolutely trust or in a safe or deposit box. In case your ID is stolen you at least have a copy to work from - for cancellation and replacement.

Scan it all with a colour scanner and e-mail it to yourself.

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
Mark Ellis's cell # is 1 829 257 6473. If you had a US credit card call the issuing company and ask for the fraud department. Give them all your information. They will issue a 7 year fraud alert to the 3 major credit reporting agencies. This means if anyone tries to steal your identity with the stolen information these companies will be on notice to advise any other company not to issue anything until they get in touch with you. In addition, you are entitled to one free annual report from the 3 companies. It is important to get these asap to see if anyone has stolen your identity. Most people don't realize that this can be done without them knowing it until they apply for credit and find out, because of someone else they are deadbeats.
Adam

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Fraud alert

FYI: The 3 US credit bureaus will keep the fraud alert on for seven years but the consumer must renew every 90 days to keep the alert in place.Only one bureau needs to be contacted and they share alert info and are required to communicate such info with each other.

didi

Dec 24, 2002
Stolen Passport

I can truly sympathize with you. This happened to me in La Romana in '03. Scary it was, but I learned ALOT from the experinece. The most important thing is that you DID report it. Did you go to the Consulate soon after? My incident happened at an open -air used clothes market on a Friday afternoon... and I still don't see how it happened BUT it did. Lesson: NEVER carry your passport and ID with you. PHOTOCOPY the face page of your valid passport and also the same with the driver's license. if confronted by authorities, tell them that the originals are locked in hotel or house where you are staying. What they robbers want is the passport - so they can falsify. They can get up to $5,000 for a passport.

The consulate was very helpful. I came in on a Monday morning and had the new passport that same day. What I love about this is that my new passport is just exactly like the temporary passport and I carry the cancelled temporary one with a photocopy of the VALID passport with me. This works.

Adam Spenser

Nov 29, 2002
If the fraud alert is put in place by one of the credit card companies whose card was stolen, it will remain in place for 7 years without you doing anything.

Adam

Gossette Ortiz

Oct 17, 2007
Dont worry if you went to the embasy to report it when someone tries to use it they will be caught.
My American pass was stolen i reported it and i applyed for the other one and they gave it to me the same day, well now i dont think that they will give it to you the same day cuz there is a new law now so it takes 3 weeks, so hey dont worry!

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
It may be helpful to register your passport information with the U.S. State Dept.
before you travel or move to another country if you are a U.S. citizen. I was told that this would help expedite the replacement of documents if they are stolen while you are out of the United States. Here's the link:

https://travelregistration.state.gov/ibrs/ui/

This also helps if for some reason there is an emergency, or you need to be evacuated from the country. Supposedly, the U.S. embassy will help you out quicker if you do this.

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
Criss Colon
Oh, I'm sorry I forgot to ask your permission before I post. Maybe I can PM potential comments to you and you can make sure they are okay before I post them.
I've been looking for a genius DR1 mentor.