Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Gringo beggar outside Tropical, Puerto Plata

There is a well dressed German/Austrian outside Tropical Supermarket in Puerto Plata. He appears to approach foreigners only, not Dominicans, asking for money. Story is that his credit card is broken & he needs the fare to get back to Santiago. He starts by asking if you speak German; I replied in German telling him I had a little German, but did speak English & Spanish. He has poor English but reasonable Spanish.

He says he's a tourist but knows enough to know there isn't a German Consulate in Puerto Plata. If you suggest the Consulate he tells you he's Austrian. When asked which tour company he's with, he says he's an independent traveller. He gets uneasy when you suggest solutions which don't involve handing him money - like how to deal with 'broken' credit card. When reported to the floor manager of Tropical, they said he had been outside the store all day yesterday as well, but they didn't know he was begging because no-one had told them. Now they do. The German/Austrian is observant - watched me like a hawk when I drove away, probably because he guessed it was me who reported him. His story changes under questionning - the 'tourist' became a 5 month resident.

Don't get taken in - there are far better causes here to devote your money to.

He is aged late 30's/early 40's, 5 ft 9 ins approx, stockily built, white T shirt with mauve writing on the back, cream coloured shorts to the knee, cream slip on canvas shoes and a white cap. Some blond hair sticking out from underneath cap.

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    There is a well dressed German/Austrian outside Tropical Supermarket in Puerto Plata. He appears to approach foreigners only, not Dominicans, asking for money. Story is that his credit card is broken & he needs the fare to get back to Santiago. He starts by asking if you speak German; I replied in German telling him I had a little German, but did speak English & Spanish. He has poor English but reasonable Spanish.

He says he's a tourist but knows enough to know there isn't a German Consulate in Puerto Plata. If you suggest the Consulate he tells you he's Austrian. When asked which tour company he's with, he says he's an independent traveller. He gets uneasy when you suggest solutions which don't involve handing him money - like how to deal with 'broken' credit card. When reported to the floor manager of Tropical, they said he had been outside the store all day yesterday as well, but they didn't know he was begging because no-one had told them. Now they do. The German/Austrian is observant - watched me like a hawk when I drove away, probably because he guessed it was me who reported him. His story changes under questionning - the 'tourist' became a 5 month resident.

Don't get taken in - there are far better causes here to devote your money to.

He is aged late 30's/early 40's, 5 ft 9 ins approx, stockily built, white T shirt with mauve writing on the back, cream coloured shorts to the knee, cream slip on canvas shoes and a white cap. Some blond hair sticking out from underneath cap.
    I saw the same guy at the POP airport, 4 or 5 weeks ago, same description, only I would say mid to lat 40's.
    Same story about having to get to the consulate, only he said Santo Domingo.
    I sicked Politur on him right away, but he spotted it and split quick.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    I saw the same guy at the POP airport, 4 or 5 weeks ago, same description, only I would say mid to lat 40's.
    Same story about having to get to the consulate, only he said Santo Domingo.
    I sicked Politur on him right away, but he spotted it and split quick.
    You could be right about the age - they all look younger to me now I'm getting a little older.

I did ask him to produce identification - he has no cedula, says he has a passport but 'not with him'.

His observational ability sounds similar, as well as the description.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm a ese gringo lo que hay que haceer es ponerlo en medio del parque central bajarle los calzoncillos y darle un fuetazo bien dao por el c*** con una vara de esa' que cortan.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This is about another German fella who has lost it all, money, home, passport stolen and living on the kindness of strangers. He has been pretty much living in a church located in Residencial Juan Lockward de Montellano, Puerto Plata. Link in Spanish.

sacandomelao: Ayudemos a este Alemán

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A.Hidalgo View Post
    This is about another German fella who has lost it all, money, home, passport stolen and living on the kindness of strangers. He has been pretty much living in a church located in Residencial Juan Lockward de Montellano, Puerto Plata. Link in Spanish.

This is not the German fellow I saw at the airport.
    The one I saw is more portly.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not the guy I saw either. My one is younger, stockier & much better dressed. He gives off vibes where you know it's a scam. Looking at this guy I think if I encountered him I'd feel sorry for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    That's not the guy I saw either. My one is younger, stockier & much better dressed. He gives off vibes where you know it's a scam.
    I do believe that your beggar and mine are one and the same.
    The crowning touch is the cap.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

What about the German indigent. Anybody in Puerto Plata willing to at least help contact the German Embassy to locate family back home. But again he could be hiding from German authorities. A few coins might help for the present.

Lambada hope you don't think I am highjacking your thread

Post Thanks / Like

What about the German indigent. Anybody in Puerto Plata willing to at least help contact the German Embassy to locate family back home. But again he could be hiding from German authorities. A few coins might help for the present.
    Why does it have to be someone from Puerto Plata contacting the embassy?
    For my part, I know nothing about the dude.
    He may want to be a bum.
    He may be a criminal back home.
    Anything is possible.
    If he was a normal human being, surely he could have contacted someone, friend or relative to help him out, assuming he wants help, and as we all know, one cannot help someone who does not want to be helped, nor to help himself.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast