I need a few items

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I need walking/runnign shoes with really good cushions. Walked two days last week and killed my feet with cheap-o cutie sneaks. Where is a good place for real good sneakers?

I need a pasola. Never in my life did I think these words would be typed but I need one to run around town. Best brands? Reasonable prices?

Throw in your two cents. I'm new to this country (living here anyway.) Closest places to really shop are San Francisco and Puerto Plata.

thanks all.

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I have read more than once here on the board about a dealer in Gaspar Hernandez which sells motos at the best prices around. I would think they probably have pasolas as well, and that isn't too far from you. Cabrera, right?

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have read more than once here on the board about a dealer in Gaspar Hernandez which sells motos at the best prices around. I would think they probably have pasolas as well, and that isn't too far from you. Cabrera, right?
And clothing and/or shoe shopping is great there too.

Feb 7, 2007
I use passola to move around town, it's cheap, fast, and parking is abundant.

I have a Vento 125, a Domoto brand. It's distributed by Bonanza Dominicana but you can find them at your local moto dealer. Buy from the dealer, it will be cheaper than from Motoprestamos. If you buy cash, you are looking at around 55.000 pesos.

Mine looks like this, only it's blue
http://www.huoniao.es/images/hn125-2.jpg
these types are very popular ones.

They can handle 3 adults, and 2-3 huge shopping bags full of groceries.

But... have you driven passola before? You may need some training time before you head off to traffic.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I use passola to move around town, it's cheap, fast, and parking is abundant.

I have a Vento 125, a Domoto brand. It's distributed by Bonanza Dominicana but you can find them at your local moto dealer. Buy from the dealer, it will be cheaper than from Motoprestamos. If you buy cash, you are looking at around 55.000 pesos.

Mine looks like this, only it's blue
http://www.huoniao.es/images/hn125-2.jpg
these types are very popular ones.

They can handle 3 adults, and 2-3 huge shopping bags full of groceries.

But... have you driven passola before? You may need some training time before you head off to traffic.
No offense, Rubio, but I would rather slide down a 50 foot razor blade into a bowl of Iodine, than to hand over 1 single pesos of my money, for any of those Chinese POS bikes.
They must be made out of old habichuela cans, what with the way they rust and break down so fast.
Here's an article about Huoniao bikes. The Cheap Man Buys Twice Fear of Fish
And as if it weren't bad enough that they are total junkers, the dealers give you a cock & bull story about how they are actually Hondas or Suzukis and that all the parts are interchangeable.
Nothing could be further from ther truth.
Huoniao manufactures their own chassis & bikes right there in China, and any resemblance to any other brand is pure coincidence.
Lo barato sale caro.

Feb 7, 2007
I didn't tell her to buy the Huaonio passola. I just put that link to the image to see how the passolas look like. They all are the clones of the original Domoto and look exactly the same. That's why I put the link - for IMAGE purposes only to have idea about what kind of passola I was talking about.

If you read back my postg I said to buy one that is distributed by Bonanza Dominicana (Mitsubishi & Suzuki importer) as they deal with Domoto and Domoto brands (such as my Vento). Domoto is, as I was told at Bonanza, a Suzuki offspring for passolas.

Mine is no chinese junk and works very well and I am 100% satisfied.

P.S. The article you pointed out, Rocky, talks about a 125cc motorbike, not a passola. Even though I do not dispute that theiur passolas may be same junk as motorbikes. Again abck to point, that was a link to a picture, as that is a clone of original Domoto and Domoto looks the same.

Last edited:

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I didn't tell her to buy the Huaonio passola. I just put that link to the image to see how the passolas look like. They all are the clones of the original Domoto and look exactly the same. That's why I put the link - for IMAGE purposes only to have idea about what kind of passola I was talking about.

If you read back my postg I said to buy one that is distributed by Bonanza Dominicana (Mitsubishi & Suzuki importer) as they deal with Domoto and Domoto brands (such as my Vento). Domoto is, as I was told at Bonanza, a Suzuki offspring for passolas.

Mine is no chinese junk and works very well and I am 100% satisfied.

P.S. The article you pointed out, Rocky, talks about a 125cc motorbike, not a passola. Even though I do not dispute that theiur passolas may be same junk as motorbikes. Again abck to point, that was a link to a picture, as that is a clone of original Domoto and Domoto looks the same.
So your bike is made in Japan by Suzuki?
I searched high and low for the brand and/or model on Google and can't find anything under that name, except a reference to your DR1 thread.
Is Domoto the correct spelling?

Feb 7, 2007
I don't know exactly if Domoto is an "official" brand, for most sure I am it is made by Suzuki. It also may be possible it is a "branded" wholesale product, made by Suzuki but sold under different names in different countries/distributors, maybe something like Walmart Value Pak, and Safeway Value Pak, same product and manufacturer, but different branding at different distributor.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
When I click on the Domoto link, all I get is this.

Hemos operado activamente nuestra empresa con honestidad e integridad a trav?s de los a?os, mercadeando los productos y servicios MITSUBISHI con un liderazgo en calidad y desarrollando una intensa colaboraci?n entre el fabricante, distribuidor, dealers y empleados de la red de ventas.
Bonanza Dominicana C. por A. garantiza un optimo servicio y trato eficiente a sus clientes, ese es nuestro compromiso.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I don't know exactly if Domoto is an "official" brand, for most sure I am it is made by Suzuki. It also may be possible it is a "branded" wholesale product, made by Suzuki but sold under different names in different countries/distributors, maybe something like Walmart Value Pak, and Safeway Value Pak, same product and manufacturer, but different branding at different distributor.
Maybe Bonanza is relabeling another product?

Feb 7, 2007
Vento Motorcycles, USA

This is the one I have. It was made in Laredo, Texas. From the brief research I made the company is Mexican in origin, but now with main HQ in USA, they bought a license for these scooters from Suzuki.

There are quite a few (business) articles about the company on the web.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Vento Motorcycles, USA

This is the one I have. It was made in Laredo, Texas. From the brief research I made the company is Mexican in origin, but now with main HQ in USA, they bought a license for these scooters from Suzuki.

There are quite a few (business) articles about the company on the web.
From what I can tell from their website, they do not manufacture bikes, they import parts and assemble.
I would be concerned about landing up with a model that has Chinese parts, as they are so sub standard.
If yours is made from Suzuki parts, it should be good.
Suzuki have always made decent bikes.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
OK, now that we have the bikes sorted out, the question was for a pasola. A little thing with a handlebar, two wheels with a little platform in the middle where you put your feet on. Scooter?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
OK, now that we have the bikes sorted out, the question was for a pasola. A little thing with a handlebar, two wheels with a little platform in the middle where you put your feet on. Scooter?
We are talking about scooters.
They are part of the bike world.
Rubio's bike is a scooter.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I need a small one. Don't want to give rides. Just need to get four blocks up and four blocks down in a reasonable state, not sweating like a pig. Occasional Sunday jaunt to Playa Grande perhaps.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I need a small one. Don't want to give rides. Just need to get four blocks up and four blocks down in a reasonable state, not sweating like a pig. Occasional Sunday jaunt to Playa Grande perhaps.
Women don't sweat, they perspire.
There are all sorts of small pasolas that would suit you, but try to get one with decent size tires.
Pasolas with tiny tires wipe out way to easily from potholes and road dirt.