Ray Ban Outlet in the capital?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I picked up a pair of what appear to be Ray Ban's close to the hospital in Santiago for a very good price from a street vendor. At first I told the guy I wasn't interested but then he pulls out his car keys and rubs them across the lens of the glasses and it did nothing.

The frame is also high quality and they work great and are good looking. There is also an imprint of a "B" on top of an L" on both lenses. Also, the street vendor tells me he gets the glasses in the capital. A few of my friends really like them and want me to get a pair but I can't seem to find the guy anymore.

Is there a Ray Ban outlet in the capital or somewhere else on the island or are these glasses fake, even though they seem to be such high quality?

4ys6ccj.jpg

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Please let me know where you get them, I would love to get a pair !

Narcosis

Dec 18, 2003
I picked up a pair of what appear to be Ray Ban's close to the hospital in Santiago for a very good price from a street vendor. At first I told the guy I wasn't interested but then he pulls out his car keys and rubs them across the lens of the glasses and it did nothing.

The frame is also high quality and they work great and are good looking. There is also an imprint of a "B" on top of an L" on both lenses. Also, the street vendor tells me he gets the glasses in the capital. A few of my friends really like them and want me to get a pair but I can't seem to find the guy anymore.

Is there a Ray Ban outlet in the capital or somewhere else on the island or are these glasses fake, even though they seem to be such high quality?

4ys6ccj.jpg

It makes no difference if these are real or not, they are either stolen from a reputable importer or smuggled in. I don't think it is a good idea to buy this sort of item on the street.

Just a reminder to those of you tourist who think this is a good deal, the EU especially protects it's trademarks and you will have that fake Channel handbag or shades taken away from you and made to pay a fine equal to the price of the actual item...not worth it..

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
A quick check indicates that these are probably either knock-offs from China (likely) or vintage (1970 or before, real Ray Bans - unlikely IMHO).

Apparently Bausch & Lomb (BL on the lens) used to own the Ray Ban name but sold it in the 1970's and it is now owned by Luxottica. B & L used to mark the lenses with "B & L" (or similar) but this stopped when they sold the brand. The current marking is "RB".

A more in depth check might turn up more info if anyone is so inclined.

Gregg

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
It makes no difference if these are real or not, they are either stolen from a reputable importer or smuggled in. I don't think it is a good idea to buy this sort of item on the street.

Just a reminder to those of you tourist who think this is a good deal, the EU especially protects it's trademarks and you will have that fake Channel handbag or shades taken away from you and made to pay a fine equal to the price of the actual item...not worth it..

Who exactly is going to make you pay a fine over a bootleg item? What are you talking about? Do you mean at the airport? I don't think so. These airport security guys have enough to do then to try to fine passengers for stuff like this.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
150 pesos.

150 pesos? They are probably fake. Just keep in mind that fake designer shades will not give you the UV protection that you'll need and can actually make it worse, since the tinting of the shade would allow you to have your eyes fully open.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
I am wearing the real deal right now, same style as the one in the picture but I paid US$179.99 for mine, I don't think there is any way you can get real ray-bans for 150 pesos, maybe $150US.