Horses

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Where can one buy a horse? I see alot of horses in DR, and I'm wondering what is the median price for a horse? I could probably ask a campesino but I'd like to do some research before hand. I'm not looking for a Thoroughbred (although that breed is quite good), but a young horse between 3 and 4 years... maybe an Arabian or South American Criollo.... Actually any breed or mixed... Any insight would be appreciated.

Paz,
Guatiao aka capodominicano aka hek...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Where can one buy a horse? I see alot of horses in DR, and I'm wondering what is the median price for a horse? I could probably ask a campesino but I'd like to do some research before hand. I'm not looking for a Thoroughbred (although that breed is quite good), but a young horse between 3 and 4 years... maybe an Arabian or South American Criollo.... Actually any breed or mixed... Any insight would be appreciated.

Paz,
Guatiao aka capodominicano aka hek...

Most importantly, what do you want to do with your horse?

jcrew20

Jun 22, 2005
I have a Paso Fino. I paid $35,000 pesos for the horse and it costs about $3,000 pesos for someone to feed and ride it. There are a lot of Paso Finos for sale in Jarabacoa.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Just riding

Also Hato Major, north of San Perdo. working horses, as in cattle. from 20k up if I remember correctly

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
Thanks to all those that replied.

Where are you located?
In the States. Just doing some research prior to my next trip in January.

Most importantly, what do you want to do with your horse?
Just a horse to ride around when in the countryside, and maybe to breed. I'm not looking for polo ponies or racers.

Thanks to all those who have answered. I'm just doing a little research, I've spoken with some Dominicans and I just want to know the medians, and to know if they're giving me a "fair" price or a "North American" price.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
For a simple trail horse (I personally recommend gaited) of good size and health, look around RD$25,000 up. Cheaper than that I wouldn't recommend unless it's someone who's been well recommended to you. Keep in mind that they won't be trained like the horses you might ride in a "civilized" country, they'll go, stop, turn, maybe reverse but other than that, it's chinese to them. I can personally recommend you a few like this (used to be a ranch manager) so PM me if you're interested.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
LMAO!!! So we are an uncivilized country...

co?o pero que descaro, dios mio!

Ay pero no lo tomes personal que sabes muy bien como son las cosas en este pais. Yo lo adoro pero hay veces que uno tiene que preguntarse de donde sacaron esos metodos o maneras de pensar!

People who know horses are very aware that what you might ride on the countryside in the US, Canada, Europe in general, Australia, etc. are very differently trained than the economic horses in this country... The term I should have probably used is "educated".

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
2 questions:

In Santo Domingo:

Where to go horseback riding???

Where IS that racetrack?? (Shown on t.v. all the time).

Any online info? Any phone numbers?

Sep 19, 2005
2 questions:

In Santo Domingo:

Where to go horseback riding???

Where IS that racetrack?? (Shown on t.v. all the time).

Any online info? Any phone numbers?

when I was viewing google earth a while back I saw what looked like a horse race track on the east side of Santo Domingo.....

go check it out.

bob

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
ANYONE have an answer?? Horseback riding in Santo Domingo? I need #'s.

Which discipline? There are several riding stables in and around Santo Domingo, all depends on what you're looking for. If it's trail riding you want, as far as I know there aren't any public places since there's not much demand in SD for it. There are plenty of privately owned farms though...

The racetrack is on autopista Las Americas, between the airport and the city.

Mariposazul

May 5, 2005
How about horseback riding in La Romana/Casa del Campo?!!?!

It IS kinda far out, but well worth it, I'm sure.