The Best Chicharones are in Villamae

Coco Glaze

Mar 11, 2007
All the way at the end pass the gas station. When you see a blue tent and a little kid selling chicharones and yuca, you know your there.

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Bueno los gringos no comen eso....pero si, es cierto que puedes encontrar buenos chicharrones alla...despues de todos ya tienen casi 400 siglos haciendolos en esta area.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Que que?! Gringos don't eat chacharron! You are obviously confusing it with "mondongo" of "habichuela con dulce" - those two things no gringo in his right mind would eat - but chicharron - all day long mami! (con plastanos fristos con asgrias)!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
What are chicharones? I have eaten chicharones de pollo here in NYC and they are basically fried pieces of chicken in circular form. Some have bones and some are boneless.

I am assuming that this is NOT what chicharones are in the DR. Please let me know as I don't want to roll up on Villa Mella and discover that chicharones are not to my liking.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
The chicharron in Villa Mella is good, pero ay dios mio, el trafico!!

They also have really great chicharron along the autopista by the cutoff to San Francisco de Macoris, on both sides of the overpass, and no traffic (other than the people going past you at 140 km/hr)

It`s all good, but still not as good as mi suegro's in San Pedro.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Bueno los gringos no comen eso....

If gringo is someone from the USA i don't know
If gringo means white from europe and or USA

I love it and the best are always the first you eat when arriving in the DR. There is a little stall just outside Puerto Plata direction Santiago. It always causes a stir in the camioneta when my wife half asleep notices the stall and yells CHICHARON at the top of her voice ;)
After traveling 12 hourse it is, together with COCERO, the traditional sign that we arrived. Last time the whole camionetta yelled Chicharon befor my whife noticed it :bunny:

Greetings

Johan

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hablando de chicharron - the best part for me is to get a good peice of the crispy skin with just a little bit of fat andjust a little bit more masa and then eat it with plastanos con agria y unas frias grandes.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
So if I'm supposed to get to Villa Mella to eat this delicacy, how do I get there from the Colonial Zone by publico and where do I get off?

Is there a specific place to get these chicharones or would anyplace do?

I am assuming that people here who frequent Villa Mella have a particular spot that is their favorite, so please-let us know!:cheeky:

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Berzin, take the publico from the Parque de Independencia at the end of El Conde, and go down Avenida Bolivar (the one-way street that runs to the west). Get out at Avenida Maximo Gomez, and catch a guagua or publico that goes north ( "arriba" para los publicos) on Maximo Gomez.

Go a loooong way north, past 27 de Febrero, past John F. Kennedy, past Cementerio Nacional, over the river, and keep going. You will come up a big hill on the other side of the river, and then the road will jog a bit and continue north.

This area is Villa Mella- just ask the driver or the passengers where you can get chicharron, and they will drop you off near somewhere that sells it.

sollie

Jul 30, 2006
Mmmmmm

Gotta admit, I love chicharron. Once every other week and I double my daily dose of blood pressure/cholesterol meds. Only if they've been cooked recently, though.
I eat the Mexican version and wonder if they are the same in the RD? Not just deep fried pork, ( that would be carnitas ) but extra thick pieces of bacon meat with the skin left on, deep fried until crispy. I always feel guilty when I eat them but, man, when they are fresh and cooked in a good oil ( peanut ), they are off the hook. If they are more than a day old, they are dreadful. Is this the same thing?

Sollie

Funnyyale26

Bronze
Dec 15, 2006
Gotta admit, I love chicharron. Once every other week and I double my daily dose of blood pressure/cholesterol meds. Only if they've been cooked recently, though.
I eat the Mexican version and wonder if they are the same in the RD? Not just deep fried pork, ( that would be carnitas ) but extra thick pieces of bacon meat with the skin left on, deep fried until crispy. I always feel guilty when I eat them but, man, when they are fresh and cooked in a good oil ( peanut ), they are off the hook. If they are more than a day old, they are dreadful. Is this the same thing?

Sollie

Yes, I think it would be the same. This is how our version looks like...

103897007_01af7b869f_o.jpg

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006
drooolllling all over my keyboard.
I have also heard from many that the best chicharrones are in Villa Mella

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Wow that looks delicious, but please not with hair, yuk.

I had Chicharron in Tampa, FL this weekend, and I was surprised that it was delicious, crispy and very tasty, no bad pork taste, very fresh and very nice.