Boca Chica, Juan Dolio or Punta Cana

DRandGR

Aug 27, 2007
After several visits to the DR, we are considering buying a condo in the DR. A great place to vacation and possibly retire to one day. We have seen several beautiful oceanfront developments in each of these areas (Boca Chica, Juan Dolio & Punta Cana). Each seems to have many pros and cons. Just looking for opinions, if it was you which would you consider and why??

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
If proximity to a major city (Santo Domingo) is important, go with the south coast (I wouldnt go near Boca Chica myself let alone invest $$$ in that area).

Aesthetically speaking, Punta Cana is more appealing but is also more "touristy" and the nearest town is Higuey approx 1hour away or La Romana approx 2 hours away.

From what I have seen, there are a lot of very attractive developments going up in the PC area.

Good luck in making your decision.

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
I am embarassed about the amount of visits I made to Boca Chica in my life. For the last few years, business owners that I know there say the plan is to work with the police to cut down on the sex trade and other nonsense and encourage more family vacationers, but everytime I go, its same old Boca Chica. Mostly guys from the US and Europe walking in packs looking for streetwalkers and a cheap good time. Women hanging out with the guys that rented them for the week. Locals doing the beach scene on the weekend. Some families walking around during the day. Might be a good move if you could get in cheap and things were changing there. If it was my life and my money, I would make a choice between Juan Dolio and Punta Cana.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Juan Dolio is the place to be!!
Close enough to the capital when needed and far enough from the 'too touristy' and 'sex oriented' areas to be perfect!
Warm Caribbean waters and just a hop, skip and a jump to La Romana and Punta Cana for boating excursions and golf.......

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
MommC

You make a wonderful point. Juan Dolio is the smart move. Centrally located. Still have to consider price.

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Choices.....BC, JD, or PC???

Forget Boca Chica, far too slimy, JD perhaps but speculative as well, PC, if you lke tourist and crowds + speculation...

Perhaps you may wish to consider St Maarten (2 countries in one Island), St Croix (it isthe USA, depressed for over 15 years but making a comeback) even Pacific Coast Mexico. All three place I suggested are in the same price range and have 24 hr. electricity (or at least better than the DR). PC electric is private (CEPM, they do have decent electricity). ;)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Juan Dolio - more like a small town. Close to San Pedro for everything you need (11kms). Less tourists - well less hotels, more apts. Close (45 mins) to capital and interantional airport (25 mins). Caribbean sea.

Punta Cana. More modern. many more hotels, many more tourists. Long way to major amenities, long way to Santo Domingo. Atlantic ocean.

I would go for Juan Dolio. Why not pm DanaP. She has been looking at both - research first and then visited both. See what she says.

Matilda

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I would definitely say Juan Dolio. I DO stay in BC often..but if i was looking for a condo or whatnot i would pick juan dolio. Quieter beach, not infested with the sex trade...and you are still close to Santo Domingo...so you can have some city life as well as the beach.

what about guyacanes (sp?) its right next to juan dolio...no big resorts...nice and quiet...and you can walk to juan dolio...get to either playa caribe or B.C. or SD easily.

thats where i would look, if i had a few extra pesos.

I think Punta Cana is just too far away from the city and "real" life and just way to resort and touristy.....something that i think juan dolio might become after all the development is done. SO that is why i say guayacanes..

DRandGR

Aug 27, 2007
At this point everyone has confirmed my thoughts on Boca Chica. We are really deciding between Juan Dolio andPunta Cana.

Steve Costa Azul

I love Rocky's Ribs!
Jul 15, 2006
Hurricanes

At this point everyone has confirmed my thoughts on Boca Chica. We are really deciding between Juan Dolio andPunta Cana.

One often overlooked advantage to buying on the north coast, is that hurricanes don't generally make it there. They come from the south, travel north and weaken over the mountainous terrain.
Good luck!
Steve

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Hurricanes are not a big worry in JD if you're abode is well built!
Our condo weathered a direct hit from George with only torn awnings (they were getting worn looking anyway) that needed to be replaced. One of the units suffered a broken window from flying debris and one had a door that needed to be repaired but only because it was left unlocked and the wind blew it open.

Guayacanes has a lot more drugs and crime than JD.....:(