Be careful of the orange cards

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I dont know if all of you are aware when you buy an orange card here you dont get all of it credited to your phone, a huge junk is taken in tax so when you enter the number you dont get the full amount that is on the card. But now Ive noticed that they are taking more. When you check your balance after you have installed the card number, it shows the amount you have been credited, then the tax amount deducted. But the balance you actually receive does not equate, they credit you even less pesos.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
not just orange

I dont know if all of you are aware when you buy an orange card here you dont get all of it credited to your phone, a huge junk is taken in tax so when you enter the number you dont get the full amount that is on the card. But now Ive noticed that they are taking more. When you check your balance after you have installed the card number, it shows the amount you have been credited, then the tax amount deducted. But the balance you actually receive does not equate, they credit you even less pesos.

happens with all cards everywhere, there are always taxes included. then on a lot of cards there is a connect fee. Tmobil does the same time of thing in the us.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
not all

Wow you mean they are charging all that tax and a connect fee - even on a contract number???? I am on contract but just use the cards for top up

no idea on contract? prepay contract?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I thought this was normal practice. Every pre-paid phone card I have used has been the same.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
and taxes on telephone calls in the DR are at 28%.....so, for your RD$100 Orange card, you get $72 of calls.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I use a Verizon (Codetel, Claro, whatever they call it) pre paid phone. If I insert a 100 RD card I receive a 100 RD credit to the balance. If I insert a 250 RD card, I receive 250 RD credit plus an additional 50 RD bonus. I believe that the taxes are taken out per minute as you use up the balance but not when you insert the card. Am I missing something here?

Yes, taxes.
It's just a different way to calculate.
Orange choses to advertise "only" so and so many pesos per minute (+ taxes). So, when you buy credit they credit you with so and so much money after deducting the tax portion.
Others may chose to show a peso per minute amount all inclusive... so, the card amount gets credited fully.
The bottom line remains, which ever a way, you pay taxes.

It's just like super markets and their receipts:
Some show the ex-tax price of each item PLUS the added tax amount. Others show the full price (with the tax incl.) and the how much of it was taxes.

... J-D.

Feb 7, 2007
What the prepaid and flex Orange says (#131#)

Tu credito sin impuestos es XXX, con impuestos YYY.

So when you buy 100 pesos card, and you load it up, it says
Tu credito sin impuestos es 78 pesos 13 centavos, con impuestos 100 pesos.

You buy 100 pesos Orange card, and you get 100 pesos with taxes. Same as anywhere else. Let's sa y Orange charges a minute at 5 pesos + taxes, so it's 6.40 with taxes. But either way it's the same that gets deducted, 5 pesos off 78.13 pesos balance or 6.40 pesos off 100 pesos balance.

Both Orange and Claro publish their rates and monthly plan fees exclusive of taxes.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
With Orange pay-as-you-go SIM card I had there was no connection charge/fee when loading a top-up card, only the taxes as mentioned above. (I guess the contract type is different !)

Feb 7, 2007
There is no connection charge on any of the Orange service plans, be them pay-as-you-go or contract, and those be prepaid or postpaid.