Russians Buy Sosua Gym

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The Russians have purchased Sosua's Golden Park Gym instead of building a new one, as was first thought they were going to do. I first heard this yesterday but wait to get more confirmation before posting it.

Russians were seen at the gym today making some measurements, et

Reportedly the Russians have the Gold Gym concession for Sosua.

With the Russians taking over the Golden Park Gym and the new gym that opens September 10 on Pedro Clisante, it will be interesting to see what happens next.

One thing about the Russians in Sosua is that they seem to have plenty of money and are very willing to spend it.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Oh, may be I will get some discount then? Hey guys, may be it is the time for you to start learning Russian! Privet!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Robert, we'll see.

The early talk was that the Russians were going to build a gym in their project and that it would be a Gold Gym. But now they have the Golden Park Gym. Hard to believe the Russians would have 2 gyms.

Sosua most certainly doesn't need 3 gyms. One good one with decent prices would be enough.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
And who was the owner of the Golden Park Gym before Russians bought it now?

leehall

Oct 24, 2006
Sos?a-News The group has bought a large piece of land (valued at 15 million dollars) from General Antonio Imbert Barrera, where they are building the project known as 'Sos?a Ocean Village'

The land purchased from General Imbert is not anywhere near Sosua Ocean Village. Imbert's land which was also sold for far less than $US15m is located just behind the helicopter pad on Calle Aliejo Martinez and next door to the Infinity Blu projet (land also formerly owned by General Imbert).

Sosua Ocean Village is located further along the highway and adjacent to Playa Laguna, but have their own access road from the highway.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
The land purchased from General Imbert is not anywhere near Sosua Ocean Village. Imbert's land which was also sold for far less than $US15m is located just behind the helicopter pad on Calle Aliejo Martinez and next door to the Infinity Blu projet (land also formerly owned by General Imbert).

Sosua Ocean Village is located further along the highway and adjacent to Playa Laguna, but have their own access road from the highway.
:ermm: i read it here

Sos?a-News ?

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
The Russians own Golden Park Gym as of Monday 27th August.

I have not been to the place for long time - that is bad.

Did the new owners keep the previous staff? Trainers, front office people, managers etc? Or they hired all new personnel now? Russians?

Anybody visited the gym recently to work-out?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have not been to the place for long time - that is bad.

Did the new owners keep the previous staff? Trainers, front office people, managers etc? Or they hired all new personnel now? Russians?

Anybody visited the gym recently to work-out?

Yes, I go regularly and so do others on the message board. SKY, for example.

What staff are you talking about. It has been some time since there were any trainers. The only staff is the girl behind the desk and the cleaner.

The present girl behind the desk in the mornings is good; she worked in a gym in SD for many years. Good chance she is staying, though this is supposition. I believe she thinks she is.

The change in ownership can only improve the giym.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Yes, I go regularly and so do others on the message board. SKY, for example.

What staff are you talking about. It has been some time since there were any trainers. The only staff is the girl behind the desk and the cleaner.

The present girl behind the desk in the mornings is good; she worked in a gym in SD for many years. Good chance she is staying, though this is supposition. I believe she thinks she is.

The change in ownership can only improve the giym.

I guess not so long ago there were trainers (instructors?) there. People with enough knowleadge to ask practical questions.

One of them was a dominican man Alex. Also a european woman with blond hair. In a very good sport shape herself and able to give good advice to some female trainees (sometime even to males too who did some excersise wrong!)
I think they are (were?) an asset, and if this institutional memory is lost in transition it is bad.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
AK74, I think you mean Felix. He was only there a short time. He will be in the new gym that opens Sept 10 across from Hotel La Esplanada.

The European woman was not an employee at that time. She had been managing the place for past few months and there were rumors she was involved in a group that was buying it. What she will do now, I don't know.

She has been in the area for a number of years and has been involved in a variety of businesses.

She has been working out for many years.

In recent months the gym has gone down hill in a noticeable way. It can only improve under the new owners.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
I hope so. I hope our new Russian friends are legitimate capitalists, and aren't part of the mafia that's branching out into third world countries for cash laundering purposes. Those guys make Dominican tigres look like pussycats.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I hope so. I hope our new Russian friends are legitimate capitalists, and aren't part of the mafia that's branching out into third world countries for cash laundering purposes. Those guys make Dominican tigres look like pussycats.

That is in my mind, too, and is why I am not asking any questions.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Reports from people close to what is going on at the Sosua gym, now that the Russians have bought it, are interesting. Reportedly, another floor will be added to the building, new machines will replace present machines, a tennis court will be constructed, space for aerobics will be increased, etc.

Sounds very promising.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Are there plans to build a basketball court as well like I suggested to the previous managers? Currently there is not a single one in Sosua. Going every time to play to los Charomicos is not very pleasant to say the least. Who is managing the gym and construction now? Serguei himself? Or Lesha? Or somebody else?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Don't know, AK47. Have heard that somebody suggested a handball court