New to DR...

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
After a long wait, I have finally moved here!! I arrived on 15th August and never looked back!! I love my apartment in Sosua and I love my job (maybe not so much the early mornings though!) I am getting used to the heat and love the local food so I think I am settling in well. I have a cold at the minute though which is a bit annoying....I dont even understand how you can catch a cold in this heat!!

Anyway....so far so good. Just thought I would let everyone know I am officially a dominican resident!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
After a long wait, I have finally moved here!! I arrived on 15th August and never looked back!! I love my apartment in Sosua and I love my job (maybe not so much the early mornings though!) I am getting used to the heat and love the local food so I think I am settling in well. I have a cold at the minute though which is a bit annoying....I dont even understand how you can catch a cold in this heat!!

Anyway....so far so good. Just thought I would let everyone know I am officially a dominican resident!
Congrats & welcome.
Dominican colds/gripes can last an awful long time, sometimes a week or more.

deejaa

Aug 19, 2007
I am envious! Where abouts did you settle in?
I am hoping to make a move there, at least part time, by next year. I will have to make a couple of trips before I make that final decision.
Good luck

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Rocky,
The amount of times I walk past your place is unbeliveable...I need to go in one time to meet you! Let me know when you will be there next and I will introduce myself. Perhaps you know of a good cold medicine I can use? Its not pleasant working with this at all, especially when it is so hot!

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
deejaa,
I am living in Sosua, near to where I work. So far no complaints!! I cant believe it came round so fast...I remember it was this time last year that I started counting down.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Rocky,
The amount of times I walk past your place is unbeliveable...I need to go in one time to meet you! Let me know when you will be there next and I will introduce myself. Perhaps you know of a good cold medicine I can use? Its not pleasant working with this at all, especially when it is so hot!
I've never found anything that helped.
When it's really bad I take anti flu pills that help relieve the symptoms but do nothing to cure it.
If it gets really bad, sometimes antibiotics are required.
If it's making you crazy and you want to see a decent doc, Servi Med in Cabarete are just about the best around.
809-571-0964

I live here at Rocky's, so am here most of the time, although I do hide out part of the time. Mornings & evenings are best.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
Rocky,
Clare dont forget he has a nap in the afternoon ? vince1956

Last edited:

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I am a teacher and it is going very well right now. We are only working until 12 this week yey!!! But all I do is sleep after really since this cold is draining me. Dont think I need a doc but I have been to that medical centre before...expensive but good!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am a teacher and it is going very well right now. We are only working until 12 this week yey!!! But all I do is sleep after really since this cold is draining me. Dont think I need a doc but I have been to that medical centre before...expensive but good!
Hope you get well soon.
BTW: I always found them to be super inexpensive at Servi-Med.
Anyhow, there's no price on health.

CJnNJ

Aug 7, 2005
Rocky,

Congratulations on your move!

Now as for that cold, our housekeeper swears by Flutox Jarabe and Soladek. We bring back quite a few of the viles when we're down there, specifically for her. You should be able to pick them up in any pharmacy. We get them in SD, but I don't imagine they'd be hard to find elsewhere.

Neither my partner nor I have tried either one (I'm a Coricidin and Zicam man myself) but it may be worth a try.

Good luck to you.

cj

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Welcome to the DR. When we first got here we had a couple of colds for the first month or so. I think it was just the new bugs we were exposed to. Once this initial episode was over no colds since. For now decongestents, fluids and dont forget the chicken soup.

Just a caution beware of the use of antibiotice here. It seems that no matter what may be the problem the docs here give you an antibiotic. All the antibiotics in the world will do very little to help with a virus and that is what
most colds are. By the overuse of antibiotics we are creating super bugs that are not responsive to any antibiotics. What will eventually erase the human race from the face of the earth is not war, global warming or fellow man, but a small microscopic bug!!!!!!!!!

Bob K

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
For gripe i have found that a hot rum toddy is good......boiling water, 2onz extra viejo, juice of about 3-5 limes, and a teaspoon of honey.....have a couple and call me in the morning
congrats on the move, i have been here over 3yrs, and haven?t looked back

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Thanks for the advice everyone. I slept better last night but this morning I am still sneezing and sniffly! It seems to be moving to my throat now which is not good as I am prone to throat and chest infections....fingers crossed it will go soon. I will try the rum and lime for sure!! Maybe not on a school night though haha!!

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Good for you and hope everything goes well (including getting your clothes washed).

I'm not a doctor nor did I stay at Holiday Inn, but I recommend 1/2 bottle of Brugal straight 4 times daily ... it won't cure you, but you won't feel any pain :)

Btw, I had similar symptoms - runny nose, sore throat, mucus in throat, & headaches - after a trip to the DR, which turned out to be bacterial infection and required antibiotics ... see a real doctor.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
YOu will be prone to more of these when you first get here as you adjust to everything.

Be very watchful if this goes into your chest. At the first sign seek professional medical advice. Do NOT listen to locals as they will give you all kinds of good and bad advice, you just won't know which is which. I have had pneumonia more then once here and I can tell you it is NOT fun.

bellissima_81

Apr 19, 2006
hey girl
well i had that too happen to me when i first got there all i did was go to the local pharmacy in sosua told her what i was feeling she gave me antibiotics and some pastillas to help it out and within 3 days it was gone! hope u feel better

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It is a real issue here the way antibiotics are handed out! You do yourself a HUGE disservice when you take antibiotics you don't actually need. You will build up a resistance to them and when needed they may not work.

SO, until medical tests say you NEED them, do not take them. Too many locals take one or two or three days of antibiotics based on flu symptoms and they do NO good at all. The symptoms just run their course so of course they feel better.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
It is a real issue here the way antibiotics are handed out! You do yourself a HUGE disservice when you take antibiotics you don't actually need. You will build up a resistance to them and when needed they may not work.

SO, until medical tests say you NEED them, do not take them. Too many locals take one or two or three days of antibiotics based on flu symptoms and they do NO good at all. The symptoms just run their course so of course they feel better.

Planner is absolutly right. We are creating super bugs. I had a friend here who had abdominal pain and went to the Doc. Her WBC (white blood count) was normal, she had no fever no chills. She was told it was a Pelvic infection and was given a RX for an anitibiotic. She DID NOT HAVE A PELVIC INFECTION. So even with lab tests you may still be given a useless RX.
I used to tell pts that they could take all the antibiotics in the world and they would be better in 7-10 days or so or just treat the symptoms and it will take about a week to a week and a half with viral infections

Bob K

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Check your apartment for mold. If you have air con check the filter. Black mold is the #1 reason for sick homes worldwide.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Dominicans swear by a drink made with watercress (berro), radish (rabano), onion and honey. You can buy a syrup in the pharmacy or make it yourself in the blender.