Toys for children

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickmtl

Oct 31, 2005
Good day to you all.
I have been reading DR 1 for several months.
First please let me say don’t bash me for my English spelling look at the substance and any constructive bashing is more then welcome.
I have a foundation (www. flpdn.org ) in Canada and I am looking for help in one specific area in and around Sosua.
I DO NOT NEED ANY MONEY . for now that is well been taken care of here in Montreal. WHAT I NEED IS OVER THE CHRISTMAS HOLLYDAYS VOLENTEERS.
For the last 5 years I have been sending to Sosua some 6000 toys to be given out over the Christmas holydays to children in various towns ( Sosua, Sousa Abaho, La Union Charamico, La Piedra, El Tablon,, Cangreo and others.
I need organisation; last year for instance we were in Charamico at le gaierra (where they have cock fight) we had some 1000 kids, clowns, popcorn and soft drink but no crowd control. Imagine 1000 kids that want a toy accompanied by 1000 parents pushing to get a head of the line where the toys are being distributed (( view that in your mind )) we were lucky no child got crush,
I know there exist in Sosua a group that give out toys ( for instance I read about Rocky’s)
I do not know how many people are involve but perhaps these people would be interested in joining my group and I in return can reserve a few hundred toys for there festivities.
I will be in Sosua from the 8 to 22 of October I have a condo in El Neptuno during this period of time I can be reach at 809 805 5505.
Richard Fondation Canada R?publique Dominicaine sans but lucratif aide humanitaire

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Crowd control would have to be coordinated with the Junta de Vecinos in location where you go as well as a contact with the Policia Nacional but they will surely want gifts for their kids first (understandable). Also speaking with the Sindico (mayor) of where ever your location to distribute may be, can be very helpful. Know that he (or she) will take any credit due.
Tell them and they will forget, teach them and they will learn, involve them and they
will remember. Presents don't last. Perhaps a different approach for assistance might be considered. If you have access to resources please consider more than the immediate gratification of presents. I do applaud your intentions however.
But when I see tourists throwing candy from trucks going through the neighborhoods I am sadly reminded of why signs at zoos often say 'don't feed the animals'. There is a behavioral and well studied reason for that.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Richard I would be glad to help you just contact me when you arrive, Ive PMed you my tel number here. I know many areas where the children receive nothing, they dont even have shoes. I have helped where I could

rickmtl

Oct 31, 2005
Tflea

You may be right perhaps there are better thing to do with the money rather than buying toys.
We spend about 60,000 $ per year on different project in the DR (( see the Webb sight ))
Initially the foundation was created after I was solicited by an expat a fellow by the name of Pierre Dore who no linger lives in Sosua , I contributed to his venture and went along with them to various barrio to deliver the toys, In one little town after giving the toys an elderly women call me in her home and gave me a bag containing 6 eggs it brought a tear to my eye that when the foundation was created .. This philosophies of giving toys right or wrong was well received by the people I solicited here in Montreal. That is why and will continue to remain the bases of the foundation.
I appreciate and thank you for your comments,
Richard

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Richard,

The children would be thrilled by your toys donations, where I will take you they have never even seen a toy, if you feel so inclined you may help with their food also, there is a good Dominican supermarket with cheap prices, that I use when I buy donations of food, rice beans pasta, bread coffee, tinned milk , such small basic things that they need, any shoes, flipflops will do just so they have some foot protection, there is great poverty here in certain areas away from the towns and anything anyone wants to do will help tremendously.

Anyone is welcome to help, Im sure many do want to but just dont know what and where to help.

There are areas that tend not to receive any assistance from the kind charities here, as they are out in the sticks, as it were, so its great someone like you is arriving

Thank you in advance Papa Christmas

Kimadj

Oct 23, 2003
Count me in if you need help, would be nice to do something in the Cabarete area,
Kim

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Mission Statement

rick,
web site mission statement is excellent as well as the intentions and the donations.....all super. If you'd like to directly assist some schools, orphanages, clinics, families, sports teams or whatever plz PM me for info on legit and needy areas of the Sosua community. If you'd like tax exempt status for donations, that'll help guide direction of the suggestions.
US$60K yearly as an example will build a 4-classroom school and office and pay the majority of expenses for the entire year in an impoverished neighborhood.
That is the sort of sustainable gift that can make a difference. If a donor seeks the gratification of a child's smile, they will get it every time they visit the school they helped build, or from photos when others visit......education and health care....the building blocks.
Keep up the good work in whatever direction the foundation takes.
Kids can make their own toys from scratch if they have the mental tools to invent them.

Status
Not open for further replies.