What is Life like in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

honeybunch

Aug 1, 2007
can anybody tell me what life is like living in the DR. Medial coverage, employment, housing etc. Is it worth it to move from country like canada or the US to a developing country like the DR. PROS AND CONS...... thanks so much!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
...Medial coverage...

Are you from Bristol? :D
Seriously though, this is such a broad question. The answers will vary depending on your age, whether you are single/married/with kids, how much money you have, what part of the country you're interested in - tourist area/rural area/large city, whether you'll be working/seeking work/supporting yourself with a pension/savings/investments/lottery win...

If you give us those details, it will help us advise you.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Are you from Bristol? :D
Seriously though, this is such a broad question. The answers will vary depending on your age, whether you are single/married/with kids, how much money you have, what part of the country you're interested in - tourist area/rural area/large city, whether you'll be working/seeking work/supporting yourself with a pension/savings/investments/lottery win...

If you give us those details, it will help us advise you.
That's a really generous offer, Chiri.
I figure that nothing less than a 10,000 word essay would do.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
can anybody tell me what life is like living in the DR.

It's like living on the other side of the looking glass. You have to spend time here to get an understanding of what it's really like.

It's not a good idea to move here with little or no experience of the place.

Many a foreigner has moved here on a whim only to leave some time later babbling, drooling and a lot lighter in the pocket book.

The best tool in your toolbox is your awareness. Beware. Be Aware.

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
It is a good idea to read read read this message board. Do some searches - see the button above labeled Search - then come back and ask specific questions.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I never questioned giving up my life in UK...objects arent important. It is all an adventure...

but at the same time I have kind of landed on my feet here. I have a beautiful studio apartment in a very secure area (no pool :-( with wireless internet, electricity 24/7 and a really good job. We dont get much hot water but i dont even need it in this heat! Theres nothing I have found difficult about living here yet...maybe that will change in a while but so far its the best thing i ever did......they could do with getting a KFC and Starbucks here though to make life even better.

I suppose you dont really need those though as dominican coffee and fried chicken is so good anyway!!

daydream

Bronze
Sep 19, 2004
they could do with getting a KFC and Starbucks here though to make life even better.

There is a KFC in Santiago if you get desperate :)

As for Strabucks......that's something I would like to see in the DR also.....maybe one day ;)

N

naturelover

starbucks is very overrated...i would rather have my coffee in a proper cup

honeybunch

Aug 1, 2007
yes i have been to the DR to times for vacation (punta cana) going again in november to see Puerto plata. i will read up on the links i was provided to see. i guess im just wondering about terms of employement, apartment living, and the health care system. I work with children with disabilities. So basically i have a diploma in early childhood education and special needs education, but i aslo have great computer and customer service skills. im not sure where i could work with this in the DR and what they pay. Also aproximetly waht rent is monthly for an apartment and how good there health care is, can you get coverage (my job covers my medical and dental, can you get that in teh DR as well and in what jobs?)

honeybunch

Aug 1, 2007
to answser some of your questions from above... i am 25 years old, no kids, not married. i have just begun my career here in canada and am saving,,but for waht i dont know yet! it all depends on where i chose to live. i am thinking of the puerto plata area as i have heard good things. background on me (early childhood education/special needs children) is it better to open a business? and how much? what is the average rental pay for an apartment? or it buy an apartment? i am guessing less then what it costs in canada,,,,but then salary down there, i dont know.
how much do you figure i will need to bring with me to get me started out (renting and finding a job)

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
Do searches, we have covered costs of living, health care etc many times on this thread. When it comes to work, there are jobs avail.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Poverty

Nobody so far mentionned one more aspect of our life here -- How stressful and depressing can be constant contact with extreme poverty around you. Everywhere. After awhile you might even get a scary feeling that poverty can be contagious.

Another thing: you did not say if you are male or female.

If male - the idea of going to DR is great, as you will get rid of constant police harrasment and will find a huge romantic variety.

If you are female - the idea is bad. You will lose much more than you`ll find or gain.

DR is paradise for single men. Not for single women. For me it is always a big mistery why single gringas come here to live !!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
You know, I'm thinking honeybunch is either completely naive, or is just trying to yank on people's chains. If you are seriously thinking about relocating, honeyb, you're in the right place. The folks here have tremendous experience in country, and you'd do well to heed their advice.

Some of which will be as follows: 1) read the posts on relocating. 2) Read the Sankie 101 and related posts. 3) Read them again. 4)Then post specific questions, and you'll get much more illuminating answers.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Nobody so far mentionned one more aspect of our life here -- How stressful and depressing can be constant contact with extreme poverty around you. Everywhere. After awhile you might even get a scary feeling that poverty can be contagious.

Another thing: you did not say if you are male or female.

If male - the idea of going to DR is great, as you will get rid of constant police harrasment and will find a huge romantic variety.

If you are female - the idea is bad. You will lose much more than you`ll find or gain.

DR is paradise for single men. Not for single women. For me it is always a big mistery why single gringas come here to live !!

Sometimes I wonder if this is becoming a totally anti DR website... although I am fully aware it is not right for everyone, depending on your views and values, it is not ALL bad so please stop trying to paint the fact that it is to everyone. Yea, yea, yea, I know you will say I have much to learn and you are probably right but "my picture of the whole thing" is obviously a lot different to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.