SFS and domestic staff

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Hi everyone,

I've searched the forums and got no results for SFS - I need to know what I should do about enrolling my domestic staff in this program and how to do it.

Anybody have experiences in this aspect? I'd be glad and appreciative of any advice/assistance.....

Thanks,

Bryan

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
According to an accountant from Santiago - if they are full time they must be enrolled.

That was news to me too....

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
Very interesting indeed. I guess everyone will be cutting their staff down to part-timers as this will only create more headaches and paperwork for everyone. If you cut some from Full time to part me, I dont think you would have to make any major declaration or change. Just send them home a couple of hours earlier (but don't cut/adjsut their pay). It is hard to believe that Domestic help (cooks, maids, gardeners, serenos, etc.) is included in this law. I for one, would like a second opinion.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Thanks

for your input so far.

I've discussed this with a few friends and colleagues, I should say Dominicans and/or very long-time residents too. Their attitude seems to be that so far they have been the social insurance of their domestic staff particularly for their live-in maids, cooks, housekeepers and the like. They don't dock their pay if they have a few days off sick, they take them to the doctor when it's needed and pay for their medication and so on. This is also more or less what I've been doing.

I don't believe that the state system will be to the advantage of my housekeeper, because if I'm going to pay the monthly contribution I'm no longer going to do what I've been doing so far and she'll have to rely on the TSS/SFS for her medical and social security needs - from what I understand of the "benefits" she's not going to be any better off and probably a lot worse.....

Also once she's registered for SFS I guess she will be "on the government's books/computer" as having an income, and she will probably become liable for all the other things that go with that. As an undeclared worker she is, so far, off the record.

I believe that many so-far "undeclareds" are going to find themselves out of work, others as has been suggested above will officially, or otherwise go from being full-time to part time, I also believe that many "declared" workers may find themselves out of a job as their employers find that the rising costs are affecting the viability of certain employees.

Anyway, I'm happy to have been able to bring this to your notice and will enjoy sharing experiences, knowledge and any other information concerning this topic. Perhaps I should have put the original post in the "Legal" section, but anyway, i think this is going to reach a wider audience.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Maybe we could move this to the legal board and hope for an opinion from Mr. Guzman. I am sure this will effect many of us.

Bob K