Long term parking in POP.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have read the previous threads, however, I would just like to be reassured that if its still safe to leave an old car parked for 3 weeks in POP airport? Would they tow it? Vandalize it? Rob it? Steel my rims? use it as motel at night?
Are there expats who still leave their cars there to fly out and come back after week or 2? Please give feed back.
AZB

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
AZB, If you want a good place to park your car for a few weeks, I will give you a good rate! And I might even take you to the airport and pick up as well! Service is our most important job! Sosua Self Storage

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Thanks, I don't want to complicate the issue. I can fly out of sti but it so happens, POP has a direct flight to atlanta. Now if I can't leave my car at the airport (pop) safely then I guess, I will simply fly out of sti and change plane at jfk for atlanta. I can get cheap or free ride from home to sti airport. I just want to know if its safer to leave the car at pop airport. I want to know if people have done this recently.
If I have to leave the car at a storage place and pay daily rate and then pay for taxi to shuttle me to airport and then pay again to come back and all. It will be not worth it. I might as well take the bus to sosua and then taxi to airport.
All I want to do is leave my car at the airport and come back after 10 days and take it back with me to home. Is this possible and safe?
AZB

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
AZB I don't think it is safe to leave your car for 3 weeks! However if you want to leave it with me - I'd be happy to babysit!

Let me know your plans, I'll go with you to the airport and then pick you back up 3 weeks later. And we will run your car 2 times a week if needed to make sure it starts.....LOL

At your service my friend.....

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
The Swiss garage , right after Texaco gas Station.

2 minutes to return to the airport with a motoconcho.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Of course don't do this AZB! Unless you want to make buddies with one of the maleteros and pay them a little. But really, don't do it for that period of time. I think we left a car there longest for three days one time and it did not feel comfortable.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
From what I heard about your car you can leave it open with the motor running and the only thing you will need is gas when you get back.

Serioulsy, I know people that have left their car there for two or more weeks with no problems. Leave it in the first row towards the rental cars.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
From what I heard about your car you can leave it open with the motor running and the only thing you will need is gas when you get back.

Serioulsy, I know people that have left their car there for two or more weeks with no problems. Leave it in the first row towards the rental cars.

Ummm, interesting. Its a 1990 toyota tercel that i am thinking of leaving. its in good condition now after the paint job. The only thing that worries me is the aluminum alloy wheels. Some tigre might find them appealing.
By the way, i do know a maletero there. He was my patient and worships me. Lets see if I will fly out of POP, I just might consider campesina's offer. It sounds like she has a great business offer, baby sitting cars and giving shuttle services to airport and back. It could be a good idea to leave it with her as cars and home are vandalized of traveling expats when they leave their home alone. So Campesina, you have a good business idea.
AZB

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Thanks AZB. I have heard from a gazillion people that they thought of doing the same thing, but I actually did it! Sosua Self Service is open and ready for business! Storage units for everythng from suitcases, tv's, scuba gear, golf clubs or a whole housefull of furniture! We are located right behind International Furniture Designs (used to be Bahias Tropical Plant Nursery) on the road that goes back into the old Casa Linda Hotel.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Frankly, if anyone's having to resort to "self service" in Sosua, something is seriously wrong....

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Seriously though, congratulations and best of luck. It sounds like a great business!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Park It

POP airport parking is public parking. I like Campesina's idea, she has a secure place with good service. Public parking is just that. Be aware that parking in POP airport will change in the near future and will be by the hour, not the cheles now charged. 90-180 days is what is meant by 'near future'.

N

naturelover

i also have a nice lockable garage for rent with iron gates...if anyone is interested send me a message....in the la mulata area

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
In my case, its much easier to take the bus and then the taxi to airport than to have the car locked up in someone else's house and pay them the daily rate plus worry about back and forth to airport. I mean, santiago is not that far from pop airport.
AZB

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
In my case, its much easier to take the bus and then the taxi to airport than to have the car locked up in someone else's house and pay them the daily rate plus worry about back and forth to airport. I mean, santiago is not that far from pop airport.
AZB
If Campesina's offering you shuttle service as well as the storage, that may be the ideal way to go.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Like I said before, I could offer a car minding service!! I could look after anybodys car while they are away to keep it running and safe.

I am a quiet english girl (professional teacher) with a full clean english license.

I miss driving so would be fun for me and safe for you as the car would be looked after.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Like I said before, I could offer a car minding service!! I could look after anybodys car while they are away to keep it running and safe.

I am a quiet english girl (professional teacher) with a full clean english license.

I miss driving so would be fun for me and safe for you as the car would be looked after.
The same goes for me, as long as the car is fairly new, sporty, fast, a good handler and quite luxurious.
Don't bring me your Hondas and Toyotas.
I would like anything from Lexus and Acura up.
Maseratis and Ferrari's are more than welcome.
I will keep them running and safe at night of course.
Please bring them here with a full tank of gas.
Thanks, Marco.