Dominican "secret" to happiness?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I my experience away from the tourist areas here in Cibao, I have made the observation that inspite of all the problems they have here, Dominicans generally seem happier even though they have less material wealth. Dominicans are much more socially open that say Americans or Europeans this based on my experience as an American and my somewhat extensive travelling in Europe.

For example, I find it much more easier here in the DR to make casual acquaintances that in the States or Europe. Here in the DR I can greet perfect strangers and start up a conversation with a smile and Dominicans generally respond quite well whereas in the States or Europe if I tried to start up a conversation with a unknown fellow more than likely I would be seen as "odd" at best but more than likely as "gay".

If it was a women in the States or Europe, it may seem as an intent to be promiscuous and depending on how pretty she thought she was compared to me she may not even respond or a minimal response as possible - this I know becasue it has happened to me(hell I'm ugly what can I say).

Also, if I were to greet a small unknown child in the street in the States at least one would be labled as a potential child molester. In the DR you are looked at as odd if you have a cold heart for children.

I'm curious to know what is happening to the Western countries? My mother said when she grew up in the US in the 40's everybody knew their neighbor. Where I grew up as we became older more and more neighbors to their very best to avoid one another. Where we lived for 4 years in Orlando we were friends with only one couple across the street and the others were basically unknown. Here in the Dr I know all of my neighbors and if I'm feeling like a need to a little gibber jabber to brighten my day well I'll just step out of the house and find a neighbor to chat with. Guess what, here if a neighbor sees you coming they won't run inside or try to pretend that they don't see you. Maybe it has to do with something that the US has a severe problem with deviant behaviour and thus people have adjusted. In fact I searched a list of registered sex offenders within 5 miles of my house and there were over 300, quite scary.

I already have two very good friends here in the DR which is more than twice that I had when I lived in the States. I don't think Dominican guys are so self conscious about being "approached" by a gay guy that they put up some kind of front. For this reason I must already have like 10 acquaintainces that I could call up and go over their house to have a cold one or two. I also don't think that the real beauties here(there are thousands of them mind you) feel like they are waisting their time having a polite if somewhat frivolous conversation with a ugly sad sack like me.

I grew up in the Deep South, Charleston SC, where supposedly genteelness reigns. In fact it was voted as the friendliest City in the US at some point. However, I can tell you it is not even in the same league as Cibao. I don't understand why things are like they are with respect to valuing genteelness and the family so much but I sure hope it never changes. Maybe this is why Dominicans don't seem to get to riled about all the goings on around them, heck when they can just step out of the house and invite the neighbor over for a bite and a cold one and a good conversation about baseball.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I'm afraid that Nals is sharpening his pencil and is about to bore us with a 20 paragraph dissertation on the woes of US culture and upbringing, so before this turns into a debate the size of Pico Duarte, let me say that I like and concur with your observations.
That is the big bonus of living here.
We should consider ourselves lucky that the rest of the world has not caught on as to how wonderful it is here, and we should hope and pray that the DR does not change quickly and lose it's magic & charm.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hey Chip didn't know you were from Charleston. I just spent a week down there with my wife. Great place...

Anyhow, I think you're mostly correct in you statement above. I do think that some of it has to do with how large the city is. For instance I think the same thing that happened to you in Orlando could happen in Santo Domingo, where you could live in a house for years and not know your neighbors.

Good or bad, I think Dominicans still have a certain amount of naivety and you just don't think that this guy wanting to converse with me might just be gay. The US culture has become jaded, probably mostly due to the Media just sensationalizing every case. I don't think in general American are any more or less devious than Dominicans (some people will probably say the opposite is true) but every time there's a child abduction or a pedophile is all over the media for days or months at a time and it's all you hear about, thus it creates in a you a certain amount of mistrust of other people.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can certainly relate to what Chip wrote: He is ugly!!

Sorry Chip, could not resist.

However, the body of his post and of his take on things Dominican is what makes this place so attractive to people from Europe or North America (north of the R?o Grande).

Well said Chip.

HB

I agree with HB - great post Chip.

I am American, but also have been living in San Pedro de Macoris for the past 10 years, where my wife, myself and our children do mission work and provide humanitarian aid.

It's my opinion that Dominicans are the most resilient people I have ever met. I also agree with Chip's comments about how friendly they are. All someone has to do is sit at JFK waiting for a flight to the DR to see this. The few Americans on the flight keep to themselves, while the Dominicans, most of whom didn't know each other before they arrived at the gate, are all chatting and laughing. Just to see what reaction I would get, I have tried the "Dominican approach" while waiting to board the plane. The Dominicans greeted me with friendliness, while most of the non-Dominicans were wary of me, to say the least.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
Great to see a positive story about the warmness of the Dominican people. Whenever I visit Santiago and stay at my mom's home all the neighbors treat me as if I have been living there for years. Friendliness not found in New York.
Btw what do the females DR1 members think of Chip's looks.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
This is an interesting thread. I don't think Chip is ugly. I agree that people are not nearly as warm in the US or anywhere in the world as in the DR (I heard the same about Costa Rica as well). Of course, sometimes they are really nice and friendly to you for all the wrong reasons, but I did talk to a lot of really nice, open, warm and friendly people in the Dominican Republic who were just that - nice, open and friendly. People in Europe (I am more familiar with Eastern European culture) can be also very warm, nice, friendly and generous but only if they know you. To stranger - not really because it can be dangerous sometimes. In the US - people are so busy, they don't have time for just socializing. Every time someone is being nice to me - I start thinking - they are going to try to sell something to me :ermm:

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
I live in the Bronx area of New York in an apartment that has 5 other families living in it other than my own. About 4 months ago I had something awkward happen to me. I was catching a bus to Manhattan from my neighborhood and this lady was staring at me at the bus stop. New York is full of mentally ill people. When you take the bait and begin talking to a stranger, alot of times you regret it because you are subjected to hearing every weird and sordid detail of someone's life story or because its a panhandling trick. I continued listening to my mp3 player and tried to keep my eyes off the lady ( honestly if she was a little better looking I probably would have tried harder to strike up a conversation). On the bus ride it dawned on me that the lady was my neighbor who has lived in my building about as long I have (7 years). My building doesn't have that many people living in it. I am friendly by nature, but I don't talk to strangers in the street, guess its a product of my upbringing. Many dominicans in Santo Domingo will board a dingy crowded bus and loudly say "saludo" to everyone on the bus. Murphy's law being what it is, I recognize that lady much more than I did before around the house and the neighborhood, and she avoids eye contact with me now. I ruined a chance to get closer to one of my neighbors because I followed the cultural norms of New York instead of D R. She's as guilty as I am because she refused to make the first move. Yeah, its different here.

Baracutay

Apr 13, 2007
www.centrelink.org
II already have two very good friends here in the DR which is more than twice that I had when I lived in the States. I don't think Dominican guys are so self conscious about being "approached" by a gay guy that they put up some kind of front. For this reason I must already have like 10 acquaintainces that I could call up and go over their house to have a cold one or two. I also don't think that the real beauties here(there are thousands of them mind you) feel like they are waisting their time having a polite if somewhat frivolous conversation with a ugly sad sack like me.

Hey there Chip!
Two things:
(1) yes we are a very warm and friendly people,its only when we live abroad that we seem to lose our minds........!

(2) From previous where we both submitted pictures it was clear that next to me you look like Brad Pit!

Chip I will be calling you this week to give you some updates.
All the best
baracutei

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Woohooo! ; )
Is it hot in here?

Ok I'm blushing. However, you haven't seen me in person and obviously I'll only post the best looking photos of me. Fact is, when I was growing up I must have been been rejected more times than the humback of Notre Dame. I've had girls hang up on the phone in mid conversation, completely ignore me when asked if they would like to dance and otherwise ignore me for most of my adult life.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Ok I'm blushing. However, you haven't seen me in person and obviously I'll only post the best looking photos of me. Fact is, when I was growing up I must have been been rejected more times than the humback of Notre Dame. I've had girls hang up on the phone in mid conversation, completely ignore me when asked if they would like to dance and otherwise ignore me for most of my adult life.
If it's an ugly contest you want, I'm in.
I bet my uglies can beat yours, any day.
When I go diving, the sharks swim away.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I've been thinking why is it that Dominicans and Europeans/Americans on the most part differ with respect to friendliness, and I think it must have to do with trust.

I think most Dominicans trust that in informal situations that the other person will not show aggression and behave in a respectable manner. This gives the "greeter" confidence that they won't be "shown up" or ridiculed in front of others.

On the other hand Europeans/Americans seem to have an uneasy time with respect to meeting with strangers with an underlying tension whether based in something sexual or certain readiness to "defend" oneself, either by words or physical means.

When you get down to it the Dominicans "method" is certainly superior and more advanced culturally IMO. I base this on the opinion that with regard to cultural aspects such as this, the ultimate form of said aspects would be one where it embodies the application of the "Golden Rule".

What is interesting is that it could be said that because the Northen Europeans are more primitive in this aspect of social interaction that they have had by necessity to create more laws to compensate for their lack of initial "trust" in strangers. By the same token, therefore one could postualte that Dominicans, because of initial ability to trust strangers, have therefore not had the necessity to implement complicated laws like the Northern Europeans in order to keep the "peace".

An example of this in practice would be the interaction betweeen family members. Typically, family members establish "rules" if you will based on verbal agreement and trust where each party believes and knows that the other family members will not make decisions or take actions to compromise or hurt them. If you apply this to a societal level, it could be postualted that this is the reason that some societies characterized by this type of "familial" social aspect have "lagged" with respect to Northern European types societies with regard to creating complex legal systems. Simply put the Dominicans have not had the pressing need to create similar complex legal systems that characterizes the Northern European societies as it functions more or less closer to the "honor sytem" type of social interaction.

The odd thing is that it would seem to be apparent that there are some distinct advantages of the Northern European type of system. One it keeps people "honest" because they fear retribution but a positive side effect is that people more or less have confidence that the other person will be responsible with respect to their social responsiblities because of this manmade "accountability", ie laws.

However, this type of "system" has it's limitations - basically to what can be "governed" by law. Since for the most part laws don't necessarily dictate (as of yet anyway) norms social interaction (ie how to greet somebody) therefore people are not held accountable for their actions, more or less, in Northern European systems and therefore, becasue of this inherent lack of structure, lack confidence that "strangers" will act in a respectable manner(because they don't have to).

The Dominican system is quitre different of course and obviously has it's advantages as is apparent. There are some obvious disadvantages to this type of system as most would already suspect. Obviously, with a "familial/honor" type of system there is felt less of a need to have complicated legal systems like that of the Northern European and therefore laws aren't as strong. However, such a system will be more readily open to abuse as there are fewer "checks" in place to keep people honest, as is readily apparent here in the DR with the amount of corruption with respect to abuse of public monies.

The next question is how do we take the best from both and is it even possible? Modern societies have learned over the centuries from the previous societies for instance the Persians, Greeks, Romans, etc and I don't see why we shouldn't expect it to continue to evolve. How to put it into practice would be intersting to say the least. All I know is it that the DR could be one of the better places to live on this planet if they could have some leaders who wouldn't abuse he system so much. No how do we get the people to change their way of thinking to propose laws that actually can be enforced without getting rid of their socially superior ability to trust?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
All change has it's price.
The more we develop in the DR, the more we will be like the rest of the world, and it won't be as nice and charming as it is now.
Progress has it's downside, like the guy said, "Careful what you wish for".

BTW: Good post.

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
I agree Chip, you're definitely ugly, but don't take it personal, I think all men are ugly.

I also agree Dominicans are warm and friendly and they will talk to you wherever you are - in line at the supermarket, waiting for a taxi, walking on the street or along the melacon, etc. But, I'm always wary that there's an ulterior motive and so I'm guarded with my interaction and 'friendship'.

aimelove

Aug 26, 2007
I also agree that the post was well done by Chip. The future of the Dominican Republic is in my thoughts often because I plan on buying a home, retiring/dying there. When I see more traffic signals, when I see a modern public transportation system being built (slowly) on Maximo Gomez, when I see McDonald's, Pizza Hut and Burger King (I do not like those places to eat, but it is a symbol of change), I see the attempt to modernize. When I started working for the airlines in the late 90's, I was in the rare position to travel anywhere my airline flew for free when I wasn't working. All of my coworkers liked bringing native born Americans like me with them to their home country on our days off to show where they were from. Europe was too far away to do in two nights, you could only go there on vacation, so Peurto Rico and DR was visited more often. San Juan reminded me too much of the US. DR was new fun and exciting. Although I have been all over the country many times, I still feel that excitement getting off the plane when I feel the humidity stepping off the plane and see the Brugal counter near immigration and the line of people waiting for their family and loved ones at the exit. I enjoy most of the charming things that were alluded to in that post. I moved into a new field, and I still travel there often, even though I pay full price for my tickets now. I initially considered retiring there under the premise that it is going to remain pretty much like it is now. That is highly unlikely. Societies change, but like the previous post describes, this change could be a model for the rest of the world. My suggestion from the outside looking in: less emphasis on western style malls and restaurants and more emphasis on creating a tax base to improve the infrastructure and public services.

Baracutay

Apr 13, 2007
www.centrelink.org
My suggestion from the outside looking in: less emphasis on western style malls and restaurants and more emphasis on creating a tax base to improve the infrastructure and public services.
I agree with this opinioon as well.I tavel to Puertop Rico even more than I do to the DR and I am appalled at how westernized the island has become. Hopefully the DR will continue to grow, but at its own pace and without losing its cultural integrity.
About Chip being Ugly (lol) nah Chip, just look at my picture when \ever youre feeling ugly and I assure you, you will feel better about yourself instantly!
All the best
Baracutei

montreal

Bronze
Apr 17, 2006

I do have that effect on men ;)