President Fernandez in New York

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
President Leonel Fernandez is expected in NYC to attend Counterpart International, in association with its Caribbean Media Exchange on Sustainable Tourism (CMEx), 2007 World Leadership Awards fundraising Gala which will showcase five world leaders, singled out for their contributions to improving lives in their regions and around the globe through their work, on Wednesday, 19 September 2007 in New York City. President Fernandez is one of the leaders that will be honored.

The event also coincides with 15th Annual Dominican Week, organized by the Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti law firm. President Fernandez is also on the program of events for that activity that seeks to strengthen relations between the US and the DR. 19-20 September in New York City, and 17-18 September in Washington, D. C. President Fernandez is on the agenda for speaking on American Chamber of Commerce-sponsored events on 20 September in NYC and 18 September in Washington, D. C. See RV&HB - Index

Last edited:

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Update on President Fernandez's visits to US

President Leonel Fernandez will travel to the US in mid September to attend Dominican Week and Counterpart International events in Washington, D. C. and New York City. President Fernandez is scheduled to speak in Washington, D. C. as part of the 15th Annual Dominican Week, organized by the Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti law firm to strengthen relations between the DR and US. The President will address competitiveness and free trade on Tuesday, 18 September 8:30am to 9:45am at the US Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C. The event is part of activities for the American Chambers of Commerce in Latin America (AACCLA)?s Annual Meeting/Businessmen and Policy makers from the Western Hemisphere. See http://www.aaccla.org/events/detail.asp?EventID=135
On Wednesday, 19 September the President will be in New York City to attend the 2007 World Leadership Awards fundraising Gala that will showcase world leaders that are being singled out for their contributions to improving lives in their regions on Wednesday, 19 September 2007 at Guastavino?s in New York City. President Fernandez is being honored by Counterpart International, in association with its Caribbean Media Exchange on Sustainable Tourism (CMEx), for ?championing the cause of the needy and underprivileged.? Other honorees are Senator Allen Chastanet, Caribbean Tourism Organization?s chairman, and David Finn, founder of Ruder Finn, one of the largest independent public relations firms in the world, and Paxton Baker, executive vice president of BET J for pioneering role in launching music festivals across the Caribbean.
On Thursday, 20 September, in New York City, President Fernandez will speak to an audience of investors and financial sector representatives on business and investment opportunities in the DR at the New York Yacht Club (7:30-9:30pm).

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
In addition, the President will be a speaker in the Washington, D.C. "Report Card on Education in Central America and the Dominican Republic" breakfast discussion organized by InterAmerican Dialogue. Wednesday, 19 September from 9:30 am to 11 am, Rayburn House Office Building B-318. This is part of a Partnership for Educational Revitalization in the Americas program in coordination with the Global Foundation for Democracy Development (GFDD). Apparently, the event is by invitation only.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
CORAL GABLES

DOMINICAN PRESIDENT GIVES TALK AT UM

Dominican Republic President Leonel Fern?ndez speaks about trade and U.S.-Dominican relations in Coral Gables on Monday.

The event, organized by Center for Hemispheric Policy of the University of Miami, begins at 4:30 p.m. Monday at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, 50 Alhambra Plaza. The fee is $30 for the general public and free for UM academics and students with valid ID. Registration is required prior to the event.

Contact Isabel Artime at Isabel.artime@miami.edu or call at 305-284-9918 for more information.

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
Leonel Fernandez to speak at Harvard Sept 24

Topic: Development & Democracy in Latin America: The Dominican Example

Date:Monday, September 24, 2007
Time:5:00 - 6:30 pm
Location:CGIS South, Tsai Auditorium, 1730 Cambridge Street, Cambridge, MA

Link to Harvard's announcement

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
1. Fernandez in the States
President Leonel Fernandez begins a two-week tour of the US that will take him to Miami, Washington, D.C., Boston and New York City. First on the President's agenda is a talk on trade and US-Dominican relations at the University of Miami in Coral Gables this Monday, 17 September. The event, organized by the University's Center for Hemispheric Policy, begins at 4:30pm at the Hyatt Regency Hotel, 50 Alhambra Plaza. The fee is US$30 for the general public and free for UM academics and students with valid ID. To attend, contact Isabel.artime@miami.edu or call 305 284-9918 for more information.
The President's trip also coincides with 15th Annual Dominican Week, organized by the Russin, Vecchi & Heredia Bonetti law firm. President Fernandez is on the program of events for that activity, which seeks to strengthen relations between the US and the DR.
The President's agenda continues with a Tuesday, 18 September 8:30am to 9:45am address on competitiveness and free trade at the US Chamber of Commerce in Washington, D.C. The event is part of a series of activities for the American Chambers of Commerce in Latin America (AACCLA)'s Annual Meeting/Businessmen and Policy makers from the Western Hemisphere.
See Event Detail
On Wednesday, 19 September, the President will be a speaker in the Washington, D.C. "Report Card on Education in Central America and the Dominican Republic" breakfast discussion organized by Inter-American Dialogue. The event will take place from 9:30am to 11am, at the Rayburn House Office Building B-318. This is part of a Partnership for Educational Revitalization in the Americas program in coordination with the Global Foundation for Democracy Development (GFDD). The event is by invitation only.
Later on the 19th, the President will be in New York City to attend the 2007 World Leadership Awards fundraising gala that will showcase world leaders who are being singled out for their contributions to improving lives in their regions at Guastavino's in New York City. President Fernandez is being honored by Counterpart International, in association with its Caribbean Media Exchange on Sustainable Tourism (CMEx), for "championing the cause of the needy and underprivileged."
On Thursday, 20 September, in New York City, President Fernandez is scheduled to participate in the opening of the Ministry of Industry & Commerce office in New York and meet with Dominicans studying on government-sponsored university scholarships in New York City.
On Thursday, 20 September, in New York City, President Fernandez will speak to an audience of investors and financial sector representatives on business and investment opportunities in the DR at the New York Yacht Club, 37 West 44th St (7:30-9:30pm), as part of Dominican Week activities.
Also on his agenda is a meeting on Friday, 21 September at Hunts Point Economic Development Corporation.
On Saturday 22 September, he will take part in an event highlighting the availability of bonds for housing in the DR for hundreds of New York-based Dominican families.
On Sunday, 23 September he is due to pitch the first ball at the New York Yankees vs. Blue Jays Toronto game at the Yankee Stadium.
He then travels to Boston on Sunday, where on the next day, 24 September he will be speaking at Harvard University.
On Tuesday, 25 September, he will be attending a breakfast meeting hosted by the United Nations Secretary General and meeting with visiting statesmen in NY for the UN 62nd General Assembly.
On Wednesday, 26 September, he will be a guest speaker at Columbia University in NY.
On Thursday, 27 September he will speak at the 62nd UN General Assembly.
He is also scheduled to attend a workshop organized by the Clinton Foundation.
Traveling with the President are First Lady Margarita Cedeno and Foreign Minister Carlos Morales Troncoso, Administrative Minister Luis Manuel Bonetti; Economy Minister Temistocles Montas, press secretary Rafael Nunez, and CEI-RD director Eddy Martinez, among others.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Thank you for posting the add on Harvard. Does anyone have the announcement for the talk at Columbia University?

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
Leonel at Georgetown

Since I'm currently a grad student at Georgetown University I was able to attend Leonel's presentation at G-town on Tuesday 9/18. Well he was 30 mins late! (surprise surprise);)--I think he was still running on Dominican time. The speech itself was rather dry and topic of concern was "democracy" in Latin America. I wasn't able to stay for the Q&A, but the speech was definitely "pro-American" and catering to an American crowd. Nothing too juicy or controversial was discussed.

--Exxtol

yori85

Aug 2, 2007
Also part of his visit to Harvard University is a luncheon (by invitation only) and hopefully we'll be able to ask juicier questions. Will keep all of you posted!

yori85

Aug 2, 2007
Here's my 2 cents.

Luncheon:

Because it was a small group of people, President Fernandez was able to meet everyone, i.e. shake hands and a little small talk. After lunch, he spoke for about 20 minutes. Topics included: the effect his time in a multicultural school in nyc had on him, how he got into politics, a little but about the struggles of his party (always losing), and about economic research he's done with Harvard to improve economic conditions in DR.

He then took some questions and of course he got the Haiti question and his reply approximately was that the DR is still a poor 3rd world country, there are still many Dominicans unable to access a lot of what they are entitled to, that in any country the immigrant population will receive lower wages (Mexicans in the US, Dominicans in PR), that he is the first Dominican president (after Trujillo) to visit Haiti and has a good relationship with current Haitian president, that he knows there are problems and they are trying. He stayed a little while after with members of the Harvard Haitian Alliance which I thought was pretty cool.

Lecture:
He talked about DR's history and economic development, how democracy has traditionally been associated with economic decline, 10 points to bridge the divide between the market and the state for countries (specifically Lat. Am. "leftist" countries) while using democracy. He also talked about the importance of negotiating when it came to CAFTA and other treaties, he also talked about trying to catalog all Dominicans across the globe in order to find out what they can do for the country and then try to use them (this response was about the brain drain concern and he mentioned getting help from a Dominican MTA official for help with the Sto. Dgo. subway). He also said that the increase in drug trafficking was a result of the US lack of Coast Guard surveillance because of the situation in Iraq; since drugs are connected to terrorism (i guess) he says that losing the war on drugs can mean losing the war on terror. A lot of the drugs from Columbia is staying in the country because they are better at keeping it from leaving the country/entering the states.

This is all I can recall at the moment. I had a pretty good time and thought many of his responses were pretty well thought. I didn't get a chance to ask about corruption but I am sure I would have gotten a "we know and we are trying to stop" response. I didn't like his focus on using only island born Dominicans as a resource; as a Dominican-American I am much more interested in using my knowledge for DR than for the US (DR needs > US needs imo). But I am sure they will take what they can get. I got the feeling they were confident about elections in 2008 but I would be too if my administration was synonymous with economic stability and growth.