Armed robbery at airport parking lot

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
So now they don't rob you at customs they do it with a pistol . Friend of mine got robbed at 4:30 Pm Thurs nite at Santo Domingo Airport. Standing their waiting for her ride with 2 check-in bags and one overhead she was robbed of her handbag by gunman.

Gone: passport, cedula, wallet with $450.00, (2) cell phones (one a NY programmed and one for resale) digital camera 3 years old and one small religious medal and chain which she put in handbag for 'safe keepin'. Also taken were dozens of photos she had taken of her sister and child who visited in NY from Madrid and she had not seen in 2 years.

Not ALL Dominicans are smiling and singing in SD in spite of what some might think.

A

apostropheman

incredible! what a horrible thing to happen.

can you tell us a bit more please, like were she was waiting?

i fly into SDQ many times a year and find this quite alarming.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The airport is buzzing all the time with people.
She must have been way off the beaten track for this to happen.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
So now they don't rob you at customs they do it with a pistol . Friend of mine got robbed at 4:30 Pm Thurs nite at Santo Domingo Airport. Standing their waiting for her ride with 2 check-in bags and one overhead she was robbed of her handbag by gunman.

Gone: passport, cedula, wallet with $450.00, (2) cell phones (one a NY programmed and one for resale) digital camera 3 years old and one small religious medal and chain which she put in handbag for 'safe keepin'. Also taken were dozens of photos she had taken of her sister and child who visited in NY from Madrid and she had not seen in 2 years.

Not ALL Dominicans are smiling and singing in SD in spite of what some might think.
Sorry to hear about your friend.
Could you clear up the time, please?
Was it 4:30 PM in the afternoon in broad daylight, or 4:30 AM?
Did they take just her handbag?
Was she standing right at the exit where all the taxis are, or somewhere else?

Beanie11

Aug 30, 2007
What does it matter where she was standing? The fact of the matter is, she was robbed by a gunman!
So sorry to hear about this ordeal!

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
What does it matter where she was standing? The fact of the matter is, she was robbed by a gunman!
It matters to those who might be traveling through SDQ airport.
If it can happen in broad daylight in plain view of all to see, then the danger level is critical.
If it happens in the wee hours of the morning in an obscure dark location, then other members who read this will know to avoid taking those chances.
Matters of personal security are ultra important.

azabache

Apr 25, 2006

As for me, I would like as much information as possible to better protect myself and my loved ones.

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
It matters...if she arrived at 4 in the afternoon...the airport should have been packed and very unlikely anyone would have dared to show a gun in broad daylight...they are daring, but NOT THAT DARING!!!

Police is all over the place also at that time...

Now, if it was in the early morning hours, or if she was standing apart from everyone else...in a far corner...or even already across the street in the parking area...then it's a different story...

Sad, but different story according to the circumstances...

Sorry to hear about this ordeal also...

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
It matters to those who might be traveling through SDQ airport.
If it can happen in broad daylight in plain view of all to see, then the danger level is critical.
If it happens in the wee hours of the morning in an obscure dark location, then other members who read this will know to avoid taking those chances.
Matters of personal security are ultra important.

Spot on!

It makes all the difference in the world to someone who uses that airport to know the exact location and circumstance in detail.

I was picking up a friend at SDQ about a year ago around 3 PM and we were followed by two cops in the parking lot. I was parked near the far northeast side of the lot. They started following us when we were about halfway across the lot. When we got to my car they stayed about 30 feet away and were not at all threatening.

I went and talked to them. They were friendly and said they were just making sure nobody bothered us since there had been some robberies. They didn't ask for money and were very courteous and professional. I was pleasantly shocked.

Policia Nacional!!!!

johne thanks for the post and glad it didn't turn into a tragedy. If you can get more detail from your friend it matters to us.

It sounds from your post that she was right outside the terminal by the taxis. Is that correct?

You stated 4:30 PM Thursday 'night'. Is that the afternoon?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
more info

she left on the 12:30pm flight from JFK. Arrived about 3:30PM to Santo Domingo. Somewhat messed up with the amount of luggage she had-(2) 50# pcs of luggage on wheels plus overhead on wheels. Handbag over her shoulder. After lugguage pick-up and immigration I suspect it was about 4:30pm. Robbed right outside in parking area.

Filed police report same nite. Used police report yesterday to get new passporte that she expects on Tues. next week. Got new cedula same day.

Savy girl. Not tourist. Expected back in NYC early Oct. and cant wait to get back.

A

apostropheman

thank you johne,

so it happened in the parking lot away from the crowds waiting for the taxis, etc...

not great but better than right at the sidewalk by the entrance...that would be too much.

glad to hear your friend is alright. too bad about her possessions but at least she is safe.

thanks for passing the warning along.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
The (2) pcs. where brand new bright red. I guess part of a tip-off. She was alone. Straight off a flight from NYC. Not good signs all around. BUT-Dominican and knows the crime deal. Didnt matter because these druggies dont give a damm for nada.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
The (2) pcs. where brand new bright red. I guess part of a tip-off. She was alone. Straight off a flight from NYC. Not good signs all around. BUT-Dominican and knows the crime deal. Didnt matter because these druggies dont give a damm for nada.
They are emboldened when stoned, and desperate to get money for more, when they are not.
This crack craze is a huge problem.
Thank goodness your friend wasn't hurt, because these low life druggies are capable of anything.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Two questions

1 - Why would someone wait in the parking lot to be picked up at the airport?

2 - How do we know the thieves were "druggies" on crack?

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
1 - Why would someone wait in the parking lot to be picked up at the airport?

2 - How do we know the thieves were "druggies" on crack?
We don't know that they were crack addicts.
We're guessing.
This type of bold crime is usually committed by the druggies, but I accept that we have no proof, and it might have been some of the members of the Vienna choirboys, lol.
Just kidding.
It's just an educated guess.
As for being in the parking lot to meet someone, as it's so darn difficult to pull over elsewhere to pick passengers up, it's quite understandable, specially in broad daylight.
Had she done this at 4 am, we would have been questioning the wisdom of such a move.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
As for being in the parking lot to meet someone, as it's so darn difficult to pull over elsewhere to pick passengers up, it's quite understandable, specially in broad daylight.
Had she done this at 4 am, we would have been questioning the wisdom of such a move.

SDQ airport is generally not that busy to be picked up at arrivals especially when traveling with a lot of luggage. I am just trying to understand why someone would be in a remote area of the parking lot with that amount of luggage.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
NOT in remote part of airport

SDQ airport is generally not that busy to be picked up at arrivals especially when traveling with a lot of luggage. I am just trying to understand why someone would be in a remote area of the parking lot with that amount of luggage.[/quote

The airport(JFk) was very busy.Tons of kids (returning to school in SD?). Long lines for the 12:30 flight to SD and I suppose for the flights to Santiago.Waited on line at JFK to check bags one hour.

Was not in remote part of airport at all.
Straight out the main entranance to the lot across from the taxi drivers. I have had my luggage loaded into my taxi there 3 dozen times. My usual way is to meet my driver, who parks there, in the terminal. After I arrive he goes with me and luggage to parked car. Simple. She, on the other had didn't have someone in the terminal. Called to have family friend pick her up
and said she would wait in that area as airport entrance was extremly crowded.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Was not in remote part of airport at all.
Straight out the main entranance to the lot across from the taxi drivers. I have had my luggage loaded into my taxi there 3 dozen times.

I know exactly where you are talking about.

Thanks for the clarification. With the amount of people around you would think someone could have screamed Policia before they could have exited the airport facility.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
We don't know that they were crack addicts.
We're guessing.
This type of bold crime is usually committed by the druggies, but I accept that we have no proof, and it might have been some of the members of the Vienna choirboys, lol.
Just kidding.
It's just an educated guess.
If he was white, had pimples and was wearing a name tag that read something like "Elder Zack" or "Elder Freddy" he could have been a missionary gone bad.

Feb 7, 2007
A friend's friend's daughter got back from Spain this Tuesday. She took a cab from SDQ to Villa Duarte, East Santo Domingo. She was being followed by 2 motorcycles men. She didn't notice. When she got off the cab in Villa Duarte she was robbed at gunpoint. At broad daylight, 2pm. Lost is the passport, money and other things. Only then she realized that one of the guys she had seen him at the airport.