ANOTHER Sosua Undercover Policia Story

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Since the Sosua Policia has taken some bad rap here in another post, I feel compelled to bring a little "Fair and Balanced" reporting on the subject.

A couple months back I was in the discos with a friend. At closing time my friend disappeared, he wasn’t where he was supposed to be as we had earlier agreed to. To make matters worse I had had too much to drink, and had taken some medicine that I think was reacting to the alchohol in an adverse manner. (splitting headache plus other symptoms)

Anyways, walking up and down Pedro Clisante, P.O.’d at my friend, looking angry & not very happy, (I’m a big angry looking guy to begin with) the crowds have cleared out quickly as it does at closing time, I’m pacing up and down an almost empty street when out of the shadows comes a guy, plain clothes….

He says, “Is everything ok?” I say “Sure, just fine”. He asks again to make sure. I ask him if he was Policia (he had that Cop look). He said yes, and said that he was just concerned, it looked like I "had a problem". I explained I was looking for my friend who had “disappeared, probably with some cute chica” We both had a laugh at that, I thanked him for his concern and we went our separate ways.

Just a good cop doing his job. Hats off to the Sosua PD

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it….

ctRob

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I guess it's easy to forget that there are some good guys out there, when all we ever talk about is the bad ones.
I too have met some good helpful cops here.

Capt. Rob57

Mar 22, 2006
After all the years I have visted and now lived here in the D.R. I have never had one bad experience with the police. Maybe lucky or just stay away from areas where I know trouble can be found. Have always found them to be helpful when I need them. Never have given them a tip. When I went to renew my boat registration I was so impressed with the kind service I came back with a bottle of wiskey and the Coronel was offended. He said that is the problem in this country people taking bribes, his job is to help. Great guy. We had a drink anyway. But i kept the bottle.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Hey, .......... come off it you guys - you are going to ruin our reputation of only being NEGATIVE on this board. Although I come up with the same experiences most times I chat with police, I DAREN'T mention it here for fear up upsetting Jackieboo's opinions about us all "sweeping things under the carpet", Not telling how it REALLY is", being so ultra 'Know it all' when really we never get out of the house &/or experience things!!

Forgive the brevity, just got to pop across the road now to take the lads (4 police resting during their break) a couple of 'cold ones' to relieve their stress of a hard mornings work! ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
While Bushbaby is keeping our local patrol in Presidentes I must tell you that we have police sleeping outside our house each night :laugh:. Literally - they pull up in their jeepetas to the unfinished house across the road and...........skive. But they're always there if needed. Two lots with a shift change at 2 am mas o menos. The only night when they deserted us was when we had some of the President's personal security patrol who were accompanying Motorcycler to supper. When our police saw those vehicles outside our house they took off faster than you would believe. :laugh:

Thank you for your story ctrob. It's like that in Puerto Plata, too, well it is in my experience.

Out of interest, when our 'sleeping patrol' is outside our house at night they always leave their radios on so you get to hear what's going down where. Presumably so that one of us can go & wake them up if it's something really important.

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
DR police rules!

A couple of days ago I was parking my truck under "NO PARK" sign a bit further down from Baily`s. When I was about to leave the jeepeta a cop approached me saying that parking is not allowed, so I moved on.

I was so much pleasantly shocked!! This kind of action just cannot be imagined in one...eeee... "very democratic " country a bit North, where cops hide behind corners and doors waiting in hope that you leave your car in no parking area even for 15 seconds to issue $120 ticket ASAP!!

Let the DR does not become a "developed" and "democratic" country as long as possible, if "development" means that instead of PREVENTING a violation or crime cops will ENCOURAGE it (or even PROVOKE like in sting operations) looking for your money only and really not much caring about public order..

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
A couple of days ago I was parking my truck under "NO PARK" sign a bit further down from Baily`s. When I was about to leave the jeepeta a cop approached me saying that parking is not allowed, so I moved on.

I was so much pleasantly shocked!! This kind of action just cannot be imagined in one...eeee... "very democratic " country a bit North, where cops hide behind corners and doors waiting in hope that you leave your car in no parking area even for 15 seconds to issue $120 ticket ASAP!!

Let the DR does not become a "developed" and "democratic" country as long as possible, if "development" means that instead of PREVENTING a violation or crime cops will ENCOURAGE it (or even PROVOKE like in sting operations) looking for your money only and really not much caring about public order..

I stopped my car in exactly the same place not soon after I arrived to live in DR and was approached a PC who was telling me I could not park there - in broken Spaglish I explained that I was collecting a television and heavy computer equipment from the shop behind Bailey's and he stood and kept an eye on my car for me whilst my collection was loaded - a good experience for me.... would never have happened in England with a traffic warden I don't think.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Not to say that people haven't had problems - but I have been stopped on the carreterra near the Coastal petrol station on several occasions and politely asked if everything is ok. No documents were requested and everything was very civilised. Also on the way to Santo Domingo when we stopped for a break to stretch our legs and have a cup of coffee from the flask, a police car stopped and reversed back along the highway to see if we needed assistance - with no unpleasantness or other agendas - they are not all bad as some would suggest!

papinice88

Jul 20, 2007
I do not know but all my experience with the DR finest been positive they have ask me for a hand out in Santiago and i have told the Sargent that ask for the bribe that in NYC they ask for a hand out like he just did he would be charge with official misconduct he just said to me u look like a general in NY and said good bye

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
Here they act like normal human beings. Not obsessed with demonstrating their superiority and power over the sheepish crowd of mortals.

Women and cops - these two things are more than enough to love this Island with the whole heart disregarding any daily small inconveniences.

Freedom. Sweet freedom.

sues36

Aug 20, 2007
I stopped my car in exactly the same place not soon after I arrived to live in DR and was approached a PC who was telling me I could not park there - in broken Spaglish I explained that I was collecting a television and heavy computer equipment from the shop behind Bailey's and he stood and kept an eye on my car for me whilst my collection was loaded - a good experience for me.... would never have happened in England with a traffic warden I don't think.

whirelybird after reading this post I have to disagree.....this would have happened this way in the UK :)

Well ok it may have been slightly different....maybe it would have happened like this....
Driver parks the car and a traffic warden (TW) approaches telling him "you cant park here". "Im just collecting some PC equipment and a TV" says the driver. "Ok" says the TW "ill help you get the pc then watch the car till you bring the TV back" . Off the two go and get the PC. Driver leaves TW with car and PC to go get TV. Driver comes back and think "hmmm must have parked somewhere else" and goes looking. Outcome of the story....driver doest get a ticket but he no longer has a pc or a car!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
whirelybird after reading this post I have to disagree.....this would have happened this way in the UK :)

Well ok it may have been slightly different....maybe it would have happened like this....
Driver parks the car and a traffic warden (TW) approaches telling him "you cant park here". "Im just collecting some PC equipment and a TV" says the driver. "Ok" says the TW "ill help you get the pc then watch the car till you bring the TV back" . Off the two go and get the PC. Driver leaves TW with car and PC to go get TV. Driver comes back and think "hmmm must have parked somewhere else" and goes looking. Outcome of the story....driver doest get a ticket but he no longer has a pc or a car!

Sue, you must have know the same traffic warden I did!!!! :bunny::bunny: