Internet / apagones

gini

Dec 12, 2005
Maybe a stupid question but during "apagones", if you use a laptop (with a charged battery of course) and a DSL modem powered by a battery or other mean (inverter or planta or...) do you get connection to the Internet ?

Thx

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Maybe a stupid question but during "apagones", if you use a laptop (with a charged battery of course) and a DSL modem powered by a battery or other mean (inverter or planta or...) do you get connection to the Internet ?

Thx
Yes.
We al do it.
If not, this country would come to a stall each time the power went out.
Almost everyone will have a UPS to carry the router until the alternate power source comes on.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
And if you use only a power inverter/charger to back up more than just your modem, the DSL modem may reset when the power goes off (or on) due to the switching time of the inverter. When I had the wire connected to my internet replaced by a technician, we swapped the DSL modem as well to one that is not prone to switch off and back on during those transitions (the power supply has a little "hold time".) I don't have need for a UPS because the modem doesn't reset when the power changes. And with a laptop, you already have a battery to hold you during those times as you mentioned.
You were lucky to get that model with the AC adapter with a capacitor.
The DC units we usually get, sometimes shut down, even with the UPS' we have, as they are not true UPS', and do have a switching time, which is not always fast enough.
I'd love to have one like yours.
They're great.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Another thorn with the "apagones" is if you get a LinkSys Router, they are very prone to drop outs in switching over. I finally switched to a Tripp Lite pure sine wave continuous UPS. Now everything stays up.

I must have one of those good modems Rocky, had no problems with mine prior to the sine wave UPS, it is a Siemens SpeedStream 4200 model (Has A/C Adapter).

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Another thorn with the "apagones" is if you get a LinkSys Router, they are very prone to drop outs in switching over. I finally switched to a Tripp Lite pure sine wave continuous UPS. Now everything stays up.

I must have one of those good modems Rocky, had no problems with mine prior to the sine wave UPS, it is a Siemens SpeedStream 4200 model (Has A/C Adapter).
That Tripp Lite unit solves all the problems.
I wish I had one of those too.
I use the cheapo "supposed" UPS units made by Omega.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I use the cheapo "supposed" UPS units made by Omega.
yeah, like the rest of us on the island... ;)

(I am getting ripped off by Luz&Fuerza, but at least I don't have to suffer those apagones...)

Feb 7, 2007
I must have one of those good modems ... Siemens SpeedStream 4200 model (Has A/C Adapter).

I have the same ADSL modem and I cannot say the same.

It resets itself everytime there is a switch from inversor/power and power/inversor and many times also when the voltage drops beyind certain levvel or gets surge, when on street power.

happened through 2 different inversors, so it;s not an inversor issue.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I have the same ADSL modem and I cannot say the same.

It resets itself everytime there is a switch from inversor/power and power/inversor and many times also when the voltage drops beyind certain levvel or gets surge, when on street power.

happened through 2 different inversors, so it;s not an inversor issue.
Does it have an AC adaptor?
If so, it could be that the capacitor is burnt out.

Gossette Ortiz

Oct 17, 2007
If you have internet you should. I dont have internet at home and when i take my labtop home i connect with other peoples line my labtop picks it up so i dont see why you should have a problem.