xoom caribe express warning

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
friday i send my sister in law 1k using xoom, to be picked up at caribe express. 1 hour later e-mail tells me money is ready for pick-up. saturday she goes to caribe express herrera office and is told no money is there for her, she waits 1 hour and then is told she has to wait 5 days. i call customer service who assure me the money is there. sister in law has the secret code and her cedula. sunday closed. monday morning she returns to caribe express and is told "no money". i call customer service and they tell me the money is there and that they have e-mailed the herrera office and told them to release the money. it is now monday afternoon and she has not yet gotten the money. xoom, caribe express, are partners with banco progresso. you have been warned. i would post this in the sending money thread but this is happening now, still not resolved, and i want to warn as many readers as possible............perhaps the manager is using the money for his own profit, gambling on the exchange rate maybe, while delaying this transfer........

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
Happened to me sometimes, call Hemisferio 809534-8668 ext 255. This is the department of Operations they are in charge of the transactions not Caribe tours Express. What also worked write a mail on the XOOM Website they resolved it in two hours.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I once used Caribe Express to send money to Chirimoya for a charitable effort in SD to which I wished to donate. Not only did it clear quickly but they delivered it to her home! We were both very surprised.

On reflection my self description as a little old lady with arthritis who didn't want to stand in line too long (!) plus the provision of Chiri's address could have been taken to mean that she was the little old lady who couldn't hobble to the Caribe Express office to collect.............:)

AK74

On Vacation!
Jun 18, 2007
I once used Caribe Express to send money to Chirimoya for a charitable effort in SD to which I wished to donate. Not only did it clear quickly but they delivered it to her home! We were both very surprised.

On reflection my self description as a little old lady with arthritis who didn't want to stand in line too long (!) plus the provision of Chiri's address could have been taken to mean that she was the little old lady who couldn't hobble to the Caribe Express office to collect.............:)

For the same charitable case I sent to her (actually to the farther of the girl) by wire transfer , and it also went through very well.
Hopefully the princess gets well soon after medical help in NY.

Feb 7, 2007
XOOM works with Caribe Express. Hemisferio is no longer in business was eaten up by Caribe Express. (Xoom used to work with Hemisferio). If Hemisferio still operates, it's only as a unit of Caribe Express.

I know Xoom well, and never had problems. The issue with Xoom and CE is that all transactions pass through central office, and regardless of what location you "send" the money to, it always gets routed to the LAST location where you pciked up the money. If you pick up in PP and then you specify you wnat to send to Santiago, it still will end up in PP.

If the message says "AVAILABLE FOR PICK UP", trust me, the money IS somewhere in caribex system.

You need to call Caribe Express main office, (809) 412-7506, ask for "envios" and tell them you are awaiting XOOM transfer. They know XOOM well. They will ask for the recipient's phone number. Tell them the same number you put as recipients phone on the transfer with xoom, and they will look it up. Also have the transfer date available (date when it says Available for Pickup). They download the files from Xoom every two hours.

If the result by phone number and by name, both result in No match, call Xoom. They may need to resend the file to them.

Feb 7, 2007
XOOM - http://www.xoom.com - is an inexpensive Money transfer service, a strong competitor to Western Union and Moneygram.

Caribe Express (not Caribe Tours) is their local payout agent in the DR.

Feb 7, 2007
One thing everyone has to remember with Caribe Express - they are not same as Western Union that you can pick up at any location, with the transfer number and even just your name.

Caribe Express does not use transfer control numbers, and any transfers are referred to first by phone number, then by name, and can be picked up ONLY AT THE LOCATION where it was SENT to. If there are various locations within the same zone, usually they can be picked up at any location therein.

For example, Santo Domingo has these locations for Caribe Express:

- La Principal (Av. Leopoldo Navarro esq. 27 de Febrero)
- Santo Domingo (centro)
- Santo Domingo Este
- Santo Domingo Oeste
- Santo Domingo Norte/Villa Mella

So if your recipient lives in Herrera, and it gets routed to La Principal, in Herrera they DO NOT SEE the money. They have to phone La Principal to inquire and then "push" the money over to them.

So whenever somebody says they do not see the transfer, ask them to call La Principal if the transfer comes from abroad. If it is the DR transfer, they do not pass via La Principal, so you nee dto phone the sending location.

On the other hand, with WU, you pick up anywhere, with just a control number.

That is CE's disadvantage for being cheaper service.

Hope this info is helpful.

jester420

Jun 21, 2007
I had a similar problem with xoom

I sent my fiance money via xoom for delivery to our home in Villa Marbon and was told it was out for delivery on the second day. After several phone calls to xooms customer service and an additional 5 days she was called by Caribe Express and told the money was waiting for her to pickup. She told them it was sent for home delivery and they told her was sent for pickup only. This was after xoom wouldn't let me change the disbursement method from delivery to pickup. Their customer service is poor and uninformed. Not worth the savings over Western Union in my opinion.

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
Took me 5 days and a lot of calls to the Xoom helpdesk's in the USA and a number in the DR (were "no se" was the standard answer).
Only when i filed an official complaint at Paypal, somebody suddenly woke up at Xoom.

The Xoom tracking number has no value at all. Suddenly your phonenumber is your tracking number or was it the phonenumber from the clint or my voip number or not, nobody could tell me anything.
If the receiver in the DR has no time (horita, manana, llame in 3 dias) you can just wait and call again and again.

The message "your money is ready for pick-up" on the Xoom Site is for the xoom receiver in SD that he can pick up the money.
This receiver, when he has time, makes a cheque for Caribe Express
And Caribe Express will pay this cheque.

During the 5 days after the "your money is ready for pick up" i went through the 3 Caribe Express offices in San Pedro and through the main in Santo Domingo, but everything got stuck by the xoom receiver in SD.
Caribe Express did a great service during those 5 days, calling, asking questions, but the xoom receiver was "busy and had no time"
Not even just to see if the money disappeared somewhere.
The Xoom helpdesk can not trace the tracking number and i got stuck with several operators who all started everytime with the same stupid questions .

I got finally the money, but never again, if something goes wrong , you are lost !
If you need money fast, don't count on it, it will come between horita and manana

Xoom NEVER reacted on the emails and phone complains, only when they were loosing their Paypal account they had suddenly time to react/respond.

The idea is good, it just is not trustworthy, specially that unstable step in SD, but if nothing goes wrong, who cares.

A.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I send money several times a month with Xoom and hardly ever have any issues. The only times I've had some issues was a case where I sent money to my niece and she had changed her cell phone number, so they didn't release it to the Cotui office. Another time they sent the money to Las Matas de Farfan instead of Villa La Mata as I had specified. Either case was resolved quickly by calling Caribe Express' main number.

Xoom's customer service is another matter as someone already mentioned. Never, ever try to change the form of disbursement. If you made a mistake on how you wanted the money disbursed just tell the person you sent it to and live with it, because otherwise you'll have many issues to get the money. One time I sent money to my grandpa, like I do every month, but I selected for Pickup instead of delivery. I realized my mistake after the transaction processed and they wouldn't let me change the delivery method. I then made the mistake of canceling that transaction and sending another one for home delivery. Long story short it wasn't until until a month later and after many, many phone calls, and filling an official complaint with Paypal that I finally got my money back for the canceled transaction.

Moral of the story I still use them and they work great 99% of the time. Just make sure all the info you enter is correct...check it twice before you hit that pay button.

Feb 7, 2007
You can chnage the form of disbursement pickup/delivery directly with caribe express. Once it hits the CE network, it's the same as with any CE transfer.
just call the respective office that does delivery (to change to pickup) or call the office where money is waiting for pickup to ask for delivery.

Usually not an issue at all.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
You can chnage the form of disbursement pickup/delivery directly with caribe express. Once it hits the CE network, it's the same as with any CE transfer.
just call the respective office that does delivery (to change to pickup) or call the office where money is waiting for pickup to ask for delivery.

Usually not an issue at all.

Maybe...never tried it that way. I know I wouldn't change it by calling Xoom...

Estrella1

Jan 13, 2006
Caribe Express

It is now years that I receive my money through Caribe Express in Puerto Plata and until now never had any problem. They are nice people, they usually call me once the money arrives and it just takes one hour or so for the transfer. It is also much cheaper than WU. It is true that I always go to the same office and now they know me.
I have also to say that on last Tuesday I went to change money with friends close to the Brugal factory and they exchanged the euro at 44 pesos. On the same day I checked at Caribe Express and they changed the euro at 45.50!! This is a big difference!

fperalta

Aug 3, 2008
My bad experience with zoom.

I also sent some money to my sister in Santo Domingo using Zoom. I got the email from them telling me the money was to be delivered but it didn't happen and, after 3 days, my sister call Caribe Express and they said "no money was there" for her. Then I called Zoom and they told me I have to way till next week. I got upset and told them I wanted my money back in my account. The customer service lady told me I have to wait 5 to 10 business days for the money to be deposited back. I don't understand why I have to way so long since they took the money from me right at the moment when I made the transaction in the biggining. I didn't tell them they have to way for my bank to pay them. Please, be aware, don't use Zoom!!!!!!!!

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Xoom is the best

Xoom is fantastic but you have to have the right person behind the counter.
Like any business anywhere, it is the people!

I use them 3 times a month , every month.
there are never delays and usually 1-2 hours delivered to my door by Caribe Express !
A few tips ,
Don't send 2500$ send $2499
Don't send 2000$ send $1999
Actually if you are sending 900$ it is only 8 or 9$ more for 2499$

You save to bring more at one time.

It is instant, faster than the banks and never send PESOS , Always send Dollars.
The exchange from Cash is much better even though the fee is higher.

We are in the second phase of building and they are invaluable ! Great service, Smiles, prompt and exact.

there is no better service that I can find.

Oh and when you tip, they remember where you live !

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I?m a bit puzzled with what I hear about these money transfer problems. My wife regularly sends money from here Las Terrenas to her Mother in Consuelo. All she does is walk into the local branch of BanReserva pay in the money to Motherś account and its there within a couple of hours. No problems, no charges and that?s the story over v18 months.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Other tips for a good experience with Xoom (I use them all the time). Do not use the cheapes option (have the money discounted from your bank account) if you need your money right away. This option takes about 1 week for the person to get the money. Pay with either Paypal or credit card and your money is there instantly.

Make sure the person you're sending to has a valid, reachable phone number otherwise your money will be held up as they try a couple of times to get in touch with the person and if not available then it will just sit there.