Gua Guas?

lesliesue

Sep 3, 2007
We're staying at the Grand Paradise Bavaro in December. We're considering a day trip (maybe only a couple hours) to Higuey and had the following logistical questions:

1. Do gua-guas travel the road from the resort to the little town area where there's the public bus to Higuey? (And what is the name of that little town -- Cortecita?) When we stayed in the resort area near Puerta Plata, we took the gua-guas into town so no problem with the concept--in fact we enjoyed the adventure. We also speak basic Spanish. If there are gua-guas, do they run all day? How much? Do the buses run fairly frequently from the little town to Higuey?

2. If we don't go by public transportation, any sense of how much a taxi would cost?

Thanks in advance for your help...this is my first post on this forum so forgive me if I've made any etiquette breaches.

LeslieSue

Feb 7, 2007
You would take guagua to the Bavaro bus terminal (Friusa). and from there either a regular or express buss to Higuey (90 pesos). The buses should leave every 20-30 minutes, and from Friusa they leave every 15 minutes, and express busses with AC leave on the hour.

Taxi costs about 1000 pesos, if you negotiate hard. Taxis from Bavaro are expensive. If the driver is stubborn, you may end up paying 1500 pesos.

Taxi from Higuey would cost you 1000 pesos without negotiation.

lesliesue

Sep 3, 2007
Thanks Rubio. So it sounds like we would be able to get a guagua from the road in front of our hotel. With the buses from Fruisa running so frequently, seems like the little adventure should be easy. Muchas gracias!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
it is easy and you will have fun.
for your way back, in case you are somewhere in higuey and loose the direction for the bus station to Bavaro, take a motoconcho, for 1 dollar a piece they bring you to the bus station "Guagua Bavaro". here are leaving 3 different rutes:
* Punta Cana, don't take that, the bus goes to th airport area
* Cabeza de Toro, don't take it, that beach is half way between your hotel and the airport
* Bavaro/Friusa, that's your ticket back
i don't know how close the buses pass to your hotel when coming back from higuey, but from the Friusa area a cabby costs you just $15.- and you're done.
have fun
Mike