new law

chica_dominicana

Jul 6, 2006
Hi
I just returned from Dominican Republic and I heard some rumours that there is a new law that says not to speak, or write bad about the Dominican Republic. I can not find anything about this law on the internet but I heard people talking about it and that people from outside the country who live there are very worried.

Who knows more?

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
What is the big worry tho? What government will like for anyone to speak bad about the country? Also, if you speak bad about the Dominican Republic in front of me, I get highly offended too!

SamanaJon

Jun 20, 2007
New law??

...beginning to sound like Iran. I cannot believe that is true. If so, I am out of here...

Anyone???

Think they we "pulling your leg"..:ninja:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
...beginning to sound like Iran. I cannot believe that is true. If so, I am out of here...

Anyone???

Think they we "pulling your leg"..:ninja:
It's not a new law.
That was the Hippo's doing when he was in power.
He made it a criminal offense to speak badly of any government official.
That was his feeble attempt at stopping everyone from saying that he was a big useless low class giant turd.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
It's not a new law.
That was the Hippo's doing when he was in power.
He made it a criminal offense to speak badly of any government official.
That was his feeble attempt at stopping everyone from saying that he was a big useless low class giant turd.

heheheh I like that description of Hipolito. :cool:

chica_dominicana

Jul 6, 2006
What is the big worry tho? What government will like for anyone to speak bad about the country? Also, if you speak bad about the Dominican Republic in front of me, I get highly offended too!

Please do not misunderstood me, I love the country and come there several times a year (and not in an AI) and have a lot of friends over there.

But I can not say that I agree with all the things they do and I also disagree with some things that goverment pretend to be good for the country.
With crime and prices going up, it got less interesting for tourists to spend their vacation in DR.

Talldrink

El Mujeron
Jan 7, 2004
No worries Chica... but what did you mean when people say they are 'worried' though? Is it something like what Samana Joe is saying, the end of free speech or something? Tell me more...

chica_dominicana

Jul 6, 2006
I am not sure what exactly they mean, that is why I was asking if anybody else have heard of it.
People from Europe, Canada and US who live there are also worried about it. Policy is checking on them all times if they follow the laws stricktly and if not they have to pay a huge fee.

Feb 7, 2007
chica_dominicana;555151People from Europe said:
First of all, everybody should obey the laws of the country they live in.

But other than that, the information given it seems a bit strange to me. We are all expats here and I don't think anyone has such experience, to be constantly checked upon and if not to pay huge fees... ???

Let's be frank, who of us doesn't run occasional red light at night at deserted intersection, who does not stay drinking few minutes past 12 midnight from time to time... Do you feel any harassment or pay huge fees for that? Not really...

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
This rumour is just that, a rumour.
Some poor shlub is bored to death and inventing stories to tell.
It's all a crock of shyte.
The only thing that ever happened along those lines was several yeas ago when a radio announcer in Monte Cristi I believe, ran a comedy routine comparing Hippo to the devil, and the Hippo Hipster had the fellow imprisoned for a few days.
That's it, that's all.