Entry & Exit tax

Joy-H

Jun 4, 2007
www.bebo.com
Our TA told us today that we only need to pay ?10 on entry to the DR but I have read to the contrary. Is anyone able to clarify on this matter. TIA

Joy

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Our TA told us today that we only need to pay ?10 on entry to the DR but I have read to the contrary. Is anyone able to clarify on this matter. TIA

Joy

$10 (US, and must be in dollars) for entry and $20 (US, and must be in dollars) to exit.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You pay to exit?? since when?

Long time now but on some tickets it is included.

Charters from Canada include the tourist card but we pay the 20 US on exit.

Speaking of tourist cards are they all for only 14 days now? Has anyone received one for longer?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
You pay to exit?? since when?

Most definitely, we certainly did when he just visited before we came to live here and were tourtists. No idea when it was begun but certainly from 2005. But perhaps it depends where you are flying back to - I am referring to the UK.

Last edited:

memphisj

Jul 17, 2007
So, if you will be staying in the country for more than 14 days, do you buy additional tourist cards? Just wondering because I will be in the Dominican Republic for around 30 days. J in Memphis

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006
So, if you will be staying in the country for more than 14 days, do you buy additional tourist cards? Just wondering because I will be in the Dominican Republic for around 30 days. J in Memphis
OVERSTAY 15 Days - 3 Months: $300 Pesos
3 Months - 9 Months: $500 Pesos
9 Months - 1 Year: $2000 Pesos
1 Year - 1.5 Years: $3500 Pesos
1.5 Years - 2 Years: $4500 Pesos
2 Years - 2.5 Years: $6000 Pesos
2.5 Years - 3 Years: $8000 Pesos
3-5 Years: $12000 Pesos
5 Years+: $15000 Pesos

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Those are the rates listed on the migracion.gov.do website.

But when we called we were told tourists are being allowed a 90 day stay with the tourist card entrance. So, when you arrive ask for the 90 days on your card. Let us know if this is not granted.

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
Those are the rates listed on the migracion.gov.do website.

But when we called we were told tourists are being allowed a 90 day stay with the tourist card entrance. So, when you arrive ask for the 90 days on your card. Let us know if this is not granted.

I was told you can go to the immegration office in Santo Domingo and request an extension on the tourist card to 90 days for an additional $5-10 (US). Of course, if you are not flying into Santo Domingo, this may not be an easy task.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
I was told at Migration that a 90 days stay can be authorized right there at the airport, with no need to pay the extra. We need someone to come through the airport and tell us their actual experience seeking a 90 days stay.

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
I was told at Migration that a 90 days stay can be authorized right there at the airport, with no need to pay the extra. We need someone to come through the airport and tell us their actual experience seeking a 90 days stay.

That may be the case... I just know for a fact, if it cannot be done at the airport, it can be done at the immigration office in S.D. If someone were to go to the office, I was told it closes at 2:30PM.

I will be going through the airport next week, if we do not get any responses from anyone else, I will share my experience as to if it can be done at the airport or not. I sure hope so...that would save a lot of time!! :cheeky:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Por si no lo sabias.......

Somewhat related to the topic:

Dominicans who became US citizens while living in the US do NOT need to pay the entry tax.

I know Dominicans that still do.

I have not paid it since I became a citizen and when the "Immigration Inspector" in the DR asks me why I don't have the "tarjeta de turista", I simply say "Dual Citizenship". Works for me.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Mejor dicho.....

Somewhat related to the topic:

Dominicans who became US citizens while living in the US do NOT need to pay the entry tax.

I know Dominicans that still do.

I have not paid it since I became a citizen and when the "Immigration Inspector" in the DR asks me why I don't have the "tarjeta de turista", I simply say "Dual Citizenship". Works for me.
Let me rephrase what I posted above:

MANY Dominicans think that AFTER they become US citizens, that they have to pay the entry tax. They don't have to. Only people born in the US do.

I know a few Dominicans (especially my aunt) that no matter how many times I tell them they don't need it, they just HAVE to make "THE LINE" to ask the question (and sometimes a 'ladron' from that little office sells it to them, knowing full well they don't need it). My aunt excuse is that she doesn't want to get in trouble. As if.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I was told you can go to the immegration office in Santo Domingo and request an extension on the tourist card to 90 days for an additional $5-10 (US). Of course, if you are not flying into Santo Domingo, this may not be an easy task.

Why would you want to do this since the "fine" for overstaying up to 90 days is only about $9 US (300RD). Seems like a no brainer. Enjoy your stay and just pay the fine when you leave.

Bob K

NYC_Girl

Apr 15, 2003
I just returned to NY from Santo Domingo and didn't realize that the tourist card was only good for 30 days. When I was exiting the man asked how long I stayed, I said 35 days he said I had to pay $10 for the tourist card. If I would have said 30 days I don't think he was going to sit there and count the days on my entrance stamp.
It wasn't until I went to pay did I see the sign listing the different prices for the extended stays. It's as Dominican Boy posted.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
where nobody complains they cash what ever they can.
a prior poster mentioned to get a permission/stamp aso for more than 30 days at the migration office in santo domingo, forget about that. they close 2:30PM, that's right. they have long lines to wait from the early beginning in the morning. you have to take more than one line to get all done. you would spend that day at migrations, from the las americas airport(St Dgo) you would need a expensive cab to go there, it is a minimum 30 minutes ride, so a $300 pesos fine IF they recognize that you overdid a tourist card for a few days, would be much cheaper than only the costs for a cab.
have fun
Mike