UPS or FedEx?

alloallo3

Jan 27, 2007
I've read a lot about shipping stuff to the DR, and about the unreliability of the Post Office. But I can't find anything about UPS. Can I ship stuff to the DR via UPS? Or FedEx, or something else?
Thanks

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I've read a lot about shipping stuff to the DR, and about the unreliability of the Post Office. But I can't find anything about UPS. Can I ship stuff to the DR via UPS? Or FedEx, or something else?
Thanks

You can use both for goods to the DR. Im surprised you havent contacted your local offices of both in the country you live in, then they would be able to give you much fuller correct info, plus costs etc. They have offices and delivery points all over the DR, so you would need to find out the nearest one for the destination point of your package/s from you own local UPS/Fedex offices

Janin

On Vacation....
Jul 31, 2007
From Where To Where

... They have offices and delivery points all over the DR...

No, they don't.
I remember that cheque books were sent to me by DHL.
After I found out where they ended up (they never called us), they wanted me to pick them up in Santo Domingo, 235 km from where we live...
The cheques were resent by registered mail (much cheaper) and we received them at the local post office.

So, it very much depends from where to where you want to send things.

Janin

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
No, they don't.
I remember that cheque books were sent to me by DHL.
After I found out where they ended up (they never called us), they wanted me to pick them up in Santo Domingo, 235 km from where we live...
The cheques were resent by registered mail (much cheaper) and we received them at the local post office.

So, it very much depends from where to where you want to send things.

Janin

Shes asking about UPS and FEDEX, DHL is a different company, have you lost your glasses again??

When Fedex quotes were too expensive, I contacted UPS in the UK whilst I was there, and they had a list of the various delivery offices all over the DR. They dont necessarily have their own offices in some areas, they will deliver to pick up points, such as this service is offered by SBS in Sosua

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
FedEX delivers packages right to our house.

A couple years ago I had a package being sent here and I called FedEx to tell them I would come to the office to pick it up. They told me there was no need to do that as they would deliver it right to our house. I wanted to pick it up at the office so I could do it on my schedule and not have have someone home for them to deliver it.

We live on the outskirts of Santiago.

gamana

Apr 24, 2006
Yes, as I said, big cities.
Santiago is a big city.
Try Las Terrenas...

Janin

not true. We live away from Santiago (135KM of mountain driving) UPS office and get our shipment delivered right to our door within 36 hours form the US so long it is under $200 value (no customs).

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
I actually have a UPS mailbox in the U.S. and over the past year have been having packages of mail shipped on a one a month basis. It is delivered directly to my front door (in POP) around the same time each month. That has been working for me although 4 days ago, when my mail was delivered, the UPS envelope had been opened (I believe at Aduana). That wasn't so bad. What angered me was that two very important pieces of mail (one a credit card statement, the other contained my S.S.#) had also been opened. When I called UPS to complain and find out what happened, I was given the run around and nobody had any answers. Even though they indicated someone would call me back, it's been 4 days now.......

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I just spotted a band spanking new looking FedEx delivery van trying to get it's way thru down town today! For a moment I thought I was in the States... but then three motoconchos trying to force their way oncoming against me soon reminded me I was... home, in Puelto Plata lindo. :)

I have also had some FedEx's delivered form the States directly to a business in Sosua. I haven't seen how it was delivered or who dropped it off.... but it got from South Florida in 3 days! One was a 3Lbs package.

... J-D.

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
all the answers to this post were mostly correct..But if you want to send alot such as 100 kg.or more it,s best to use Air Cargo..Only downfall to that is you must physically go to the airport and show ID to customs..American Airlines Cargo has the best and cheapest service..Continental runs a close second..But this is only to the USA...

Bellamona

Sep 18, 2007
getting mail in Sto dom

I'm new to Sto Dom but i take it that beyond Fed X, UPS or DHL there is no other way to securely get mail here - in Colombia I had an American Airlines apartado - anything like that available here?

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
FedEx or UPS

Speaking of FedEx, has anyone had this experience? Is this really how it is? The other day I went to send a package via FedEx to the IRS office in the U.S. It contained a personal check written by and signed by me from my bank in the U.S. I was told that it's not possible to send any personal check written on a foreign bank account via FedEX, UPS, or TNT going out of the DR. I thought I was hearing wrong and asked again for clarification. Again, I was told that it is not legally allowed. Didn't make a lot of sense to me. Didn't make sense to the folks at the IRS either seeing as they wanted their money. I was at the Western Union office in POP.

Can anybody enlighten me on this issue and/or give me advice for the future?

Last edited:

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Speaking of FedEx, has anyone had this experience? Is this really how it is? The other day I went to send a package via FedEx to the IRS office in the U.S. It contained a personal check written by and signed by me from my bank in the U.S. I was told that it's not possible to send any personal check written on a foreign bank account via FedEX, UPS, or TNT going out of the DR. I thought I was hearing wrong and asked again for clarification. Again, I was told that it is not legally allowed. Didn't make a lot of sense to me. Didn't make sense to the folks at the IRS either seeing as they wanted their money. I was at the Western Union office in POP.

Can anybody enlighten me on this issue and/or give me advice for the future?

I would be surprised this would really be the rule(s). Usually the people who work at these offices don't fully understand them and prefer to say "No" than to risk their job. You are not to send cash money, nor counter signed traveler checks or signed and endorsed personal checks.
Signed personal checks and bank (call them "certified" or "cashiers") checks should or at least have been OK by international standards.

... J-D.

trabajadora

Aug 29, 2007
Sending checks via FedEx

Well, that's what I thought too. Sounded crazy. It was my own personal check, written payable to the IRS, signed by me (not endorsed), drawn on my bank account in the U.S. The girl even called the Santo Domingo office while I waited and listened to her; then she verified that I couldn't do it.