Book hotel upon arrival?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gma

Jul 9, 2007
Hi!

We're going to DR in november, and haven't booked our hotel yet. Is it easy getting a hotelroom upon arrival if you're staying for 2 weeks in november (or would you rwecommend booking it on the web soon?)? We were thinking about staying in Sosua/Cabarete or somewhere on the north coast.

Gma

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hi!

We're going to DR in november, and haven't booked our hotel yet. Is it easy getting a hotelroom upon arrival if you're staying for 2 weeks in november (or would you rwecommend booking it on the web soon?)? We were thinking about staying in Sosua/Cabarete or somewhere on the north coast.

Gma
That's a difficult question to answer accurately.
Although it's not full blown high season at that point, some of the good hotels that offer great value, may be booked.
You will definitely be able to find something, but it might not be your first choice.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
GMA... Rocky's right.
Unless there is a holiday weekend in November (don't think so?? :paranoid:) you should be able to find a room with no problem. When you get here, just book your first hotel choice for one night or two, this will give you time to perhaps find something more to your liking for the rest of your stay.

If you want to give a list of preferences for the type of lodging and price range - I'd be happy to give you some ideas in the Cabarete area. I'm sure others can and will contribute with info on Cabarete, Sosua, and other areas that fit your requirements.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
GMA... Rocky's right.
Unless there is a holiday weekend in November (don't think so?? :paranoid:) you should be able to find a room with no problem. When you get here, just book your first hotel choice for one night or two, this will give you time to perhaps find something more to your liking for the rest of your stay.

If you want to give a list of preferences for the type of lodging and price range - I'd be happy to give you some ideas in the Cabarete area. I'm sure others can and will contribute with info on Cabarete, Sosua, and other areas that fit your requirements.
I almost forgot.
American Thanksgiving is the last Thursday in November, I believe.
Hotels do get pretty booked up around that time.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
And you might be able to get a better rate through sales on the internet...

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
And you might be able to get a better rate through sales on the internet...
That may apply to all inclusive packages, but rarely is the case for regular hotels. in fact, quite the contrary.
Some hotels are negotiable with their prices, specially if they are less than half full.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
it is not only AI's that raise rates. WHen i was in santo domingo in may i tried to do a walk in at mercure. I met someone who had gotten a great rate on line...and as a walk in they were going to charge me double that what the other traveler paid.

I'd start looking now and doing your research (read reviews etc).

One recommendation tho. If you DO book on-line (via email or whatnot)...get yourself a calling card and call to confirm.

I strongly recommend booking in advanced unless you dont mind staying at whatever place might have a spare room at an inflated price.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
it is not only AI's that raise rates. WHen i was in santo domingo in may i tried to do a walk in at mercure. I met someone who had gotten a great rate on line...and as a walk in they were going to charge me double that what the other traveler paid.
You are correct.
I chose my words poorly.
I should have said "high price" hotels, instead of AI.
The lower priced budget hotels of 50 bux down, are what I was talking about.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
you did have some good points tho rocky. it IS possible to get a decent rate as a walk in at some places...but i still recommend that the OP research and target where they want to stay. There was NO haggeling to be done at Mercure in SD...but a smaller more indie place one might have some luck.

Gma

Jul 9, 2007
Okey, so we should book a hotel now to get a good price.
Can you recommend a website with good prices? The sites I've checked out are norwegian sites (since we're from norway) and the cheapest hotel I've found is Hotel Paraiso Colon which costs around 80 US$ a night. It's a 2 star hotel. That's pretty cheap, but we'd like to stay at a nicer hotel...a 3 or 4 star...but that's a lot more expensive-around 130 US$ a night!

Can you recommend a nice hotel with a nice price on the north coast? Preferably in Sosua/Cabarete. It doesn't have to be an all inclusive hotel nor be next to a beach..

Thanks! :)

Gma

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Can you recommend a website with good prices? The sites I've checked out are norwegian sites (since we're from norway) and the cheapest hotel I've found is Hotel Paraiso Colon which costs around 80 US$ a night. It's a 2 star hotel. That's pretty cheap, but we'd like to stay at a nicer hotel...a 3 or 4 star...but that's a lot more expensive-around 130 US$ a night!

Can you recommend a nice hotel with a nice price on the north coast? Preferably in Sosua/Cabarete. It doesn't have to be an all inclusive hotel nor be next to a beach..

Gma
Sosua By The Sea,
SOSUA BY THE SEA, the finest hotel on the beach in Sosua Dominican Republic
Sosuajoe, one of the owners, is a DR1 member.
Perhaps he would have a special price for you7.
BTW: It's right on the water.
Your other choice is a bit far out.

DOMINCAN BOY

On Vacation!
Jun 6, 2006

Gma
Try Rocky A member on dr1Rocky's Rock & Blues Bar and Hotel, Sosua - Dominican Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.