I'm really sorry!

kel001

Sep 3, 2007
Hey, Im really sorry I know these questions have probably been asked a hundred times before but could really do with some advise.

Leaving for the dom rep on 28th of this month and staying at the casa marina reef in Sosua (any idea what this place is like?) and i really cant wait but have been made slightly nervous by some reviews ive read on other websites.

What should I really expect when I get to the airport, is there going to be people there snatching our suitcases off us and demanding tips?

Should we have any injections before we leave and do we need to take malaria tablets?

Is it safe to leave our hotel in the evenings?

During the day if we leave our hotel are we going to get dragged into shops by the owners?

You may think this seems a bit extreme but believe me this is how some people have made things out to be like!

Hope you can help. x

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Just be street smart and relaxed at the same time ! Be firm & friendly. You can go out day & night, just don't wear your diamond rings ;)
Forget about malaria, no problem...
If a guy deserves a tip, give him (20 or 50 pesos...), if not, just say no.
Of course, souvenir-shop employees will want to sell you stuff, but if you don't want, just say no, smile and go on.

Enjoy yourself, this is a great country, don't be turn off by those small things, there's much more to see !

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Hey, Im really sorry I know these questions have probably been asked a hundred times before but could really do with some advise.
No problem.

Leaving for the dom rep on 28th of this month and staying at the casa marina reef in Sosua (any idea what this place is like?) and i really cant wait but have been made slightly nervous by some reviews ive read on other websites.
Casa Marina's pretty kool.
It's one of the few All Inclusive hotels in the country that is located right in town, so you can just walk out the door and go wherever you please.

What should I really expect when I get to the airport, is there going to be people there snatching our suitcases off us and demanding tips?
The porters help you with your bags all the way to the bus, and you should have a few bux ready for them.

Should we have any injections before we leave and do we need to take malaria tablets?
No need.

We never hear of any thefts there.
Just exercise regular caution and common sense.

During the day if we leave our hotel are we going to get dragged into shops by the owners?
Some of the beach vendors seem aggressive at first, but a smile and "No gracias" go a long way.

You may think this seems a bit extreme but believe me this is how some people have made things out to be like!
Some folks see a half empty glass, others see it as half full.

drny

Jun 12, 2007
x

Hi;
I went to Casa Marina Reef for 4 nights out of my last trip back in February. Loved the place. The staff was great.
Also: Free live shows(a different one every night). Night Club on the premises which stays open till very late, outdoor jacuzzis, nice rooms, great food and nice ,friendly service. As stated earlier, it's right in town and you can walk outside and enjoy the neighborhood if you so desire. Felt pretty safe outside also even late at night and even though some of the bars are a little "seedy". Overall a great experience.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ten pendiente.....

Hope you can help. x
Listen, it's not like you are going to Baghdad where at any moment, BOOOM, something may go off.

Just use your common sense and behave the same way as if you were going to Mexico or any place else: WITH CAUTION!!.

You don't have to worry about the luggage handlers or street vendors, a simple STERN "NO" will do the job.

Someone said you shouldn't wear you diamond rings, well, that's taking it to the extreme. There are a whole lot of people, including myself, that nothing have happened to them even when wearing jewelry.

There only 3 things you have to do:

1- Be very careful
2- Use your common sense
3- Stay away from the Resort staff, especially the "animation guys", NO MATTER HOW FRIENDLY YOU THINK THEY ARE!!. And DO NOT take them on on their invitation to take you ANYWHERE outside the resort.

You WILL thank me later.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
All of the advise you have gotten is correct. We had clients stay there a month ago and they throughly enjoyed it. Can't beat the convience for getting into town.

Bob K

kel001

Sep 3, 2007
Thanks for all your replies it made me feel loads better. Obviously we will be careful as we would which ever country we visited but the way some people talk - its as though we're going to be attacked from all angles!!!

Still cant wait and wont let anything anybody says put us off! Only 3 weeks to go!

Thanks again. x